OM642 PCV Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I taught that the pipe have a number on itself. But probably not. Anyway thank you

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

I bought new orange seals (main turbo one, the breather pipe one, and even the two oval ones just after the air filters) from mercedes a few days ago and it didn't look like that... it looked exactly the same as the old one!

It would do - you need a new PCV unit with the pipe to get the new style seal, or just a new pipe if you can get that. As the new style seal is factory fitted you cannot buy the new seal separately.

Okay, great.

Can anybody confirm that this is the same part no. for 231bhp and 265bhp W212 OM642 engines?

Anyone selling the pair together for a reasonable price?

I’d swap mine and my dad’s!

what's the advantage swapping these? Mine is an 642 with 265bhp and on 120k. Is it an easy job?

what's the advantage swapping these? Mine is an 642 with 265bhp and on 120k. Is it an easy job?

Advantage is described in earlier posts, takes about 10 mins to change - 3 bolts, 1 electrical connector and push the seal into place.

This is what happens when the seal needs changing and doesn’t get changed......
First it makes a load of mess when the oil mist goes everywhere, then eventually it gets sucked in and eaten by the turbo.
I know this is a neglected car but if there is any sign of oil around there on your car it’s worth acting ASAP.
f4612ae33f81954a675ccda64990f6d4.jpg

My seals were changed when the oil cooler seals were replaced. I do have some oily grime around the drivers side of the x pipe. Would doing this swap eliminate this?
The area in front of the turbo inlet looks clean and the bright orange new seal is clearly visible. Forgive me being a bit thick, but how would the pcv small orange seal get sucked into the turbo if the inlet pipe it present?
I know this can happen with the larger seal which fits on the turbo inlet as pictured above.

Also, is the complete unit mentioned compatible with W212 OM642's?
Thanks

It can and does happen, usually as the seal degrades, it becomes soft and loose. the breather can fall through into the pipe due to the suction of the turbo.
I think that sloppy workmanship can be to blame too, if the seal is poor fitting someone being rough could push it through when refitting the pipe.

My seals were changed when the oil cooler seals were replaced. I do have some oily grime around the drivers side of the x pipe. Would doing this swap eliminate this?
The area in front of the turbo inlet looks clean and the bright orange new seal is clearly visible. Forgive me being a bit thick, but how would the pcv small orange seal get sucked into the turbo if the inlet pipe it present?
I know this can happen with the larger seal which fits on the turbo inlet as pictured above.

Also, is the complete unit mentioned compatible with W212 OM642's?
Thanks

The simple conclusion I came to on a 133K mile engine was:

a) £80 approx to replace PCV and turbo seal (10 mins to replace) and have peace of mind and ended up with a smoother running engine
or
b) risk playing Russian roulette and possibly end up with a £2000 bill for a new turbo.

Mine is at 121K, just done both orange seals as my turbo one has a split in it. also opened PCV valve to check diaphragm, all ok.

Was somebody of you guys thinking about elephant hose mod or with oil catch can?

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

Mine is at 121K, just done both orange seals as my turbo one has a split in it. also opened PCV valve to check diaphragm, all ok.

Interesting that you managed to get the PCV apart without damaging the diaphragm - I took mine apart and found the rubber was hardening and I certainly wouldn't have trusted it to function properly if it was re-assembled even if the rubber diaphragm was still serviceable.

Interesting that you managed to get the PCV apart without damaging the diaphragm - I took mine apart and found the rubber was hardening and I certainly wouldn't have trusted it to function properly if it was re-assembled even if the rubber diaphragm was still serviceable.
I left out the part of it being a total pain in the **** to open and 4 x small screwdrivers lol. No the diaphragm was in really good condition, i totally removed it and opened the fold so to speak to check it properly (it is not bonded or glued in, it just sits on lip of lower hosing). then i fitted it back in and snapped it shut.
you do understand these are very simple things, a plastic housing in two parts, a diaphragm and a spring and that's it.

So, is anyone able to tell me how I can get a new PCV and pipe for my W212 E350 CDI without having to deal with a MB dealer? Because I am really put off dealing with the dealers!

It's hard to find the part number for my car - I think it's different to the one in the OM642 in the E320 CDIs, as in this thread.

And it's called 500 different things, in different places!

Edit: just mustered up the energy to call MB Cardiff - the somewhat depressed sounding parts chap couldn't find the part from my description, so is sending over a picture of the engine for me to be able to pick the part out. No email as of yet...

...this is why I hate dealing with MB stealers!

Last edited:
Some progress - I found this video online from a guy with a W212 E350 CDI and I froze the screen and managed to get the number off the unit in the video (see below)

The number was: A6420100591

Then I found this thread on another forum: Part Number Please

They're saying that the £25 has been superseded and is now £85... whatever, at least I have some sort of part number to go with. The guy in the video only uploaded it in December 2018 so it can't be that old...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks like there's plenty of places on ebay doing it for around £25 if you can wait a few days for delivery.

Brave man, doing this job with snow on the ground!

In my 20's maybe, not now....

Subscribed. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom