• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Paington Devon And The Surrounding Area

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
This week there will mostly be a black E63 wagon taking in the sights :cool:.

I'll look out for friendly waves (and perhaps a couple of coffee bean shakers) :D.

Any "must see" attractions, please let me know.

Last edited:
Catch the steam train from Paignton to Kingswear but get off at Greenway Halt and walk to Agatha Christie's house. If the weather is good, there are some superb garden walks.

Sadly you missed Dawlish Airshow today which had the battle of Britain memorial flight and the Canadian Lancaster as well. Plenty to see if you like the seaside

The South Hams are the nicest part of Devon. Bantham has the best beach in Devon and hence of course the world (sorry, Devon-born bias showing). Across Bantham Bay is Burgh Island with a wonderful art deco hotel where you can have lunch or tea (reachable by walking at low tide or by the hotel's tractor-drawn conveyance at high tide). The coast road from Dartmouth to Paignton is a beautiful and spectacular drive. Possibly the most extraordinary sight is Slapton Sands, a seven-mile stretch of beach with the sea on one side of the road and a freshwater lake and nature reserve on the other, where the Americans rehearsed their D-Day landings.

Another area worth visiting is Dartmoor, where there are lovely drives in fine weather - don't bother if it's wet as it can be pretty bleak. When it's sunny the walk from the Avon Dam car park to the dam is very pretty.

I could go on and on...

Last edited:
We should be there too this week, but we cancelled last minute and headed to North Devon instead. Here's a great route for a day out:

Take the LOWER ferry from Kinswear to Dartmouth, which is far more fun than the larger UPPPR ferry. Buy a book of tickets as it gets much cheaper, so much so it's cheaper the driving around. Look out for dolphins and seals.

Close to the ferry terminal in Dartmouth is an amazing place to take breakfast, Cafe Alf Resco - Delicious fresh food and drink in Dartmouth, Devon - get there early or be prepared to wait ...believe me it's well worth it. Amazing setting and food.

Head out of Dartmouth, and follow the coast to Blackpool Sands | South Devon | Dartmouth | Salcombe | South Hams | Plymouth | Torbay | Exeter which is the most spectacular beach in the UK IMHO. It costs a fiver to park, but worth it even if only staying for an hour for a drink.

Back in the car, and head to Slapton Sands and Torcross. Sometimes there's a little coffee van as you descend the hill to the Ley, worth stopping if you didn't get a drink at Blackppol Sands.

Carry on to Salcombe, do a spot of crabbing grab a pasty, and stretch your legs. Back in the car and either had inland back to Totnes and on to Paignton, or go back via the ferry.

Either way head to Churston, for Fish & Chips at Squires in Churston - it's right in the traffic lights. Either eat in or take away, there's a lovely view over Torbay if you head through the lights and park on the field on the left.

Whilst in Torquay, it's well worth going to Tiger Bills on the harbour - bizarre mix of Thai and American food, but it works really well. There's on in Birmingham too, but Torquay is the original and best IMHO - we drove here just for dinner a couple of years ago, and then home again on the same day!? :)

Torquay | Tiger Bills | Authentic Thai | Western Grill | Restaurant

Jingles is a great Mexican restaurant too, it's right by Tiger Bills too.

Jingles Restaurant - Mexican Tex Mex Restaurant Torquay

Both restaurants get really busy, so it's best to book well in advance.

Last but not least, and whilst I've not been for 12 months, the gammon in the Old Market House in Brixham is very good :thumb:

Old Market House Brixham restaurant and bar serving fantastic local foods and beers

Another vote for the Paignton-Kingswear steam railway. There is also another steam train from Buckfastleigh (on A38) to Totnes, but the former is more scenic.

They also do a Round-Robin type of trip which, I think, is steam train Paignton-Kingswear, Ferry from Kingswear(opposite side of river from Dartmouth) to Totnes, bus from Totnes back to Paignton.

Paignton to Kingswear lower ferry (separate barge hauled by a small tugboat attached by ropes) to Dartmouth, then coast road to Torcross. At Torcoss there is a tank, recovered from the sea after being 'lost' from a landing craft on Operation Tiger (D-Day practice) at the car park at Torcross - if that's your thing.

From Torcross a short drive to Salcombe.

There is a good ferry trip from Torquay to Dartmouth (2 companies run them, but one, Greenway Ferries, run an old WW2 RN/RAF rescue launch type boat, similar to the old MTBs, called Fairmile. Can have a few hours in Dartmouth, or cruise across Slapton Bay or, I think, further up river from Dartmouth.

Some decent roads across Dartmoor; Ashburton to Princetown road will take you past HMP Dartmoor.

Plymouth Barbican and Hoe are an hour or so from Paignton. Various boat trip from the Barbican, including the Royal William Yard (mouth of River Tamar, old naval victualling buildings), several restaurants including RiverCottage. Gary Rhodes has a restaurant (but I haven't been there, so can't comment) at the Dome on Plymouth Hoe, just below the old Eddystone Lighthoúse (Smeaton's Tower), which is open to the public if you fancy a climb!

I hope the weather is bettering South Devon that is here in North Devon :(

Dartmouth/Kingswear - simply beautiful.

That is all :cool:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom