Removing heavy brake dust deposits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best wheel cleaner I've come across is Autobrite Very Cherry non acidic. You can dilute it from neat to 1 part cleaner to 10 parts water depending how bad the wheels are. It's about £20 for 5 litres so for most people it will last forever!!

I used it on a 6 year old 206 whose wheels had never been off and cleaned. It got all the brake dust off the backs off the wheel straight away with only tar deposits being left. Tardis dealt with those.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Wonder Wheels.

Iron-X would probably be your best option, try to clean them with regular wheel cleaner first, then use the Iron-X.

It may need a couple of applications and some agitation with a brush.

im a car valeter, when we get cars in with badly pitted or stained wheels, we use TFR first to remove dirt or dust, then we use wheel acid bought from autoglym which retail would be called wheel cleaner! spray on to the wheel, leave to soak for 2 mins (alloys need to be cold and not hot while doing this, meaning not been driven) use a autoglym wheel brush and brush away the brake dust. will work wonders, your wheels will not need a refurb trust me!!!

Will, as it's an oldie for just running around in, unless you want to go to all the hassle of flatting back, masking up and spraying with a rattle can, try a Scotchbrite pad (or even a cheapie green scouring pad and some hot soapy water. Rub gently at first to avoid scratching the lacquer too badly. That will take the worst of the ingrained brake dust off. It'll cost you next to nothing and take just a few minutes. Just be careful the missus doesn't see you or she'll have you scrubbing all the pots clean - just because you can!

If you do end up struggling with wheel cleaners, try any fallout remover. Works wonders.

Euh, what is fallout remover? :confused: Sorry, I don't live in GB anymore, but fallout for me was radioactive dust and other junk. Can^t see that on any wheels though

Euh, what is fallout remover? :confused: Sorry, I don't live in GB anymore, but fallout for me was radioactive dust and other junk. Can^t see that on any wheels though

IronX or Wolfs Deironiser are the best ones

Acid occasional use won't harm them - don't put on center caps and don't leave too long to remove.

Very quickly without paying a premium - B&Q brick cleaner should shift that.

I read once about someone using Mr Muscle on a Disco's wheels. Apparently worked a treat. Not that I'm recommending that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom