Powersteering Fluid Level and Type

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbzclk

Car
An AMG
Hi

My Merc 208 has low power steering fluid I think.

It is the containor that sits just next to a big air pipe and its right ontop of a pump so im guessing its power steering or otherwise im stuck?

i assume its not for my sequentronic box...

what fluid does my car take? when i opened the cap it looked like very light brand new oil (yellow/brown) but euro car parts said merc have about a few different ranges or pas oil..

please advise.

Attachments

• x - Copy.jpg
    x - Copy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 178
I would take a trip to your local MB dealer, tell them your model and they will supply the correct fluid. Yes it is the PS reservoir. IIRC I got 1ltr for my W210 for around £12 a short while ago.

jeez, the MB (original) stuff is like £5-8 quid for the fluid. at euros

do u fill it when engine cold or warm?

As far as I'm aware, it makes no difference. I filled mine after a short drive to pick the fluid up.

BTW, Is that price at Europarts for 1lt or 500mls?

I think its CHF 11 S that goes in there.. but cant be sure as we use the genuine stuff normally.

If its low you have to ask why- maybe a slight leak somewhere? Best to use the MB stuff. If you use the chassis number to order you will get the correct grade- don't let folk tell you auto-transmission fluid is OK.

So what is it if its not atf?

Lynall

So what is it if its not atf?

Lynall
ATF is designed and manufactured to run hot and at high velocity and still provide lubrication and cooling to the friction bands in the auto box. Ussually red in color, due to a dye added for identification.

Power steering oil does not run hot and is slightly thicker and without going too technical, it's properties are made to prevent it from breaking down the rubber seals and O rings incorporated in the steering ram. It also smells stronger, don't know why. There are oil experts who visit this forum, so they can give more or better explanations.

Power steering oil can be either red or green, dependent on the make. For most MB cars, it is green

Last edited:
I only asked because i have used atf in pas for the last 20 years and its never been any trouble, this is in trucks, cars vans in fact everything:D
In fact i am planning to change mine by just syphoning out the res and refilling with atf 3.

Lynall

got some stuff today, wasnt red or green it was was brown looks just like whats in the containor.

its made by febi/bilstein and says on the packet mb part number 000 989 8803, and thats the same part number the dealer said i needed.

is the febi stuff ok or shall i go main dealer and get their stuff?

thanks

Thanks Olly! top man! Sorry one more question, but I have been debating with a mate if to fill the pas when engine hot or engine cold..

any proper advice / procedure here?

Thanks Olly! top man! Sorry one more question, but I have been debating with a mate if to fill the pas when engine hot or engine cold..

No difference hot or cold.

OK this may be OTT, but at 75,000 do I need to change the power steering fluid filter / fluid?

europarts price is for 1litre i think but will double check.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do we really need to change the power steering fluid at all , if the fluid is Pentosin ? On Pentosin page says its "life time" fluid.

I checked in Vivid WorkshopData for CLK W208 and it says "Power steering - ATF Dexron II MB 236.3". If they say so , then probably this ATF is the right fluid.

Im asking because i would change the fluid , if i must.

What u think ?

Last edited:

There must be a temperature level on the stick on the cap? Look properly you should have cold and hot on it.
Just changed mine not long ago, it was all ink dark... :crazy:

This is what I did, I only use 2 and half bottle to purge it and replace it. This is a good post below. :)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1413826-photo-diy-power-steeing-fluid-change.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom