• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

R129 fuel leak

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
Just a heads up to fellow R129 owners .

I started noticing a smell of petrol over the last week , getting progressively worse , no obvious drips under the car but the smell was inside the car and in the boot . There was also no longer any vacuum when I removed the filler cap .

My initial thought was a rusty fuel pipe or rubber hose underneath ; putting the car up on ramps and removing the cover from the fuel pump pack revealed everything in surprisingly good condition and no sign of any leaks .

The filler neck inside the boot looked fine , so I set about removing the metal bulkhead at the front of the boot to reveal the tank - once I had undone the two dozen or so bolts , the problem was evident : the bulkhead had been chafing against the tank ( which seems to be fibreglass itself and not plastic as I had presumed ) and had worn a tiny hole , just enough to allow a slow leak of fuel which was evaporating before dripping out anywhere . This was near the bottom of the tank , where a crease runs across its width . There were five areas where chafing was evident , but only the one had gone into a hole .

I've just spent the last couple of hours building up layers of fibreglass matting over the affected areas , and due to the cold temperatures will leave it a while further before putting fuel in to see if it's worked . Worst case scenario is I'll have to get another tank from Carl Burgess , but hopefully this will be OK .

I'm going to put a piece of carpet between the metal bulkhead and the tank to avoid repetition .

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this , but thought I'd flag it up .

I suspect someone's been in there before you. There should be some foam padding between the tank and the bulkhead - it was still very much intact on mine.

There is a strip near the top , and two small pads bottom left and right . Doesn't look to have been anything else .

Of course , someone may indeed have changed the shocks , I've no way of knowing , given I'm something like the 14th owner ! The sticktion of the bolts suggested they hadn't been disturbed in a very long time .

Just thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else suffers the same .

Thanks for that it`s nice to know.

Well , as an update - the fibreglass repair lasted for a while , but then the petrol smell came back the other day :(

I took a trip by Merparts in Port Glasgow as I knew they had a R129 for breaking , but they wanted to keep the tank in case they needed it for a customers car .

I did learn the tank design was updated and have now ordered a good used one from Carl Burgess at R129.co.uk . Although I baulked slightly at the cost of £380 for a used tank , this is still £1000 less than a new one from Mercedes !

Paul and Stef suggested , based on the vacuum when I removed the filler cap , that my charcoal filter might be blocked , and the resultant flexing may have caused the tank to crack ... I'll be putting a new strainer in the new tank when it comes ( the new tank is metal ) and will check out the vapour extraction system when fitting .

Will update later .

Pontoneer said:
Your tank ventilation system may be blocked
I will check this out once I get it booked. It only happened once when I topped the tank up. There is no smell of fuel in the car now too which is rather strange !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom