Ordering Licence Plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i think all plates comes with no holes.

No holes pre-drilled, but you should take the chance to fix the plates with double sided tape - nice easy to clean finish:D and no ugly plastic screws etc..:(

if anyone on here wants plates and doesnt mind having mercland on the bottom i can make you a pair with GB logo, black border and 3D letters for £13 pair posted.

You can see some at the GTG...

I think they stand out with the 3D lettering...

Plates you buy online, without the maker's name & postcode, are not legal in the UK and will fail an MOT at some point in the future. So you might as well buy legal plates

Halfords and most parts suppliers do them. You'll need a V5 and ID (passport, etc) so check you have what is required before you go

Before you whinge about the requirements in the UK to get plates bear in mind that the fine for making up illegal plates is up to £5000. That's for the person who makes them, not the shop. So expect a high standard of paperwork checking from the person who agrees to make them for you

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Jay: I've already ordered a pair - it will be for next time!

Nick Froome: That only really applies to cars/plates made after 2001 - the whale is an elderly lady...

Michele

Plates you buy online, without the maker's name & postcode, are not legal in the UK and will fail an MOT at some point in the future. So you might as well buy legal plates

Halfords and most parts suppliers do them. You'll need a V5 and ID (passport, etc) so check you have what is required before you go

Before you whinge about the requirements in the UK to get plates bear in mind that the fine for making up illegal plates is up to £5000. That's for the person who makes them, not the shop. So expect a high standard of paperwork checking from the person who agrees to make them for you

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk
:p

Nick Froome: That only really applies to cars/plates made after 2001
Exactly. Plates made after 2001 - that means yours ;)

In fact to be precise, it's plates fitted on or after September 1st 2001. The age of the car has nothing to do with it unless it's pre-1973 (in which case allowed to have silver or white font on black background).

But if the car is pre-2001, how can plod PROVE that the plates were fitted since then, and enforce the law??:crazy:

:mad:
But if the car is pre-2001, how can plod PROVE that the plates were fitted since then, and enforce the law??:crazy:

if they are standard acrylic plates , they will look like they have been through the wars by the time it comes to 7 years old.

why are we always left with the crap when the euros have nice pressed steel plates? :mad:

Exactly. Plates made after 2001 - that means yours ;)

In fact to be precise, it's plates fitted on or after September 1st 2001. The age of the car has nothing to do with it unless it's pre-1973 (in which case allowed to have silver or white font on black background).

Too true - luckily you can always hide behind plausible deniability if the car is older than 2001... Not that I would ever do such a thing... :p

Plus, from my point of view - I feel the police are having a hard enough time enforcing real licence-plate problems (like letters made to fool ALPR systems) to bother with a set that are missing a thin line at the bottom... I haven't resized them, I haven't changed the font. I merely don't have a manufacturer at the bottom...

I feel the police are having a hard enough time enforcing real licence-plate problems (like letters made to fool ALPR systems) to bother with a set that are missing a thin line at the bottom

Yeah but ... that maker's name shows someone has checked your ID and the fact that the reg. belongs to you and the vehicle. It not being there may indicate something dodgy going on ... cloned car for example.

Anyone can have 'show' plates made with your registration ...

I think that the post code and Name have been dropped from the MOT! so are legal with out.

No. As already mentioned they're not currently being checked as part of the MOT. But they're still a legal requirement.

Yeah but ... that maker's name shows someone has checked your ID and the fact that the reg. belongs to you and the vehicle. It not being there may indicate something dodgy going on ... cloned car for example.

Anyone can have 'show' plates made with your registration ...

Actually... not really....

The DVLA are quite adamant in stating that the V5 is NOT a certificate of ownership, but merely a document to designed the registered keeper. i.e. it says who legally keeps the vehicle, not the owner.

Either way; they aren't checking it (I'm pretty sure, my W202 has an old plate with no information of where it was made - it came that way - and I've never had any trouble from the MOT nor police).

When the time comes, and the goalposts move again, I'll adapt my game and buy new plates... :p

Michele

I get/got mine from ebay £0.01 Buy It Now, plus £9.99 postage for 2 plates.

Cannot remember if they were show plates or did infact contain the legal requirment of postcode? dealer number etc etc, either way, I have never failed an MOT with them.

if anyone on here wants plates and doesnt mind having mercland on the bottom i can make you a pair with GB logo, black border and 3D letters for £13 pair posted.

Can you do plates with plain letters and are they road legal?

Road legal means:
1) Acrylic white/yellow standard size oblong or square plates conforming to the current British Standard.
2) Registration mark in the standard (plain or 3D) font of the correct size and with the correct spacing.
3) The name, trade mark or other ID of the manufacturer.
4) The name and postcode of the supplying outlet.
5) The current British Standard Number (i.e. BS AU 145d).
6) Optionally, a standard Euro country symbol on the left.
7) Optionally, a plain border.
8) And nothing else!

Yes to all the above... Mine is computer based, supplied by Signam, one of the largest suppliers of plate making machines.

It all has to be legal otherwise it wont print it.

yes but I have to use a different system for that.. and the customer has to sign a disclaimer...

I made a few fun ones a while back.. might make up a couple for the GTG

yes but I have to use a different system for that.. and the customer has to sign a disclaimer...

I made a few fun ones a while back.. might make up a couple for the GTG

Hmm...that's what I'm thinking...

£££££££..??

I could do a few at £10 a pair.. what you thinking of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom