• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Official Mercedes Rear Subframe Extended Warranty (Multiple Models)

Hi , If a Mercedes car has a full Mercedes service history is not unreasonable that the car should be repaired by Mercedes FOC. If the car does not have a Mercedes service could Mercedes argue that they would picked up the issue had the car been serviced in the service network.

The problem as I see it that most Mercedes cars leave the cradle at 3 years or so perhaps not given a goodwill repair !

I took my car to a well respected indie on the South Coast to have mine inspected.

This is the real benefit of our club , knowledge.
A reasonable point. I’ve had my car for 11 years from new and had it serviced by MB every year. Since hearing of the subframe disasters I’ve been asking them to check it at every service, so far getting the ok each time. I’d be more than a little disappointed if mine failed and they refused to replace it foc.

A reasonable point. I’ve had my car for 11 years from new and had it serviced by MB every year. Since hearing of the subframe disasters I’ve been asking them to check it at every service, so far getting the ok each time. I’d be more than a little disappointed if mine failed and they refused to replace it foc.
Serviced by Mercedes for 11 years, you could have saved enough to replace it yourself and have money left over if you'd went elsewhere?

It's identical to an A service.
It's basically an oil change and not recognized as an official Mercedes service, it's designed for older cars that would normally not pay Mercedes prices. You also lose your 30 year rust warranty and breakdown cover.

Last edited:
It's basically an oil change and not recognized as an official Mercedes service, it's designed for older cars that would normally not pay Mercedes prices. You also lose your 30 year rust warranty and breakdown cover.
Wouldn't you also lose that, and mobillo, with a service at an indy garage too?

Wouldn't you also lose that, and mobillo, with a service at an indy garage too?
Yes you would, but I was replying to the post where it was claimed some MB dealers were cheaper than an indy, and thats the reason why, they are not offering an official MB authorised service, they are trying to the get the business of 7 year old cars that normally would not go near an MB dealer at normal A & B service pricing.

Last edited:
I read on MBWorld W212 forum that MB USA has officially extended the warranty of the rear subframe to 20 years and unlimited milage on the following models:

C Class Sedan Couple (W/C204)
E class Wagon / Sedan / Couple / Cab (S/W212 and C/A207)
GLK Class (X204)
SL Class (R231)
CLS-Class (C218)
SLK Class (R171 and R172)

Here's the thread: W212 rear subframe extended warranty - MBWorld.org Forums

Has anyone heard of an official word in the UK?
Getting my 2011, 60000 mile, CLS C218 done FOC. They’ve said l will have to pay for any clamps/bolts etc. that get damaged during the renewal but that’s all.

Getting my 2011, 60000 mile, CLS C218 done FOC. They’ve said l will have to pay for any clamps/bolts etc. that get damaged during the renewal but that’s all.
That will be every single bolt and elastomer on the subframe that as they are not supposed to be re used. That can become VERY expensive . If I were you I would double check what they expect you to pay for , I would push to pay for nothing .

What if they decide they can't re use any of the suspension links due to 'safety' concerns. ? You really must get this sorted in writing .

Example : the shock absorber bolt kit cost around £25....per side . It consists of one bolt a few nuts and washers and a rubber part.

The cost (at the moment) to you could run into the many hundreds of pounds.

Here's my invoice for when it was done including all fixings etc

Attachments

• IMG-20230603-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230603-WA0000.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 60
Went to MB today to pick up a couple of parts and noticed this waiting in the small parts room where the customers queue up.

I asked a very young employee (who maybe wasn’t aware to keep silent) if they’ve had many in and he said they have 5 or 6 in right now and a bunch waiting for the parts as there’s a huge demand on the subframes as they didn’t expect to be replacing subframes on ‘all’ models of this era.

He called it a ‘huge recall’ (obviously it’s not really a recall) and said they’d forgotten to protect the metal and that it was a design flaw from factory. Obviously it’s nice to know that they know, even if they don’t accept liability publicly.

(Also seems promising that this local MB shop wouldn’t put up too much of a fight if mine goes)

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpeg
    IMG_3123.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 22
Yes you would, but I was replying to the post where it was claimed some MB dealers were cheaper than an indy, and thats the reason why, they are not offering an official MB authorised service, they are trying to the get the business of 7 year old cars that normally would not go near an MB dealer at normal A & B service pricing.

Some dealerships offer large discounts for older cars - all the Sandown group sites (MB Basingstoke, Dorchester, Epsom, Farnborough, Guildford, Hindhead, Newbury, Poole & Salisbury) give an automatic 40% off labour at 6 years old, plus up to 15% off parts (and cheap MOTs):

I used MB Guildford until I moved a couple of years ago and they were excellent, allowing me to supply my own oil (from Costco) and never pushing to do extra work (the opposite in fact, recommending that I dropped my R129 from annual to 2-yearly services because of the low mileage it did).

Unfortunately I don't think any of the dealerships up here do anything similar :(

I left my car in today for a subframe replacement, initially I was told this would be covered by Mercedes but then they called me back to say that there would be a charge of almost £500 for the rubbers. My own garage have told me this should be covered as you would not replace a subframe without new rubbers. Can anyone advise if this was covered in their subframe replacement or if they had to pay extra for it? Many thanks

^^^^ There you go post, #78 . Heed my warning (post #75) . Get everything in writing and try your very best to agree to pay for NOTHING . Not all MB dealerships were created equal and they seem to se the 'FOC' subframe thing different to each other.

I left my car in today for a subframe replacement, initially I was told this would be covered by Mercedes but then they called me back to say that there would be a charge of almost £500 for the rubbers. My own garage have told me this should be covered as you would not replace a subframe without new rubbers. Can anyone advise if this was covered in their subframe replacement or if they had to pay extra for it? Many thanks
It should have been (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom