R129 refresh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another push over the weekend...got the oil cooler pipe changed, it was a rusty mess and leaking out of several places. Also changed one of the hoses as it wasn't looking too clever.

Replaced some of the dead interior bulbs, got a couple more to go. Also changed out one of the bonnet buffers, the other is going to need some more "abuse" to remove. Got the wood back in, along with a brand new storage pocket to replace the worn one.

Wheels are on, but I think it might benefit from sitting a bit lower. Here's a brief update shot anyway; I'm away on a course next week so won't be able to get some proper images until the weekend.

IMAG01012.jpg
looking great not sure about wheels have same needing refurbish blue or not to blue that is the question

Blue of course

Well...if your car isn't blue, then blue is probably the wrong colour. :D

Colour coding was an option on the AMG cars, and seemed to be quite popular when having the full kit fitted.

Looks really good doodle, making a nice car to last.
I need to by the break fluid for my car i remember you saying 5.1 dot brake fluid can you recommend a brand as i need to get some.

Without hijacking your thread here is some unbody work being done on mine. Its been cleaned, derusted, subframe shot blasted and arms and then resprayed, new poly bushes on those little orange thing on the pics, new brake cables lines etc. Its looking like new under there. All work is being done by MD Motorcare in ellesmere port.

Attachments

• sl60a.jpg
    sl60a.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Another one due brake lines then :D Mine need to be done later this year, along with a healthy dose of Dinitrol from Olly. Not bothering with blasting & spraying the subframe, I use mine too much to make it worth the effort.

Any brand of 5.1 will be ok, I tend to use Brembo LCF600 or Motul RBF.

ive listened to alot of advise etc, and the interior is finished now and in my opinion looks amazing. Only thing is the dashboard i want in leather stiching and the top of the doorcards. I have been quoted 1.2k from DClass for the dash alone, on the lookout for a wreckeds sl600 but no joy. If not ill get it made next year.

I ended up with a OEM maple steering wheel which is smart. Hopefully my car will be ready in a week or so and ill post lots of pics on a separate thread. Its been in for nearly 5 month now being worked on when the guys at md had some time and were not busy, but they always were so Dave ended up doing work on it at night or on sundays. So far really pleased. Dave says people come in and comment on it all the time saying how immaculate it is and they cant believe its 15 years old and they think the p reg is a private plate. The look of it now is 100% for my taste, ill see if all the mods and improvements have made it better to drive.

ps thanks for the info on the brake fluid.

A leather dash/doors would be nice, but at the moment I'd rather put the £2k into petrol, tyres and brake pads to continue thrashing it round the countryside :D

So, the end is in sight (for this leg of the project at least). The car is in at d:class for a new roof and a couple of other bits and bobs.

This is the state of the old one - frayed, worn and generally tired (although the replacement windows are still going strong).

IMAG01312.jpg

IMAG01322.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

The missing stitches that should be attaching the hood to the bows mean it flaps around like a sheet in the wind, which gets pretty aggravating after a while!

Are you having the OEM plastic ? I beleive David can give you the chose, thin or OEM.

OEM of course. No point coming all this way only to do things by halves. :D

OEM of course. No point coming all this way only to do things by halves. :D

Absolutely. It's just a friend of mine was not offered the option and thought thin was the only choice. He was not happy when he found out he could have original.

Ive heard many say that the thinner non oem plastic screens wear a lot better as they are a lot more flexible.

That said I went for an OEM replacement hood for the R107.

I guess plastics have improved since my hood was made in the mid 90s. If the replacement windows (when I get some) last another 15 years I'll be happy!

That is a nice car there.
that and EZ sl600 are the best 2 R129 Pre Facelifts ive seen.

Recently saw this car at Olly's GTG last weekend, looking very nice indeed.

I was interested to see the rear end overhaul going on, including renewal of all the pipes above the subframe, nice work Olly!

Bet you can't wait to start on mine!;)

Nearly there...the next job is the aircon condenser but I'm feeling a bit poor at the moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom