R129 refresh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wondered when this post would appear :D

You're right, I do. Probably need to check out which spring pads are fitted to see what room there is for potential adjustment...I don't want to end up wrecking the front lip as per Leigh's warning.

Perhaps a run out on Saturday morning is in order.

I definitely would put you off lowering... going out in either of my SEC's is a nightmare in town...
The bumper catches every speed bump and I have to slow down to a stop to avoid damage. Can really upset drivers behind me.... Funny watching them trying to catch up when I accelerate though.

Thats just with standard 40mm H&R Lowering springs.

I had the widebody front bumper braced in the middle to lift it up slightly and to avoid damage...
Will have to do the same with the other SEC.

Note Multi Storeys are a No No with lowered cars and with split rims!

That's looking really nice now.

I agree re. the ride height, hard to say from one pic. but it looks to be sitting higher than normal for an R129 (could just be an optical illusion though).

Looking at your SEC pics it seems like the AMG spoiler extends a long way down off the bumper, in the same way that the old Alpina airdams do (My mate's B10 Biturbo is forever clouting its one on things)

I'm not sure the SL bumper has quite such an issue? Comparing the old and new pictures, the main difference is that the corner spats are more pronounced and extend forward a lot more (although they are also slightly deeper). There is also an airdam running between them which the standard bumper does not have.
I will get some proper measurements when I get home, but I think the SL bumper is maybe only 0.5-1" deeper?

That's looking really nice now.

I agree re. the ride height, hard to say from one pic. but it looks to be sitting higher than normal for an R129 (could just be an optical illusion though).

That pic was taken just after the wheels were fitted, so it's back on the floor but not settled out yet. Once settled it's a little better, but there's still a good 2-3 finger gap between wheel and arch.

If you have self levelling you can play with the ride height at the back... although its a bit hit and miss and takes some driving before the new ride height settles.

Yes you wont have such an issue with the front clearance... just be careful though!

No ADS, just coils and Bilstein dampers. I'm sure St. Oliver of the Blessed Spanner will have an appropriate solution.

Very definitely - I use the wagon for venturing into the badlands...*ahem* sorry, going shopping.

Right, empirical measure this evening, there's about 8-8.5" of clearance from the lowest point of the bumper.

Have to say, I've never used the 'raise' on my ADS in anger ... although obviously my car isn't bodykitted.

Sooo...

It went to see Olly on Saturday morning to a universal :thumb: Ordered a set of H*Rs and booked in for the 127k service, also discovered the new trans cooler pipe was leaking slightly at the union so new washers on order.

Dropped the half-wood steering wheel in at d:class, have also organised to have the seats freshened up, and prospective fitting of a new hood. Seems that reputation is preceeding itself.

So...service time means a trip down to PCS. Job list included the scheduled 126k service, also changed the rear diff oil as it's always had a slight leak and I wasn't sure how much was left in there, plus it was likely the original stuff... unsurprisingly it was pretty manky when it came out, but the new fluid has got rid of the slight whine under power.
New coolant as it hadn't been changed for some time, plus an aircon regas as it was pretty flat.

As usual, it never goes *quite* to plan, always a hidden snag or surprise to keep Olly on his toes :D The H&R springs hadn't arrived despite promises from Germany. The rear brake pipes and fuel hose are pretty rotten and will have to be replaced in the next 6 months. Both the lower arm ball joints are DOA. So...another little lot to do when the springs go in.

IMAG01032.jpg

IMAG01042.jpg

IMAG01052.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Great pictures, Doodle, and a great thread to follow.

I must admit I hanker after an R107 but seeing your lovely R129 makes me hesitate.

I am warming to the looks of the R129, I especially think it looks great with the hardtop on.

Probably a year or two before I am seriously looking, but threads like yours really get the temptation-meter going up!

drive both, the r129 is miles better, still feels modern the r107 doesn't.

btw i bought some rear camber adjustments, as the guys in the us says its a must if you lower the car.
They have arrived and they look tip top, they are stainless steel. Now the rear of the r129 can be adjusted not just the front.

What joints do these use, if not rubber bushes they will wear out in no time at all.

btw i bought some rear camber adjustments, as the guys in the us says its a must if you lower the car.
They have arrived and they look tip top, they are stainless steel. Now the rear of the r129 can be adjusted not just the front.

Would these be the KMAC or Dostrix ones?

dostrix ones, and yes they have rubber bushes.

I have had the car go through a mini restoration. As it was in very good condition to start with but never the less the money ive spent has been quiet abit but as i want to keep the car for as long as i can.
Checked everywhere and everything. Only sign of any rust was on the rear subframe, so that has been taken out and send over to get shot blasted and powdercoated back up. The whole of the underbody is being rust proofed. New Poly bushes all round the kit doesnt have the subframe bushes so they will be oem.
The C63 brake project dissappeared in a cloud of smoke. I bougt them on auction at a time that thought noone would buy, new years day 11pm but i cant sell them for love no money for the price i paid. Amazin. Still had about 40 offers for splitting and 230 watchers.
Apparently they are gen 2 AMG brembo calipers and only the gen 1 fit. So the old brakes will go back on, new braided brake lines 5.1 dot brake fluid.
I have spent mega bucks on the sound system Amp, Mcintosh Mx5000 headunit and some focal 2 way speakers for the door. I think the orginal sound system is good but as i was abit of an audiophile in my youth i thought id go for that.
Fingers crossed everything will be done in 4 weeks and ill post some pics ready to be slaughtered and flamed.

drive both, the r129 is miles better, still feels modern the r107 doesn't.

Having owned both I would not say the 129 drives better, rather it drives differently.

If you want a weekend 'classic' car go for a 107, if you want an everyday driver go with the 129......

They both drive well in their own way.....:)

BTW Doodle some new under bonnet insulation would not go a miss...:thumb:

Last edited:
Yup, been meaning to do that for a couple of years now, the insulation has been sat in the garage waiting. Once respray was decided upon it was postponed until afterwards, now just waiting for a clear weekend and some warmer weather to strip the old stuff off, clean down and slather with adhesive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom