• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

How is the depreciation on these MG ev's if you are considering buying the car outright?
Depreciation doesn't bother me, never has. I get the car I want, when I want it, enjoy it, then sell it. Also like modding my cars, again money you'll never get back. Life's too short, to worry about depreciation, if I want it, and can afford it, I'll get it, that's the way I've always been. 🙂👍

Depreciation doesn't bother me, never has. I get the car I want, when I want it, enjoy it, then sell it. Also like modding my cars, again money you'll never get back. Life's too short, to worry about depreciation, if I want it, and can afford it, I'll get it, that's the way I've always been. 🙂👍
Fair enough, just something to consider when EV's appear to suffer from heavy depreciation. Possibly due to dealers down the line not wanting the potential liability of very expensive battery issues.

Maybe chance your arm and ask the MG dealer if they can offer a guaranteed trade in value 2 years down the line?

How is the depreciation on these MG ev's if you are considering buying the car outright?

Reason i ask is recently spotted 3 low mileage 2017 Nissan Leaf's at auction and they had suffered 80% depreciation (26k car sold for 5.5k 30-40k miles) in just 6 years. Something to consider.

There’s a massive tax advantage to running a new BEV that makes their higher price easier to achieve. That .. dissipates… when they reach the second user market and private buyers aren’t as common.

My favourite stat is that a well specified 2018 Tesla 100D can be found for a third of its £100k original price on normal mileage.

(It may have the equivalent of airmatic, but it’s still a 6ft 6 wide motor)

Returning to your exam question, and MG5 loses more than a third of its value in the first year. From over thirty to under twenty. So it must be on course to lose 60% over three years of normal mileage

IMG_1049.jpeg

Last edited:
Fair enough, just something to consider when EV's appear to suffer from heavy depreciation. Possibly due to dealers down the line not wanting the potential liability of very expensive battery issues...

This is not an issue for me personally, because my car is on a 4-year lease and so the depreciation has already been factored-in and, and if there's a nasty suprise at the end of lease period I wouldn't know about it anyway.... and, I suspect that the majority of new EVs are being sold under business leases, and there will probably be many other people in my situation.

However, regarding battery warranty, my 2021 EV has 8 years warranty for the battery, so it will be a while before future potential second-hand buyers shy away from it due to concerns regarding battery replacement costs. My understanding is that MB also provide long warranties for the HV batteries in their EVs.

And last, while it does make sense to us here to think that there will be a drop in price when each car reached the end of the battery warranty period due to future potential buyers being wary of the battery replacement costs, bizarrely the market does not seem to work this way... every other day we have people coming on here with AdBlue issues that end-up costing them almost the value of their car, and yet people keep buying these cars and no one seems to think that it's not a good idea to buy an AdBlue Merc after the warranty expires.

(You could obviously argue that people have no choice due to ULEZ, but firstly not everyone lives in London or Glasgow, and then there's no shortage of 5-7 years old petrol cars)

Then there's the M271 engine... people keep buying cars equipped with high-mileage rattling M271 engines, in spite of its potential to write-off the car.

Unlike the members here, most buyers do their reasech AFTER they bought the car.... strange but true.

Last edited:
This is not an issue for me personally, because my car is on a 4-year lease and so the depreciation has already been factored-in and, and if there's a nasty suprise at the end of lease period I wouldn't know about it anyway.... however, regarding battery warranty, my 2021 car has 8 years warranty for the battery, so it will be a while before potential buyers shy away from it due to concerns regarding battery replacement costs. My understanding is that MB also provide long warranties for the HV batteries in their EVs.
Are EV battery warranties transferable to the second/ third/ fourth owner down the line, in that 8 year warranty period?

Last edited:
Are EV battery warranties transferable to the second/ third/ fourth owner down the line, in that 8 year warranty period?
Yep, that long manufacturer’s warranty is on the battery and car, regardless of the number of owners.

“Maybe” there’s a reason to be wary of EVs that have been fast charged regularly (50kwh) rather than home charged, but lord knows how you’d really know how they’d been used.

Yes, both warranties are fully transferable (for my Hyundai at least - and also for its sister company Kia - I dont know about other marques).

I wonder if each car holds ‘charging history’ data within the OBC?
They do, you can view the total kWH added DC and AC with a diagnostic computer, but it’s not really a big factor on cars with actively cooled batteries - (which is pretty much all decent EVs now)… Heat is the killer for batteries and the BMS keeps the battery within safe thermal limits despite fast charging.

Test driving a Tesla Model 3
Performance, tommorow (Mon). :)
You will love it. Feels like a go-kart to drive - goes like hell.

If you order go for the white interior - looks stunning, and surprisingly easy to keep clean.

Jesus! Is that possible? :eek::oops:o_O
The Model S plaid is already sub 2s andthat’s a 6ft 6 wide family car with a massive boot! :D

Fast forward to 6:30 if you just want to see the acceleration… but a great review showing all aspects of you’re interested

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is that thing about even experienced Journos and car videographers admitting that they get car sick at acceleration faster than 0-60 in 4.

(See Harris, Cropley, Prior et al.)

The Model S plaid is already sub 2s andthat’s a 6ft 6 wide family car with a massive boot! :D

Fast forward to 6:30 if you just want to see the acceleration… but a great review showing all aspects of you’re interested

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Holy Moly !! as this bloke would say, who's obviously a bit of a nutter, 203 mph on a public road, but certainly demonstrates the mind boggling acceleration, of that Tesla Plaid. :eek::oops:o_O

Holy Moly !! as this bloke would say, who's obviously a bit of a nutter, 203 mph on a public road, but certainly demonstrates the mind boggling acceleration, of that Tesla Plaid. :eek::oops:o_O
It’s the derestricted part of the Autobahn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom