New daily driver BMW 760i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to let you all know:
This car will be 100% and immaculate soon
The red ribbon trans release missing flap defeated 3 dealers but I got lucky getting a master tech at Liverpool who said the tow drivers use this and don't replace the cover, it's on order.
The supplying dealer told me the BMW version of keyless go doesn't work on back doors which I believed until I tried the passenger side back door that opened / closed the rest so it's in for a new door handle or sensor.
This car is double glazed by pilkington, same as the CL500 and 2 years apart. The BMW glass is solid and totally transparent where the Merc glass was fooked on all 4 windows. Do you think mb asked for cheaper glass?
The leather though not nappa looks like it will never wear out, the bolsters are like new at 38k
Compared to the CL the BMW feels like a much higher quality item which hurts a bit, it's similar to the SL of 2004 in quality though which must have escaped my cost cutting.

Quick update:

Car bonnet and passenger doors painted by indie body shop and part paid (soon) by the BMW dealer I hope

The wheels are great - happy with that.

Doors good, not brilliant but passable and much better than they were
Bonnet is bloody awful with small sinks in the paint and even a dead fly caught for posterity. Will take It up with them on Monday - spoilt the weekend 1, spoilt the weekend 2 is the near side headlamp is slightly pushed in, pushing the wing out so instead of a flush fit the leading edge of the wing sticks out where it meets the edge of the headlight. It isn't new, no bolts have been undone and no inside damage is visible it's quite odd, I will get his fixed by BMW. Spoilt the weekend 3 is its acquired a scratch on the roof and the glass roof, nothing huge but looks like the body shop had something trail over the roof.

I'm not going to get hormonal as none of this is huge just a pain in the ****.

So, it came out worse than when it went in?

Impressive.

Quick update:

Car bonnet and passenger doors painted by indie body shop and part paid (soon) by the BMW dealer I hope

The wheels are great - happy with that.

Doors good, not brilliant but passable and much better than they were
Bonnet is bloody awful with small sinks in the paint and even a dead fly caught for posterity. Will take It up with them on Monday - spoilt the weekend 1, spoilt the weekend 2 is the near side headlamp is slightly pushed in, pushing the wing out so instead of a flush fit the leading edge of the wing sticks out where it meets the edge of the headlight. It isn't new, no bolts have been undone and no inside damage is visible it's quite odd, I will get his fixed by BMW. Spoilt the weekend 3 is its acquired a scratch on the roof and the glass roof, nothing huge but looks like the body shop had something trail over the roof.

I'm not going to get hormonal as none of this is huge just a pain in the ****.

Poor, very poor indeed. Not what anyone would expect on any vehicle. Never mind we keep winning golds don't we (Said the Games skeptic) Even then the seat came off!!! Ooops that was silver by a sliver.

Last edited:
Body shop was my choice my call my fault - they paid (may pay) the £400 and I paid extra or more work.
Roof scratch - body shop fault
Poor paint - body shop
Headlight / wing you wouldn't notice it, I can't be sure it wasn't there from collection and maybe happened with the bonnet dent - cant believe I didn't see it and no evidence of recent unbolting etc no internal brackets broken totally flummoxed will ask BMW to fix regardless.
All in car will have cost under £20k once all fixed still a great deal - just time consuming and I not have much time at the moment.

Hell of a lot of car for £20K. Wish I had a 6 litre V12 as a daily driver! I go to work in a Fiat Panda..

Cheers,

Gaz

Gets worse - it's been to Williams who said it needs
: new telematics controller
: 2 rear door handles
: 2 wheel bearings
: a sunroof
All under warranty but not the sunroof which is circa £4k fitted
The roof is slightly warped causing extra wind noise in the car.
This would be 20% of the cars cost, god knows what will happen - updates soon folks.
(only to me, only happens to me)

Blimey, this keeps going on! You have more patience than I. Hope you get it all sorted soon

Thing is its a great car, I got it cheap (relatively) and in time it will be better than ever. When the new telematics controller is fitted I get a manual fior it as its a later version with better functionality .
Sunroof is a weird one, if you pull the cover over its quiet and ok but they insist it must be changed - just working out who pays ;-)

Car went into Williams today for 3 days ! List of work on an approved BMW is
New telematics and full reload of all program's / software - warranty
2 new rear door handles with keyless go sensors - warranty
2 n/s wheel bearings - warranty
N/s wing unbolted and refitted - I pay
New sunroof seal - I pay
Wheel alignment check - I pay
Creaking seat - I pay
I'm in for about £270 for this work after paying £700 on bodywork and wheels of which £400 was repaid.
Car is still very very good value and I'm still smitten with build, refinement and kit count. One thing was the laggy box / ferocious box with nothing Inbetween - in sport it's so aggressive but I'm told new software evens this out.
A very easy jump in and go car with no worries about leaving it anywhere or parking issues as its not that big, I have to keep this for a little longer than usual due to child duties so the real test is how long till get bored :-D

Call today - whilst changing a wheel bearing a track rod end looked poor so it is changed under warranty, meaning the tracking needs doing free of charge to me (4 wheel job not just the front) Result!

Pick it up Thursday - cant wait.

Interesting stuff. (I need to get 30 posts in order to use private message)

Yes, and you're probably going to need to have a bit of a chat to the Admin too as I think they prefer corned beef to Spam.

Nice car Dave - that V12 is a bloody bargain! I bet it feels like it's carved out of stone!

However, surely even a Jag would've had less faults? ;) What was it you said....life's too short?? :D

re the box; you can reset it and it will relearn your style. it may help with the changes - its a commonly talked about thing on BMW forums. i think its pressing the gas pedal for x amount of seconds whilst pressing the start button iirc. new software probably has same effect. i did it to my E65 735 and it did make a difference.

Palmball said:
Nice car Dave - that V12 is a bloody bargain! I bet it feels like it's carved out of stone!

However, surely even a Jag would've had less faults? ;) What was it you said....life's too short?? :D

Well Andrew yes and no with this. A jag would have been prepped better I'm sure but under this crap is an awesome machine far far from a 730d - its worth the effort

As an approved BMW it should not have had a dent, wing issue and the rest but as I have discovered if you buy from far away you need to trust the dealer and I did but never again. Basically the car was very cheap (warranty is £2300 alone or over 10% of the car) miles were low and it's a shorty a very rare car. Prep was skimped on probably because they knew it was a blind distance purchase - cynical hey.

My local dealer has been great but I have learnt lots here, my local loves me cos it's a warranty money pit so they are doing everything on it - entire telematics amazing, the software update took hours - as BMW pay them loads so keep me sweet.

Normally I am quite easygoing but I felt "done over" and the lesson learnt is

Sunroof noisy
Local said swap it
Supplier said bring it in as they don't want to pay to swap it
Ok I'll bring it in 500 round trip I can accept and we would have a short break
If it can't be adjusted out (it can't) we will do whatever it takes - ok
Now the piss take, a new roof glass is 10 days from Germany so I would have to stay South for a fortnight FFS
Lifes too short thinking kicked in and I've decided to pay or a new seal and it is what it is, it's not keeping me awake at night.

Apparently all new bmws have remote unlocking from customer services if you register a passcode - that's impressive and slightly worrying.

Enjoy the XKR-s I belted a French blue one round oulton park a few months back, it was very accurate in the corners. Lovely

Thanks Dave - I am very excited now as I beleiev the car has turned up at the dealer and I should have it next week :)

Anyway....I was just taking the mick and well done for taking it in the jest it was meant :thumb: I am sure your car is a far cry from a 730d and will be amazingly engineered.

BMW's have some ridiculously cool telematics stuff and yes, my later ones had things like the ability to remote unlock etc. They appear to be leagues ahead of even their German counterparts with their electronics, although the system I've seen in newer Audis' also looks impressive. Not sure how the latest Mercs compare TBH.

You'll get there with it and lets face it, you're swanning about in a £100k (ish?) car for not a lot of cash so I you've definitely made the smart move here!

Got car back and a delightful experience with the dealer.

Wing off, headlight aligned and bumper aligned - £48
New sunroof seal, roof set and seat desqueak, new private plates made and fitted £103

That's under Indy money! I can only guess they made loads on the warrant work?!

Will write up how it is now later on - need to drive it on more first :)

If ever there was a 20k bargain that is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom