Possibly Flashed 12 times by a once inactive camera !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petef

Car
Mercedes 200C
A friend got a fixed penalty notice the other day for doing 48 mph in a 40mph area.The camera hadnt been working for years and the camera was facing him ? :eek: ...it didn.t flash either .

Thing is the guy is really worried as he has gone past this camera over the past two weeks at speeds ranging from 45 mph to 50 mph.....Whats the situation ? will he get 12 penalty notices ? will he get 12 x 3 points on his licence eg 36 points ? or will he get an automatic ban for three months as you can only get 12 on your licence ? or if he has 36 points will he be banned for years ? any advice would be useful as he is sh***n himself..:eek:

He could collect three points for each time he has been past this camera.

If he does it will be just deserts as he obviously shows no regard for speed limits.

I guess he doesn't need any Ex-Lax at the moment then.....:rolleyes:

the camera was facing him ? :eek: ...it didn.t flash either .

The front-facing cameras use an infra-red (invisible) flash ... otherwise they'd dazzle the driver.

[/voice of authority]
What will happen is that, if your friend HAS been captured all of these times, the camera unit will probably deal with each individually- I presume they just flick through the film/digital images in turn.

When (hypothetically) the 3rd FPN has been issued, then any subsequent activations cannot be dealt with by a FPN, since they would result in disqualification under totting-up. So they would result in a summons being issued. At that point all subsequent offences would probably be dealt with at one hearing. If the conditional offers start flooding in then probably wisest to just opt for a court appearance for all of them, as the "cumulative" punishment is liable to be less than if dealt with individually. [voice of authority]

What a pillock, for not only showing such flagrant disregard for the law as to drive past a camera well in excess of the speed limit repeatedly, but moreso for not noticing it's a forward-facing one! Deserves all the stupidity tax the courts deem fit to dish out I say!

A chap that used to work for us seemed to have done the same thing. Due to his general disregard for other road users, we gave him his marching orders. Shortly after, we received 3 FPN's, and then a further 8, making a total of 11 notices. We provided the information requested and left the matter for the ex-employee to deal with.
It would have made a total of 33 points, but by some act of god me must have been allowed to keep his license. " months later we had a latter from a local bus company asking for a reference, lets just say I doubt he got the job.
So its all down to your friends circumstances, if for example he can prove driving is an essential part of his work and if they took his license away he would lose his job, they might give him 11points and tell him to behave himself.

A friend got a fixed penalty notice the other day for doing 48 mph in a 40mph area.The camera hadnt been working for years and the camera was facing him ? :eek: ...it didn.t flash either .

Thing is the guy is really worried as he has gone past this camera over the past two weeks at speeds ranging from 45 mph to 50 mph.....Whats the situation ? will he get 12 penalty notices ? will he get 12 x 3 points on his licence eg 36 points ? or will he get an automatic ban for three months as you can only get 12 on your licence ? or if he has 36 points will he be banned for years ? any advice would be useful as he is sh***n himself..:eek:

In Australia if you surrender your drivers permit the penalties are suspended and no longer enforceable. It is only when you hold on to your drivers permit for dear life does it become a liability.

I personally would argue that the delay in being issued with an infringement notice had given less opportunity to improve or otherwise prevent the type of driving which would have lead to the other 11 notices being issued. Had it been a manned station the obvious outcome would have been immediate correction and driver education. The behaviour was unmodified for an extended period of time implies that there was no direct benefit to the driver in being penalised several times for the same behaviour in stealth, and notably, it did not result in any kind of accident of other danger to the general public.

I personally dont like people who are unreasonably speedy on the roads as they impart an uneasy traffic condition by tailgating or overtaking for no reason and make themselves an obstacle by being apparent in rear vision.

It might seem harsh but I do agree - if he's been fool enough to disregard a speed camera then he was bound to get caught out.

I go past two camera's every day on my way to and from work. They "appear" to be inactive but no-one takes the risk. Everyone goes through at 36 mph(it's a 40 road) I go through at 40! But they get the respect they demand! Your mate should have done the same.

It might seem harsh but I do agree - if he's been fool enough to disregard a speed camera then he was bound to get caught out.

I go past two camera's every day on my way to and from work. They "appear" to be inactive but no-one takes the risk. Everyone goes through at 36 mph(it's a 40 road) I go through at 40! But they get the respect they demand! Your mate should have done the same.

Foucault would have been proud of you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Foucault

Front facing cameras don't flash.

There was a similar case a while ago where a guy got done a load of times by a motorway roadworks camera that he passed every day and didn't think was working? Once you get to 9 points then you can't accept a fixed penalty - it goes to court and the automatic ban for 12 points is 6 mths, not 3.

Where was this - I don't know of any front facing cameras in the Chester area - although I realise you may have friends farther afield!

There's a road near me with the white distance markings for a camera, but no camera (ever, I've been driving that road for 20+ years). People slow down for that too :)

^^^

Hence what I said about opting for a court appearance straight off. Whilst the individual points will soon add up to disqualification, by dealing with everything in one go the court does not "add up" all the individiual penalties, ust impose one sentence for the lot.

But I think it likely he WAS disqualified, if only for a short time. Or perhaps he chose to forget it when applying for the bus job?!?

It would have made a total of 33 points, but by some act of god me must have been allowed to keep his license. " months later we had a latter from a local bus company asking for a reference, lets just say I doubt he got the job.

I think he was the A-hole bus driver that cut me up really badly by undertaking as the lanes merged after some traffic lights. Very, very nearly caused a multi car crash which would have spilled into the oncoming traffic as well.
I followed then stopped the bus, took his details and reported him formally to the bus company. Never saw him again....;)

On the plus side I found out just how good Brake Assist was, first time I'd ever used it.:)

Front facing cameras don't flash.

There was a similar case a while ago where a guy got done a load of times by a motorway roadworks camera that he passed every day and didn't think was working? Once you get to 9 points then you can't accept a fixed penalty - it goes to court and the automatic ban for 12 points is 6 mths, not 3.

Where was this - I don't know of any front facing cameras in the Chester area - although I realise you may have friends farther afield!

The camera is at Eastham, by the Little Chef heading towards Liverpool.The thing is I disagree totally with driving at speed but doing 46 mph in a 40 ? ...hardly crime of the century.This government seems hell bent on giving out penalty notices to get the coffers in...? Everyone should just buy a 1.2 Skoda...with leather and air con obviously...

...bet you all think it was me dont ya ???...:p

The camera is at Eastham, by the Little Chef heading towards Liverpool.The thing is I disagree totally with driving at speed but doing 46 mph in a 40 ? ...hardly crime of the century.This government seems hell bent on giving out penalty notices to get the coffers in...? Everyone should just buy a 1.2 Skoda...with leather and air con obviously...

...bet you all think it was me dont ya ???...:p
Nope. You don't sound scared enough.

The thing is I disagree totally with driving at speed but doing 46 mph in a 40 ? ...hardly crime of the century.This government seems hell bent on giving out penalty notices to get the coffers in...?

not crime of the century but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. In this case the law says 40 is the limit which means that your friend could have driven at ANY speed up to 40 mph.

The speed limits are defined by the law not by how fast people think it's OK to drive.

Perhaps if we started calling camera tickets "stupidity taxes" people would think more carefully about getting caught speeding not once but possibly twelve times by a bright yellow object on top of a big pole right next to the sign saying "beware speed cameras" on a road they drive down everyday - just HOW thick can you get? :D

Andy

I don't treat any cameras as inactive. As far as I am concerned every single one of those things is designed to get money out of my wallet, should I be overlooking the posted limits.

I'd say your friend is about to be made to understand the speed limit on that road, by parting with some serious wedge.

I've got to agree with Andy - it's a limit, not a guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom