rim restored

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rom1

Car
Mercedes c220d cabriolet
managed to remove the unsightly markings from chrome trim.

Used 1000 >2000 > 3000 grit wet and dry sanding discs, used by hand not machine, plenty of water and keep going in stages till the milky residue stops coming off, once happy with finish, go over with G10 compound, machine polish used black soft pad then buffing pad.

Still got to do the sides, takes a long time but result was near perfect. :)

Attachments

• st1.jpg
    st1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 28
  • st2.jpg
    st2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 28
Great job. I’d be interested to know how long the finish lasts, please do update the thread over time. Watching the thread 👍🏻

I would also add a ceramic coating after all that work as bare Aluminium oxidises
I wonder whether it could be re-lacquered by a body shop?

wow... what a difference! Great job.

It needs to be re lacquered......if not it will just keep tarnishing/oxidizing no matter what you rub into it.

Thank you all, will keep this updated, going to start coating it on the weekly wash, bought the car a few days ago, and got a good chunk of money knocked off as they couldn't get the finish right, if it does get worse or returns to previous state planning to rub it down again and it it lacquered for a permanent finish.

I would also add a ceramic coating after all that work as bare Aluminium oxidises
Thank you, planning on adding a number of coats one a week after the weekly wash.

I wonder whether it could be re-lacquered by a body shop?
most of the damage is caused by tfr and acid used by hand car wash, I always wash at home and don't use anything harsh, so hopefully with wax sealant it should stay looking good, if not will get body to lacquer with high gloss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom