OM642 PCV Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jut called MB and yes it’s £85+vat, and it does come with a hose. It has been ‘upgraded’, I’m thinking it’s all exactly the same as the W211 part

He said it was for the W212 but seemed a bit shakey about it

So... over £100 for this part... sigh...

Looks like there's plenty of places on ebay doing it for around £25 if you can wait a few days for delivery.

Brave man, doing this job with snow on the ground!

In my 20's maybe, not now....

Alas, any £25 part is not gonna be a genuine MB part :(

I’ve seen a from Germany that are £61+15pp which is still a saving.

Last edited:
Ah, not right now, which is when I wanted to buy! I contacted the seller and asked if the Jeep one is the same let and he says it’s not... he’s run out of the ‘correct’ ones.

There were some last week, but they’re all the same seller in Germany (the one I contacted and the OP bought his from).

I’ll have to wait a bit for some to come up, or just pony up the extra £30-35

I still can't see any about at the moment, so for the sake of about £30, I'm just going to have to bend over and buy one from MB (£102), instead of driving around with vapour coming out of mine! :)

All sorted! Can’t wait to fit it, when I get a free moment

Quietly hoping for it to fix my EML issues

CAFF4F18-F657-4839-966E-AC070C103351.jpeg

Sorted this today - no more smoke! Car starts and idles okay, I'll be giving it a big drive tomorrow as a good test :)

Word of warning for W212 owners - it's considerably more tricky than W211 because there's a bracket clamped on top of the PCV which makes access to two of the three bolts very, very tricky. You need a long, thin, flexible way of attaching an E10 torx 'through' the bracket, to gain access to the two bolts - I had to improvise and cobble together a bunch of adaptors, but was so glad that I was able to sort it and didn't have to put it all back together and go buy some more tools!

Mine took a coulple of hours as I... ahem... I removed two bolts that were unbelievably tricky to get to and remove at the back of the engine, thinking they were the ones I needed to get off to get the bracket out of the way... but they weren't... so that was an utter waste of time! I also didn't really have anything to go on for a W212, other than that pretty bad video above. It's hard to describe, sorry!

Oh and finally - a telescopic magnetic torch tool is very useful as it's very likely that you're going to drop stuff (bolts, nuts, sockets etc) into the undertray...

Cheers,

Ed

95F51152-5B50-4638-87FB-395BDD6087A7.jpeg C3FFD146-EE22-4AE5-85AE-F7C1BF1B4C93.jpeg A0D3415F-B8EE-46D4-B9DC-96F6D7DC5910.jpeg 52107A03-47A7-47C4-A2EB-E49C2DDA3647.jpeg CC618769-DFE1-45F1-A727-DA7346B98453.jpeg

Last edited:
As an update, the car got a few more MPG and did seem to pull better and harder - certainly feels like it’s running 100%. Very happy I sorted it!

A heads up for the owners of a 265bhp OM642 - this is not the same part

Just replaced a turbo seal on my dad’s engine and noticed that there’s no PCV - the breather pipe comes out of the back of the engine directly.

Quite a few differences, actually...

i wondered why I couldn't find it - thought I was going mad!
Thanks

No problem!

Here are some pics, the first one with the new style pipe with the orange but at the end is my car, a 231bhp OM642 on a 59 plate W212

The second and following pictures are all from a 60 plate W212 with the 265bhp OM642 engine.

The first two pics show the different pipe design, the rest show where the pipe ventures off to, somewhere in the back of the engine.

Hope it’s helpful to someone!

Ed

6B3D3793-F615-4187-8F8E-D81AD0FC9613.jpeg
3C7DDA6B-24AD-44C3-A898-EE48E9E7C0F6.jpeg
9B3C2A6C-A2A7-4090-96AA-3BD38683AEA8.jpeg 542FC4E0-438C-4575-8C81-78C9C5187D00.jpeg B92BB7AF-916C-42F3-8EC6-D2028C3EEFD3.jpeg

that certainly looks like mine in the 2nd set of pictures. So is that a pcv? I have noticed some oily residue by the pipe where the red seal joins - the seal was replaced a few months back.

Thanks for the pictures and part numbers, i never thought my breather was this bad, and i get the car serviced on time too !8BF20627_9046_40D7_B627_D16D6185D394__1561156925_73153.jpg

Possibly this part number for the 265bhp engine

A6420101791

No replaced part number in the zap online catalogue

ENGINE BREATHING MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

If you search ebay for the part number and compare with the catalogue and the pictures shown above, it looks like the PCV is tucked just down behind the back of the engine where the pipe disappears in teddyruxpin's pictures above. It also now looks like it's made from aluminium, so the VALVE might be less likely to fail. Need to investigate the pipe connection with turbo inlet.

Let's hope it's much improved, because new on eBay start at over £100. Plus access for changing it looks, we, challenging.

The body may be aluminium but the diaphragm is still going to be rubber unless they have completely changed the design

Possibly this part number for the 265bhp engine

A6420101791

No replaced part number in the zap online catalogue

ENGINE BREATHING MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

If you search ebay for the part number and compare with the catalogue and the pictures shown above, it looks like the PCV is tucked just down behind the back of the engine where the pipe disappears in teddyruxpin's pictures above. It also now looks like it's made from aluminium, so the VALVE might be less likely to fail. Need to investigate the pipe connection with turbo inlet.

Let's hope it's much improved, because new on eBay start at over £100. Plus access for changing it looks, we, challenging.

FWIW.......

The connection to the turbocharger inlet was updated / upgraded to a new design.

The old style seal{the small red seal] would get soft / deteriorate.
Reports of the seal being sucked into the turbocharger, very expensive repair when this occurs.

The new red seal has ears and has factory installed metal band to hold the seal to the assembly to prevent the small seal being sucked into the turbocharge.

I changed mine, $115.00 for a new assembly is cheap compared to repairing / changing the turbocharger.

Regards

Joseph

My engine is 642.852.
Just been on the phone with an incredibly grumpy parts person who clearly thought I didn't have a clue what I was talking about and they know best (pretty typical when phoning Mercedes parts in my experience).

A6420101791 - Breather hose with aluminium valve. £114 including VAT. This original fit part is the latest part number and not superceded.
A6420940580 - this is the seal that 'can get sucked into the turbo' on the end of the PCV pipe where it connects to the turbo inlet pipe. This is also original fit on this engine, and has not been superceded either. However, it IS the same part number as the problem seal on the older engines e.g. E320 CDI 642.920.

W0133-2047027 - this is the part where the guy got really annoyed. He said it's not a Mercedes part number, and definitely not in Europe.
Also, if I put this part number into the online Merc catalogues, it says not recognised.
I suspect that either this is region specific (US), or actually an aftermarket mod? In any event, it's not available in the UK.
The revised seal with extra long body to allow the clamping is not available anywhere as far as I can tell.

The only option to get the modified seal for the E350 would seem to be to buy the full modified pipe from the older engine (£75 to £110, part number A6420100591 and Chrysler part number K05175514AB), and then cut off the factory jubilee clip and take the modified seal off and fit to a new PCV pipe (£114).

Upgraded pipe for the older engine for £74.99 on eBay:
Mercedes C320 CDI 3.0L PCV Oil Separator PCV Valve K05175514AB, A6420100591 | eBay

Total bill for DIY is circa £200, but would eliminate the seal sucked into turbo risk.
Strange that Merc have modified the older engine PCV seal, but not the newer engines when it is exactly the same part number.
Need to consider if I need to spend £200 on this at the moment. What a pain!

Just investigating Mercedes part A6420102491 for the 265bhp OM642 engine.
Listed as fitting the S350 CDI and ML350 CDI, 2010 to 2013. Available for around £100 in the UK.
Query into Merc HQ.

The US obviously have access to something, and that is also listed as fitting the R350 CDI, and under a non-Mercedes part number, fitting the E350 CDI, so someone is making something that fits with Mercedes genuine parts.

I have 57 ML with OM642 and have fitted a Catch Can with internal Baffles. My question is, as not very clear....the actual PCV valve itself as pic:-
pcv.JPG
Which I have fitted, has this been changed internaly in any way or as I suspect, is the "updated part" people refer to the above with the changed and modified PIPE and the seal on the end of the fume heater?
In simple terms, does the above still have a spring and diaphragm inside? Only ask as mines current in the Garage for NEW Oil cooler+Seals Swirl Motor and swirl fix and we talked about this...garage seems to think the new ones dont have the valve inside and simply have some sort of spiral channel that makes it harder for actual oil to get past?
Reason? My catch can can have a Filter added....but the valve if still used would not close on vacume due to this....but if the "new updated" PVC does not have a valve in it, I think this would help.

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom