R129 refresh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I did my 129 a few years ago....messy job but looks great afterwards.

Most of mine is already gone so shouldn't be too bad. The newer style material is more like a matting and so should avoid this issue in the future.

'Having owned both I would not say the 129 drives better, rather it drives differently.

If you want a weekend 'classic' car go for a 107, if you want an everyday driver go with the 129'

What way differently? I found the engine a lot louder, less refined, alot less powerful, I found the suspension didnt absorb the bumps in the road very well and rolled alot. The breaks in my r129 are something im working on but that is still better than the r107 i drove, think it had 2 pots on the front.
All round better drive IMHO, the feeling you get driving it which is what a 'classic' car is really about is emotive, the look the smell, the emotion of the drive. I guess my youth was in the 90s person and your more so the 80s.
Having said that i like the front styling on the r107 really nice, but the rear always looks abit odd in my eyes.

BTW dont mean to offend any r107 owners as i only had chance to drive one for a day, maybe i had a minger! Remember the top gear BMW convertibles, at that age 20plus id imagine no 2 cars are the same.

From a buying POV I think most 'cheaper' R107s are likely to have significant rust (even if not immediately obvious) ... rare with the R129.

From a buying POV I think most 'cheaper' R107s are likely to have significant rust (even if not immediately obvious) ... rare with the R129.

Agreed Bill, you have to choose a 107 carefully.

Biturbo.....as i said differently the 129 IMHO is a 'bland modern drive' Similar to my E320 CDI it is not really involving. Don't get me wrong the 129 is a great car, but for a more interesting drive I prefer the 107. It is only my opinion having owned more than one car of both model types.

Last edited:
Nothing beats a well sorted R107 500SL.. I love my car, its very powerful, well balanced and so comfortable.

The R129 is a car ive never bonded with, ive had plenty... They just feel too heavy, too bulky and just not as special.
Of course the M119 is smoother and more powerful but it doesnt really make that much difference IMO.

I know what you mean 'bland' means competent. My little triumph spitfire my first car at 17 had bags of character and it was such an event to drive, the smell of leather and oil and the cockpit so tight and low it felt like you were in a ww2 plane, the brake needed enormous pressure to work from your foot and the steering was lively with swing rear axle and you needed constant steering input to make it work it was so involving to drive, but it was rubbish, i mean really it was rubbish.

'Nothing beats a well sorted R107 500SL.. I love my car, its very powerful, well balanced and so comfortable.

The R129 is a car ive never bonded with, ive had plenty... They just feel too heavy, too bulky and just not as special.
Of course the M119 is smoother and more powerful but it doesnt really make that much difference IMO.'

Thats whats great about mercedes. They really did make alot of good cars and because everyone is different people have favourites and opinions on which is best. Some say the smaller engined r107 is better, some the bigger engined ones. Its all about opinions and there is an arguement to back everyones opinion. If everyone rated the same cars then you'd find that one type of car would be unbelievably expensive and the rest peanuts, thankfully for enthusiasts thats not the case.

So, after a little break, we start the final push.

Olly fitted the H&R springs (which turned up a week after he did the service. Doh!) which sharpened up the appearance - goodbye to the 4x4 look - and also have made improvements to the ride and handling. Best of all, they're a nice subtle metallic grey colour.

Then it's off to D:class in 2 weeks time for a new roof, finish the steering wheel work and tidy up the rest of the leather interior.

IMAG0125.jpg

Looks lovely...

Watch that front bumper though.

You'll have to make sure you dont park nose in anywhere anymore.

That looks nice,me want.What was your address again

Sp!ke said:
Looks lovely...

Watch that front bumper though.

You'll have to make sure you dont park nose in anywhere anymore.

There's a surprising amount of clearance still, speed bumps are no issue. I'm used to being careful of splitters/chin spoilers so always leave plenty of space from the kerb.

It looks beautiful Drew. Really pleased with it.

Agreed, that's looking really good now.

Absolutely stunning Drew. The CL as we speak is being driven back from d:class by David.

What a good guy he is and what great work they do.

I don't know if you have had work done by them before ? You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
They've already done the outer rim of the wheel, which is great if perhaps a little more delicate than OEM. Feels nice though.

Apart from there's the odd little bit and piece to be finished off, but it's all pretty much done. First stop is some new indicators, the left hand lens is currently held onto the backplate with Sikaflex.

Last edited:
'Nothing beats a well sorted R107 500SL.. I love my car, its very powerful, well balanced and so comfortable.

Of course the M119 is smoother and more powerful but it doesnt really make that much difference IMO.'

Thats whats great about mercedes. They really did make alot of good cars and because everyone is different people have favourites and opinions on which is best. Some say the smaller engined r107 is better, some the bigger engined ones. Its all about opinions and there is an arguement to back everyones opinion. If everyone rated the same cars then you'd find that one type of car would be unbelievably expensive and the rest peanuts, thankfully for enthusiasts thats not the case.
sold mine im too tall for it 129 just fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom