New daily driver BMW 760i

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It does appear to have all the toys, and whilst you state the build quality is top knotch, hasn't it had loads of problems for a top of the range car with 38,000 miles?

I've learnt a lot by buying this car, I didn't realise how skint some dealers are that they spend the total minimum on prep as they see fit, I've learnt they can **** up prices and generally behave like the worst street trader. Maybe some of you knew that but I didn't think the prep could ever be as bad as my CLS55 from Nottingham that had near flat tyres, missing parts and no docs and cost me £53k in 2008 (notts thought derby prepped it and no one checked).

Car is near perfect now and the nugget I have learnt is that dealers make good money from changing stuff under warranty. Eg noisy sunroof, started as a £4k fix, then new glass at £1800 on the end I paid £130 for a seal and it's perfect but a new roof would have gone in under different circumstances. New telematics (huge £) needed to be done as I couldn't get google up on the display, necessary no but done anyway.

So after 4 wheel refurb, some paint, new wheel centres, roof seal, wheel bearings (made no diff it's noisy tyres), minor bodywork, telematics, keyless go door handles (could have been cleaned I thought) and a detail it's a perfect weapon that is giving 15mpg round town and up to 25mpg on a run with truly devastating relentless surge that shames the V12 Aston I had and is every bit as thrilling as any of my past cars (maybe not the 55 SC engined one but not far off)

I totally love it, not loved anything as much since that CLS55 in 2008 and its cost me in total £19,500. As a tool its a bargain, as a car it's immense, as a sensible buy it's eminently sensible as fuel is offset by price tag.

I must dislike something - of course, sport suspension mode = idrive, select settings, scroll to suspension press in = ridiculous it should be one button. Seats are TOO adjustable, they cause me comfort anguish (I'm comfy but could I be comfier?), nav screen is too far away, easy exit steering wheel doesn't account for short fat drivers like a Merc one does, ventilation is over complicated and still perplexes me, no temp gauge. That's it really.

Forward dilemma is warranty it's over £2k to renew or 15% of the cars value in a years time, if I stay in love and things are still tight in GB UK I will renew it, if not then possibly a new model 7 could be got cheap as they are face lifting the new one any day now.

DSLiverpool said:
I've learnt a lot by buying this car, I didn't realise how skint some dealers are that they spend the total minimum on prep as they see fit, I've learnt they can **** up prices and generally behave like the worst street trader. Maybe some of you knew that but I didn't think the prep could ever be as bad as my CLS55 from Nottingham that had near flat tyres, missing parts and no docs and cost me £53k in 2008 (notts thought derby prepped it and no one checked).

Car is near perfect now and the nugget I have learnt is that dealers make good money from changing stuff under warranty. Eg noisy sunroof, started as a £4k fix, then new glass at £1800 on the end I paid £130 for a seal and it's perfect but a new roof would have gone in under different circumstances. New telematics (huge £) needed to be done as I couldn't get google up on the display, necessary no but done anyway.

So after 4 wheel refurb, some paint, new wheel centres, roof seal, wheel bearings (made no diff it's noisy tyres), minor bodywork, telematics, keyless go door handles (could have been cleaned I thought) and a detail it's a perfect weapon that is giving 15mpg round town and up to 25mpg on a run with truly devastating relentless surge that shames the V12 Aston I had and is every bit as thrilling as any of my past cars (maybe not the 55 SC engined one but not far off)

I totally love it, not loved anything as much since that CLS55 in 2008 and its cost me in total £19,500. As a tool its a bargain, as a car it's immense, as a sensible buy it's eminently sensible as fuel is offset by price tag.

I must dislike something - of course, sport suspension mode = idrive, select settings, scroll to suspension press in = ridiculous it should be one button. Seats are TOO adjustable, they cause me comfort anguish (I'm comfy but could I be comfier?), nav screen is too far away, easy exit steering wheel doesn't account for short fat drivers like a Merc one does, ventilation is over complicated and still perplexes me, no temp gauge. That's it really.

Forward dilemma is warranty it's over £2k to renew or 15% of the cars value in a years time, if I stay in love and things are still tight in GB UK I will renew it, if not then possibly a new model 7 could be got cheap as they are face lifting the new one any day now.

Can one of the spare shortcut buttons not be set to scroll to set sport suspension mode?

Unfortunately not, two programmable buttons but limited programmability.

Car back in, nothing stopping it moving but a few things need resolving

It still thrums over 40mph they have diagnosed a wheel bearing but it's already had 2, I'm hoping it fixes it now.

Sunroof auto reverses on tilt close, no biggy but they have diagnosed a new motor (!)

Squeaky bush when 3+ up, new bushes being fitted

That's it, disappointing but these things happen, problem is wheel bearings take 4+ days from Germany and need pressing in taking ages so it needs another visit.

They gave me a 118d sport with 70 miles on the clock, this is a seriously impressive car with Eco pro, comfort and sport settings, keyless go, electric bolsters and amazing economy. I just can't get used to a manual these days.

Car back in, nothing stopping it moving but a few things need resolving

It still thrums over 40mph they have diagnosed a wheel bearing but it's already had 2, I'm hoping it fixes it now.

Sunroof auto reverses on tilt close, no biggy but they have diagnosed a new motor (!)

Squeaky bush when 3+ up, new bushes being fitted

That's it, disappointing but these things happen, problem is wheel bearings take 4+ days from Germany and need pressing in taking ages so it needs another visit.

They gave me a 118d sport with 70 miles on the clock, this is a seriously impressive car with Eco pro, comfort and sport settings, keyless go, electric bolsters and amazing economy. I just can't get used to a manual these days.

Daft question, but have they tried swapping the tyres around? I had an odd vibration which it took several investigations and a very good tyre garage to spot a tyre that was not perfectly round. New tyre resolved, what I was convinced was a car problem - that was on a E65 (but a lowly 730D).

The service guys were amazing, shortly before we finally found out what it was the service manager had booked it in to coincide when he could bring his dad's car in with the same wheels to swap over. That was impressive customer service I thought.

It would be interesting to see how much it has cost the dealer to fix all the broken bits under warranty

David, the dealer is sure it's a wheel bearing and it will have 4 new ones now, good for me I guess

Nigel, the new telematics module alone was £2k fitted so I think £4k ish or 20% of the cars value so far

Whoever gets this after me for about £14k will have done well.

I had one of these a few years ago, in fact I think I still have a set of coil packs in the garage, cost loads to run and something was always failing, drove much better after being remapped, you will be fine to a point on warranty then you will start getting hit with wear and tear, especially if the suspension starts knocking that starts around £4k for the bits, save yourself some money and get rid, it's a big heavy barge and plenty of much better cars, A8 W12 for example I have had 3 over the years much better than the Beemer in all aspects.

It's back!

It had 2 wheel bearings last time but although I kidded myself it was better it wasn't turns out they put 2 front bearings on not two left sided ones so now I have 4 new wheel bearings, a new sunroof motor and a restore of the software.

Now the only sound is tyres, the thrum has gone and I'd had that thrum from day1, it's very serene - lovely.

I was given a 320i new sport (trim spec not m sport) very disappointed with it as guys of a certain age will recall 320i bmws in the 80s as THE engine to have, creamy smooth, turbine esq well not now, I had to lift the bonnet to check it was a 6.

So 760i 2008 has had (since collection)

New wheel centres
Rear door handles (keyless open micro gone)
Sunroof seal
Sunroof motor
New telematics module
Software restore (2)
4 wheel laser track
4 wheel bearings
New Bosch blades
N/S Track rod end
Lubed bushes cure occasional squeak.
Drivers seat has felt pads to eliminate squeak.

Possibly more will check

Last edited:
Couldn't tell cyls as big plastic cover over engine. Rough as hell though.

Couldn't tell cyls as big plastic cover over engine. Rough as hell though.

The N43 engine used in the 318i & 320i is plagued with problems. My friend who had a 320i had his coil packs replaced 4 times and a couple of injectors replaced in his 2 years of ownership.

There's a massive thread about it on the BMW forum

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom