• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

From what ive seen of them Id agree with most of that. (to be clear Ive not driven one). The telling phrase that applies to all EVs in my opinion is "one trick pony".....accelerating fast is it....forget handling etc......which is fine if thats all you need want. I could not help but notice that he did not mention (or even show much of) the grim (IMHO) interior plastics and dash.
Strange times when over £36,000 is a good value hot hatchback!!!.....but compared to other it is....scary.

...I could not help but notice that he did not mention (or even show much of) the grim (IMHO) interior plastics and dash.
Strange times when over £36,000 is a good value hot hatchback!!!.....but compared to other it is....scary.

Yes, in order to get luxury in an EV you need to pay even more, granted.

I have the "top of the range" EV from Hyundai, the IONIQ 5 Ultimate, and it's great, but if I wanted a bit of opulence then I'd have to fork-out for Hyundai's upmarket brand Genesis:

Prices are not for the faint of heart....:

55.jpg

From what ive seen of them Id agree with most of that. (to be clear Ive not driven one). The telling phrase that applies to all EVs in my opinion is "one trick pony".....accelerating fast is it....forget handling etc......which is fine if thats all you need want. I could not help but notice that he did not mention (or even show much of) the grim (IMHO) interior plastics and dash.
I love driving my EV tbh, the handling is great Imo - I don’t track it though. Each to their own.

It all boils down to a monthly payment - In 2-4 years it'll be chopped and changed for 95% of buyers. I bet this will be £350-£450 a month, and that's assuming you're not able to write it all off with the old EV tax trickery.

So if you're in the finance/lease/PCP game, you'll be able to get into an EV for a relatively small monthly outlay, and that's monthly number is the only thing most people will be looking at.

I think you need to compare like for like.

Because EVs take off like a rocket on a straight line, they tend to be compared with performance cars from other marques.

This is wrong, because most family-car EVs were not specifically designed to accelerate like an F15 launched from a catapult, instead this behaviour is just a side-effect of how electric motors and batteries work.

Is my IONIQ 5 Ultimate's handling any better or worse than my previous car, the C-Class C180 CGI Executive? I don't think so.

Is the IONIQ 5 N's handling any better or worse than a C63? I have no idea, but that would be a more realistic comparison to make.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

641 bhp and can do burnouts to start a bbq... but personally I don't care about either, so I am very happy with my cooking model... that by coincidence also happens to have the ability to beat a C63 in a 0-20mph drag race.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong here but I get the faint impression that you’re really not overly keen on EV’s. Don’t ask me why, it’s just a hunch I have. 🤷‍♂️

Lol....of course......but so are many others ....which is why it's mainly people who get them through company car schemes and take advantage of the tax benefits that "buy" them. I'm not sure I know anyone with a privately owned and funded EV.....depreciation is the killer for many. Anyone paying cash rather than a PCP so you can get rid in three years needs professional help! They are quick...but that's it. Most of them are between 500 and 1000 kg or more heavier than their ICE equivalents.....no amount of power will hide that through the bends.
As said....each to there own....horses for courses. I'm not saying they are bad....my car use would suit an EV fine....I have a drive for three cars and even my electric meter sits right at the front of the house for easy charger fitment. They just have absolutely no appeal. ICE cars are a living breathing thing with a soul...EVs are white goods....bought to do a job....nothing more. Just my 2 pence worth of course.

I'm with ALFA on this. Like him I have space for 3 cars on my driveway, although normally only 1 is there as SLK mainly lives in garage. Not only is my meter cupboard in the (open) front porch, but I also have 3 phase power so could have a serious charger. However, as over 70's pensioners with 2 cars worth no more than probably £10k between them, are we likely to shell out £450/month or £30k+ on 1 EV - not a cat in hell's chance! plus, as ALFA says, the sound of the SLK V6 roof down when the right foot gets heavy - only replacement would be a V8 (banned by management when hunting the SLK!).

Lol....of course......but so are many others ....which is why it's mainly people who get them through company car schemes and take advantage of the tax benefits that "buy" them. I'm not sure I know anyone with a privately owned and funded EV.....depreciation is the killer for many. Anyone paying cash rather than a PCP so you can get rid in three years needs professional help! They are quick...but that's it. Most of them are between 500 and 1000 kg or more heavier than their ICE equivalents.....no amount of power will hide that through the bends.
As said....each to there own....horses for courses. I'm not saying they are bad....my car use would suit an EV fine....I have a drive for three cars and even my electric meter sits right at the front of the house for easy charger fitment. They just have absolutely no appeal. ICE cars are a living breathing thing with a soul...EVs are white goods....bought to do a job....nothing more. Just my 2 pence worth of course.

I have no issue with people who do not warm up to EVs.

However, what I do see as an issue, is when these people go publicly through a process of Rationalisation, by which I mean that they are trying to find logical reasons to use as excuses for themselves when trying to justify their own instinctive or emotional reaction to the concept of an electric vehicle, and by doing so they are misleading undecided potential buyers who read all these pseudo-logical false arguments and sometimes believe or accept them.

It's not criticism as such, I often find myself in the same situation, and try to avoid this pitfall. As an example, the real reason I don't like C63s is that I have become an old f@rt that drives like a nun on probation, I do not race, accelerate, or speed, and as a result I am often tempted to find one million reasons why C63s are cr@p cars that have devalued the AMG marque via mass production and their owners all arrogant show-offs who buy them on a lease they can ill-afford and drive them with the baseball cap worn backwards in illegal burnouts gatherings. However, if I'm being honest then I know very well that the reality is that getting older I simply lost my mojo and can't enjoy life any more, at least not in the same way I did when younger. So kudus to the young members who got a C63 while they're still in their twenties and thirties, and also kudus to the silver hair brigade (and onward) who are still able to enjoy them. I really have nothing bad to say about C63s....

*) Other models of AMG also available :D

I'm with ALFA on this. Like him I have space for 3 cars on my driveway, although normally only 1 is there as SLK mainly lives in garage. Not only is my meter cupboard in the (open) front porch, but I also have 3 phase power so could have a serious charger. However, as over 70's pensioners with 2 cars worth no more than probably £10k between them, are we likely to shell out £450/month or £30k+ on 1 EV - not a cat in hell's chance!

So would you buy one in a few years time when the market is flooded with affordable second-hand EVs coming off their 3-year business leases?

plus, as ALFA says, the sound of the SLK V6 roof down when the right foot gets heavy - only replacement would be a V8 (banned by management when hunting the SLK!).

Ah... I guess not :D

I'm with ALFA on this. Like him I have space for 3 cars on my driveway, although normally only 1 is there as SLK mainly lives in garage. Not only is my meter cupboard in the (open) front porch, but I also have 3 phase power so could have a serious charger. However, as over 70's pensioners with 2 cars worth no more than probably £10k between them, are we likely to shell out £450/month or £30k+ on 1 EV - not a cat in hell's chance! plus, as ALFA says, the sound of the SLK V6 roof down when the right foot gets heavy - only replacement would be a V8 (banned by management when hunting the SLK!).
You should have kept your porker the v6 MB is dull in comparison.

As said....each to their own....horses for courses. I'm not saying they are bad....my car use would suit an EV fine....I have a drive for three cars and even my electric meter sits right at the front of the house for easy charger fitment. They just have absolutely no appeal. ICE cars are a living breathing thing with a soul...EVs are white goods....bought to do a job....nothing more. Just my 2 pence worth of course.
I of course understand all of your points. But you seem hellbent on posting those same points at every opportunity. ‘Broken Record’ comes to mind. 😊

As was said a while back, this thread was meant to be a positive cheerful one. When that was pointed out you ‘opted out’ but then soon continued your EV bashing. 🤷‍♂️

I of course understand all of your points. But you seem hellbent on posting those same points at every opportunity. ‘Broken Record’ comes to mind. 😊

As was said a while back, this thread was meant to be a positive cheerful one. When that was pointed out you ‘opted out’ but then soon continued your EV bashing. 🤷‍♂️
I’m also confused by this…

Non-EV owners love to point out that they don’t have an EV and would never buy one - even when the question was never asked. 😂

So would you buy one in a few years time when the market is flooded with affordable second-hand EVs coming off their 3-year business leases?

Ah... I guess not :D
😅

Non-EV owners love to point out that they don’t have an EV and would never buy one - even when the question was never asked. 😂
Fair comments both. I'm not anti EV....not at all....They have their place for some people.....maybe even most people. Just not me... I feel the same about the current trend for ugly heavy SUVs....I only have to look at any street to see I'm in a minority (and that most people don't actually need them!...but of course makers will force them on us as they are the easiest shape to build EVs from) I do object to people who do 5000 miles a year saying they are buying an EV to save the planet when at their miles and current annual millage or will take about 12 years to break even with an ICE car what with current UK heavy carbon power supply and how EVs are built. But I notice, on here at least, not many are virtue signalling with their EV....which is at least honest of them.
You win....I'm gone!

I’m a non EV owner. But I’m really looking forward to the day when I can afford one. It will be embraced. Exciting times ahead.
🥳

They have their place for some people.....maybe even most people. Just not me... I feel the same about the current trend for ugly heavy SUVs.
It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things. Out of interest have you ever driven either an EV or SUV for more than a quick test drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom