• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Possible EV 🙄🙂

The telling phrase that applies to all EVs in my opinion is "one trick pony".....accelerating fast is it....forget handling etc.
I’ve read similar comments. My personal view is that they’re more versatile than the ICE cars you could compare it with.

To match the performance of a typical EV then you’d need a seriously quick sports car or a decade old full bloodied supercar.

To match the quiet serenity of a typical EV you’d need a seriously luxurious modern Executive car or a decade old limousine.

To match the convenience of leaving home (if you have a drive) “brimmed” then you’d need a petrol station at home.

To match the price of a typical new EV then you’d just need to buy a new ICE from the next segment or brand “up”.

To match the depreciation of a typical new EV then you’d just need to buy a new ICE from the next segment or brand “up”.

I could go on.

They are quick...but that's it. Most of them are between 500 and 1000 kg or more heavier than their ICE equivalents.....no amount of power will hide that through the bends.
Have you driven one?

The torque can overcome the weight easily. The low centre of gravity offsets a large proportion of the weight. The low CoG and weight makes it surprisingly stable at speed. The distributed weight between the axles improves agility and avoids nose heavy feel.

Me 😁 and I know loadssss of others.
...like me 😁

I admit I haven't won Le Mans (LMP2) with an MG since 2005...It was one of those races where you ended up being one of the cars who had least trouble!
fe_1024_03.jpg

But that MG really had only the badge in common with the MG's we all remember, (it was a Lola!) Pretty much the same as the EV MGs from China.
I agree with most that the interior quality is not in the same league as some German manufacturers, but you can't argue with the performance or value for money...or can you?:dk:

Many of the comments associated with the extortionate cost and savage depreciation of new EVs are not problems with EVs, it’s a problem with new cars.

I agree with most that the interior quality is not in the same league as some German manufacturers, but you can't argue with the performance or value for money...or can you?:dk:
Alastair, I have no idea how much an LMP2 car costs, so I’ll take your word for it if you think the MG was good value for money 😁

It used to be the case that in order to have an accurate timepiece you had to shell upward of a four figure sum for a Swiss chronometer, but these days everyone with an iPhone will have the accurate time.

They used to say about Bentleys that when you step on the accelerator, it feels like a giant hand is swiftly and quietly pushing you forward with no drama, now every EV owner can have that.

EVs are very different to ICE cars, just as a Rolex is very different to Swatch - both fulfill the same basic function, but they are still very different animals.

The closest I have got to LMP2 is trying to get into a Ginetta G58 at Donnington, but unfortunately I was a little too large and a little too inflexible to get into it.

Unfortunately my back was really bad at the time and so I couldn’t even get into the Ginetta G56 as they were fitted with racing seats, but with notice they’ve offered to fit a road seat.

Fingers crossed the Ginetta G10 will fit me like a glove, and I dare say they can make some adjustments too given that they’re built to order. Not LMP2 though…

...I agree with most that the interior quality is not in the same league as some German manufacturers, but you can't argue with the performance or value for money...or can you?:dk:

When Fiat released the Uno Turbo ie back in 1985, someone who bought one of the first cars was asked how he's planning to deal with Fiat's well-known rust issues. He's response was "I don't care, because I only paid for the engine and transmission, I didn't pay for the body shell!" - the car was by far the cheapest hot hatch you could buy at the time.

They used to say about Bentleys that when you step on the accelerator, it feels like a giant hand is swiftly and quietly pushing you forward with no drama, now every EV owner can have that.
This was true of the Le Mans Bentleys, but the thing that made the real difference in 2003 was the way the stopped in a such a controlled manner that allowed the drivers to gain even more lap time.
We had managed to get the the aerodynamics to push the centre of pressure (or split) to move rearwards under braking by partially stalling the front diffuser.
This gave the effect that the drivers described as having a giant towrope attached to the back of the car pulling you backwards instead of the weight transfer trying to pitch the car around the front axle.
Johnny Herbert exploited this the best by recording the best race lap and the quickest race stint.
Yes, Bentleys torque a lot about giant hands:)

Just driven from Milton Keynes to Newcastle-upon-tyne in my Model S with Autopilot set at the speed limit the entire way, stopped for 15 mins for a Supercharge top up and coffee (I could have made it without stopping but wanted to arrive with at least 20%)… that’s a 4 hour journey with only a 15 min stop…. Yet people still say EVs aren’t ready 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom