• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

Out of curiosity do you think a performance EV or a performance ice car would be fastest from 40 to 100 mph?

My bet would be on the ICE car.

This is also the reason why EVs are much faster off the mark than ICE cars with similar 0-60 figures - because the ICE car will eventually catch up during the second half of the 'drag race'.

Out of curiosity do you think a performance EV or a performance ice car would be fastest from 40 to 100 mph?
Normally ICE - but not always!
Check out this drag race between the Porsche 911 Turbo S & a Lucid Air on Carwow.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Cheers
Steve

Check out this drag race between the Porsche 911 Turbo S & a Lucid Air on Carwow.

Cheers
Steve

Obviously, you'll need to compare like with like.

Take two production cars with the same 0-60 figure, one EV one ICE, drag race them, and 9 out of 10 you'll get the same pattern - the EV will be quicker off the mark, and the ICE car will catch up further down the track.

Cheers
Steve

What that proves....unsurprisingly.....is that the 461 horse power only just makes up for the extra 3/4 of a tonne (743kg) the lardy Lucid weighs. Same weight and the EV would have been a spec in the distance.

Hot off the press!
MG4 vs M2 on Carwow - just uploaded!
About to watch it now!

I know which one sounds the best.

.....and which one does not look like it just came out of a jelly mould just like many EVs.

It really does depend upon the two cars you stack up against each other.

Max torque at set off is often cited as the reason, which is in part true, however assuming that both cars have four driven wheels and have no need to manually change gear, then traction off the line (without bogging down) and the absence of gear changes helps significantly at slower speeds. Even rapid changing dual clutch gearboxes take time to shift.

However as speed increases the benefit of those advantages dimiinish: both motors are spinning, traction becomes less and less of an issue, and gear changes become less frequent. Torque will also be limited in low gears in very powerful ICE engines to protect the transmission and aid traction, but becomes much less of an issue as speed (and gears) rises, as the torque multiplying effect of the gearbox reduces.

However as speed increases beyond road legal speeds fast-EVs start to benefit more and more from reduced drag which means that they don’t get left behind completely. Of course fast-EVs have a slippery shape, try to minimise frontal area, and have other features like aero efficient wheel designs to clean up messy air flow.

EVs don’t need to use the cooling effect of air in the same way as an ICE car, as they don’t generate as much heat, and even when acceleration is comparable then the design criteria are not. The ICE with fast-EV acceleration will be designed for much harder driving, the EV will be the opposite. EVs don’t work brakes hard due to regen, etc.

Those areas which need to be cooled on an ICE car are typically the areas responsible for a significant proportion of the drag. The wheels and brakes (as mentioned), the radiators, and engine bay, but of course in practice the air intake and running of the engine also contributes to drag, which is why “extreme” cars have active aero in the grilles (both extreme eco ICE and extreme performance ICE).

Finally as the ICE car with fast-EV performance will have been designed for hard driving they will also have been designed to reduce lift or increase downforce, which doesn’t come for free, it’s at the cost of drag. Generally the aerodynamics of the ICE car with fast-EV acceleration are designed with with different performance parameters in mind.

Like I say, it depends upon the cars concerned. In the real world you need a very very fast road car and more than a dose of skill to keep up with an EV in the traffic light grand prix.

Just passed one in the street... pretty striking looks I have to admit:

Screenshot-20230906-195616-Gallery.jpg

I wonder if each car holds ‘charging history’ data within the OBC?
Even my 'designed a decade ago' BMW i3 holds all this data. So I can check when, how much and after how many miles, and at what rate it was last charged.
I would find it hard to believe that more more modern designs would not have that data available.

Like I say, it depends upon the cars concerned. In the real world you need a very very fast road car and more than a dose of skill to keep up with an EV in the traffic light grand prix.
All the race engine designers say " power wins arguments, torque wins races" I've seen that in action and can verify it.
Given the measly 170 bhp of the BMW i3, the availability of instantly accessible torque makes that even more true in real world road conditions.

PS. My wife has decided to call the i3 'Evie''cos that's 'zactly what it is!
We also have a Pollie dog called....err...Polly!

Just passed one in the street... pretty striking looks I have to admit:

Screenshot-20230906-195616-Gallery.jpg
Temptation, get the behind me!! However, I think it's full EV and I would not countenance one of those to replace our C220Cdi as wife (supposedly her car!!) has never yet fueled it in 11 1/2 years of ownership, I cannot think she would ever get her head around recharging an EV especially when dear daughter is 120 miles away!! OK we have 3 phase in the front porch so could have a decent charger installed there for home charging, but going on a trip - not a chance!! only way would be hybrid.

Temptation, get the behind me!! However, I think it's full EV and I would not countenance one of those to replace our C220Cdi as wife (supposedly her car!!) has never yet fueled it in 11 1/2 years of ownership, I cannot think she would ever get her head around recharging an EV especially when dear daughter is 120 miles away!! OK we have 3 phase in the front porch so could have a decent charger installed there for home charging, but going on a trip - not a chance!! only way would be hybrid.

I have always refuelled both our cars. And I've always charged the EV. The only exception was when I was hospitalised and Mrs MJ refuelled the car (luckily both are rare occasions). But Mrs MJ who drives the EV has never charged it. That's what we men are for... nes pa?

I cannot think she would ever get her head around recharging an EV especially when dear daughter is 120 miles away!! OK

Drive to daughters and then plug in… will be fully brimmed for the evening drive back… 🤷‍♂️

240 miles round trip is perfectly doable with most modern EVs....
Sure is, but I’m sure some will need to do said journey at an average speed of 90 mph in -7c weather whilst towing a caravan.. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom