Retrieve the platinum from catalyst and spark plugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
As stated on the BBC Breakfast news this morning about stolen catalysts. Each catalyst contains a gram of platinum. How do you retrieve the platinum from catalysts and spark plugs?:D

Didn't I read in another thread someone drilled all the honey-comb stuff from the catalyst and dump it in the bin?

As stated on the BBC Breakfast news this morning about stolen catalysts. Each catalyst contains a gram of platinum. How do you retrieve the platinum from catalysts and spark plugs?:D

Didn't I read in another thread someone drilled all the honey-comb stuff from the catalyst and dump it in the bin?

I did.

I however chose not to sit with a pile of ceramic, a ball mill and some very nasty chemicals to recover a bit of platinum. Much easier to just go to work.

Wait a minute, I didn't steal those catalysts. Aren't you a recycled enthus, Recycled?:p

Was speaking to my sister in USA (MA) - this is a big problem over there...+ fuel theft is now a rising crime -- no syphoning -- just drilling a hole in the fuel tank..(I expect they are smoking weed at the same time.....man....and having a blast..lol):D

Fuel theft will become a widespread crime. Its inevitable. I topped up my C200K Sunday from just below half full to full and it was nearly £50.
A few more price hikes and a full tank will be approaching £100.
God knows what a bigger engined Merc would cost to refuel from empty. I am now REALLY glad I kept my senses about me and bought a C200 as opposed to something more tempting but less frugal. I fear my next Merc might be an oil burning A class. Not my first choice it must be said.

Fuel theft will become a widespread crime. Its inevitable. I topped up my C200K Sunday from just below half full to full and it was nearly £50.
God knows what a bigger engined Merc would cost to refuel from empty. I am now REALLY glad I kept my senses about me and bought a C200 as opposed to something more tempting but less frugal. I fear my next Merc might be an oil burning A class. Not my first choice it must be said.

I put in £83.60 worth on Sunday,, 76 liters

Me too VTD. I remember someone smuggly waffling on about having a 47 litre fuel slurping beast when they never went faster than walking pace, yes sure , I can afford fuel, the point is, I don't want to have to.

Mercedes should always give you an allowance for any cat replaced. It is in my literature.

Those not given an allowance on their invoice have been done.

There is going to be more Merc defectors and next year at this time there will be less members. I am thinking of having a BM3 320i all the fault of the Government because of the road tax and fuel.:D

I can't find any Merc other than Smart that are favourable in terms of road tax and fuel.

After filling my 53 E class estate 320 cdi with £90 of diesel. I am now realising why so many tanks are being drilled or fuel pipes being cut.
Can anyone tell me what the new excise duty for my car will be in December. I saw a Suzuki Vitara today with a £400 Road tax.:devil:

There is going to be more Merc defectors and next year at this time there will be less members. I am thinking of having a BM3 320i all the fault of the Government because of the road tax and fuel.:D

I can't find any Merc other than Smart that are favourable in terms of road tax and fuel.
My A class does 52.3 mpg combined in automatic form and 54.3 in manual.

My brother gets over 60mpg from his A160cdi manual.

Mercedes new Bluetec engines will be here soon, the cleanest and most economical diesels in the world, they claim.

After filling my 53 E class estate 320 cdi with £90 of diesel. I am now realising why so many tanks are being drilled or fuel pipes being cut.
Can anyone tell me what the new excise duty for my car will be in December. I saw a Suzuki Vitara today with a £400 Road tax.:devil:

Help yourself :cool:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Terrifying. Though I must admit I couldn't find your £400 Vitara.

i did £415 in fact
2.016v 5d auto between 05-07.

it is so confusing, a lot of car dealers will have to put the car tax price on the screen as well because a lot of people will back out of a sale when they finally find out the price and it could change by £100 just by the month of registration or a manual/ auto.
maybe merc might make more manuals now.

Last edited:
i
it is so confusing, a lot of car dealers will have to put the car tax price on the screen as well because a lot of people will back out of a sale when they finally find out the price and it could change by £100 just by the month of registration or a manual/ auto.
maybe merc might make more manuals now.

Oh no they won't. They hide it as long as they can, they are interested in selling cars and take your profits and run. They are not sentimental. The Government should make them display the road tax if you buy this car similar to the mpg and efficiency now being displayed of their products.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom