rattle from near side rear when doing a slow corner....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercjim

Car
C200 Elegance '95
ok, when i set off when car is cold, i turn first corner out of my street and get a rattle / banging noise from rear n/s .....
doesnt matter if i turn left or right...
but once car as run for a few mins... it doesnt do it any more....

had the rear wheel off and had a look, nothing broken....
cv joint seems ok on drive shaft.....

but its baffeling me as to whats wrong.... bushes maybe... i dunno...

any help will be of great assistance

thx

The only thing at the rear that's going to warm up is the rear silencer/ heat shield. Maybe something loose like an internal baffle which rattles when cold but expands to a tight fit when warmed up

its more like a "something going round and banging against something else or itself" sound to be honest.....

just hoping its not in the diff or the cv....

If it were the diff or CV joint I would have thought the problem would be constantly there? Might be a partial seizure of the hand brake shoes or a brokenbrake shoe return spring. Try leaving the car in park over night and dont use the handbrake. See if that makes the problem go away the next day?

need to use a brick then... i live on a hill lol...

will try bud... thx

Just put it in low gear and have the front wheels face the kerb. It shouldn't roll away.

tried it and still makes the noise... seems to be getting worse and lasting a little longer now.
ordered rear disc's, pads & park shoes for saturday morning...
so when i rip the old ones off, i'll have a good butchers at the cv joint....
im hoping it aint the prop... but if it was that, it would bang / rattle all the time wouldnt it?

thx for help

At the bottom of the wheel carrier there is a bearing/bush that supports the lower suspension arm which in turn supports the rear spring.

This bush can partially seize due to age/wear/water entry etc.

Before you get into the car hold the side of the roof and push the car back and forth to see if the sound is from that area.

its started doing it all the time now... even on the straight... and i cant find the problem... really beginning to anouy me...
im changing the rear disc's pads and foot brake shoes this morning... gonna have a real good butchers underneath....

thx for reply

Could it be a small stone rattling around inside the CV joint rubber cover?

have you had a look at the coil spring poss a bit snaped off & rattles on the lower arm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom