• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

Another test drive this morning, back to the MG X Power, this time at MG Chorley. But this time unaccompanied and for an Hour.🙂👍All I can say again is WOW!
I'd pretty much decided on a Tesla 3 Performance, but the more I see on the road, whilst being a lovely motor, they are a tad bland,
(And whatever your thoughts on the MG 4 especially in Volcano Orange, bland they ain't) and not 100% sure I could get used to the Big screen controlling everything. And also obviously a BIG factor is, the MG would be brand spanking new with a 7 year warranty. Me heads spinning. 🙄😉🙂👍
You could get the M3P wrapped a funky colour? Don’t forget most models you see on the road will be SR+ or LR, they won’t have the carbon spoiler, larger diameter wheels etc…

The other thing I would say is that the Tesla gives you the freedom to do road trips with essentially zero hassle, the system just works so well with the charging network.

View attachment 146137
He’s not convinced battery tech has advanced - yet electric supercars already exist?

The Rimac Nevera produces 1,914hp from four Rimac-designed electric motors, which propel the hypercar from 0-60 mph in just 1.85 seconds, and to 100mph in 4.3 seconds.
Top speed 258mph.

0 to 100mph in 4.3 seconds.......which coincidentally is about how long the battery lasts at 258mph!!

0 to 100mph in 4.3 seconds.......which coincidentally is about how long the battery lasts at 258mph!!

It's also an issue of weight - my mundane EV is 50% heavier than a Superleggera - and it affects handling, not just performance. What EVs do have going for them is a low center of gravity and that the weight is evenly distributed - but they need to be much lighter before they can become supercars. Ettore Bugatti reportadly described a Bentley as "the fastest truck in the world".....

How long does an ICE’s fuel tank last at 258mph?

A Bugatti at full tilt depletes its 100L tank in around 10 mins.

How long does an ICE’s fuel tank last at 258mph?

A Bugatti at full tilt depletes its 100L tank in around 10 mins.

I think the issue here is that with an EV you can't separate between range and performance, because the power is determined by the battery size. And the heavier battery affects both performance and handling.

With ICE cars, you can have a very powerful engine with a very small fuel tank. With an EV, you need a bigger and heavier battery if you want performance, even if you don't care about the range. And range is pretty immaterial when it comes to supercars anyway.

I think the issue here is that with an EV you can't separate between range and performance, because the power is determined by the battery size. And the heavier battery affects both performance and handling.

With ICE cars, you can have a very powerful engine with a very small fuel tank. With an EV, you need a bigger and heavier battery if you want performance, even if you don't care about the range. And range is pretty immaterial when it comes to supercars anyway.
Yes MJ, but the car I linked above proves you can have power and good handling in an EV, it did 7 mins on the Nurburgring in sub-optimal conditions.

How much quicker would it be with the same power and X hundred kilos less of battery though!!!???

How much quicker would it be with the same power and X hundred kilos less of battery though!!!???
Some are clearly against a concept from the start and will find endless faults. :)

Even for a supercar 0-60 in 1.8s and 254mph top speed is pretty damn good.

All the power in the world won't get an ICE car quicker than an EV to 20mph... it's all about torque, and no ICE car can put down 100% torque from 0 mph. Just take a test drive in an everyday Tesla and see for yourself why no ICE car can beat it in the traffic lights race. You'll also understand why the old way of comparing performance by measuring 0-60 is obsolete and very misleading when it comes to EVs.

Just sat in my brother in law’s Tesla Model Y, very nice place to sit. It’s grey which makes it unusual as most are white. The air vents are inspired, I can see other car manufacturers copying that idea.

He’s not convinced battery tech has advanced - yet electric supercars already exist?

[
From the perspective he outlined in the preceding paragraph where the existing battery technology uses more energy in its production than can be saved by avoiding ICE and its burning of fossil fuel when a typical annual mileage is 5000. The same argument applies to a town or second car that will only ever cover a short mileage in its lifetime. Except the supercar will have a much much larger battery pack than a town or second car.

Talking of supercars, given the difficulties VAG's ID range is causing it, does anyone still believe pouring the resources it did into developing an even faster Bugatti instead of the ID was a wise move?

From the perspective he outlined in the preceding paragraph where the existing battery technology uses more energy in its production than can be saved by avoiding ICE and its burning of fossil fuel when a typical annual mileage is 5000. The same argument applies to a town or second car that will only ever cover a short mileage in its lifetime. Except the supercar will have a much much larger battery pack than a town or second car.

Talking of supercars, given the difficulties VAG's ID range is causing it, does anyone still believe pouring the resources it did into developing an even faster Bugatti instead of the ID was a wise move?

The majority of income for Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Bugatti (and also McLaren and Aston Martin and others) comes from the Middle East, and in smaller proportion also from China and (previously) Russia. The sales to Western Europe and North America alone won't keep them afloat.

What these customers are buying, is neither speed not handling, instead they are buying exclusivity. That's the only thing left to desire when money is not an object - the things you can't get more of for love or money because they are only ever made (deliberately) in small numbers. I had the opportunity to get a pick into the VIP customers operation, I think that in terms of resources and budget it might actually be bigger than the actual car production operation..... and also they have very limited editions, two years waiting list, private factory tours, track days, and top notch hospitality - etc etc.

In fact we have a customer who sells high value goods to the same segment. They have a massive showroom in the West End, that runs a loss as very little is actually sold there to the many onlookers and curious tourists. But without a flashing showroom in London's West End, the Chinese and (previously) Russians won't buy their goods - the showroom makes their brand exclusive and valuable.

So I don't think that Tesla pose a risk - Elon Musk just isn't the type to be shmoozing rich (corrupt?) foreign types.

All the power in the world won't get an ICE car quicker than an EV to 20mph... it's all about torque, and no ICE car can put down 100% torque from 0 mph. Just take a test drive in an everyday Tesla and see for yourself why no ICE car can beat it in the traffic lights race. You'll also understand why the old way of comparing performance by measuring 0-60 is obsolete and very misleading when it comes to EVs.
Out of curiosity do you think a performance EV or a performance ice car would be fastest from 40 to 100 mph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom