S212 E500 Avantgarde on Autotrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hope you have a great day Angus. Let us know your first impressions

Quick first impressions. Got it home just in time to catch the train to Derby. Love the car. Sound system surprisingly good considering I'm used to HK. Miss the bolsters. Prefer the low speed steering on the 212, the high speed in the 211. Love the piano black wood & chrome. Love the colour combo. Particularly keen on the extra elastic band pulling it towards the horizon.

0n the music front reverting to CD's for now is fine. It's got the CD changer and as a bonus ir shows the album name & track listing which is very handy. I don't have Bluetooth music streaming but will work out how to gradually fill up the hard drive. As I said it loses out a little on audio quality to the HK in my previous 211 (no surprise) but it's much much better than the basic one I listened to in a 350 and is still remarkably good for a factory set up. Definitely a Bruce Bonus.

OK so I now have the adaptor for the slot in the dash and the CF card that fits the adaptor. Have now ordered a card reader that will me to connect the card to my wife's laptop......

Am also in the process of downloading the Amazon Music PC app which looks like the way to pump MP3's out of the Amazon ecosystem and set them free.

So soon I'll be able start pouring MP3's into my HD and travel long distances with loads of music at my fingertips.

Phew.

And today's Easter Egg;

Just found out it's got Linguatronic.

And Attention Assyt.

Finally a Merc with rear wash wipe on a stalk.

I don't know, its ok when you find it. I may have had to get the manual out to find it on day 2..
Ok yes its better where it is on the 212. Glad you're enjoying it.
Isn't it a it, well, slow :rolleyes:

Isn't it a it, well, slow :rolleyes:

LOL. I nailed it down a dry slip road onto the M40 the other day and it was almost breaking traction.

Yours must be absolutely barking.

They certainly are. I need another one...

Well done on the choice of car, E500. I've had a couple of cars with that 5.5 power plant and very nice it is too.

Very nearly picked up another, the 09 plate W211 that was being discussed a couple of months ago but I ended up in a 335i. Not quite as quick as the E63 BiTurbo even now remapped, but a third of price and a lot better on fuel.

No doubt I will be back for an S212 with a V8 again soon. Or the E500 coupe again maybe; the platform only weighs 1700kg so you can imagine how it performs with 388hp.

Then of course are the rarest E500 of all, the 4.7 turbo from 2011 on. These really are few and far between. I've seen E500 Coupe and Convertible with the 4.7 and a CLS. But I don't recall any W/S212.

Last edited:
Well done on the choice of car, E500. I've had a couple of cars with that 5.5 power plant and very nice it is too.

It's actually a bit mental - did a rolling 0-60 on the paddles and it was slightly alarming.

Very nearly picked up another, the 09 plate W211 that was being discussed a couple of months ago but I ended up in a 335i. Not quite as quick as the E63 BiTurbo even now remapped, but a third of price and a lot better on fuel.

Love the whole concept of the 335i.

No doubt I will be back for an S212 with a V8 again soon. Or the E500 coupe again maybe; the platform only weighs 1700kg so you can imagine how it performs with 388hp.

Wow. Light & fast.

Then of course are the rarest E500 of all, the 4.7 turbo from 2011 on. These really are few and far between. I've seen E500 Coupe and Convertible with the 4.7 and a CLS. But I don't recall any W/S212.

Massive shame. Would have been massively good car.

There is one place you can get them...
https://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/mercedes-benz-e-500-cgi-4-matic-amg-optic-styling-paket-worbis/240979610.html?ref=srp

It's actually a bit mental - did a rolling 0-60 on the paddles and it was slightly alarming.

Yes, flooring it in first gear is quite something.

E500 coupe vs Estate

It's worth remembering that the E500 coupe is a much smaller car than the E500 estate, having been built on the W204 C Class platform, not the W212 / S212 platform. I don't know why they called it an E, but they did.

It's a good comparison to the 335i: similar platform but different way of delivering the power. The challenge for Mercedes drivers is can you live with the harder suspension, tram lining, limited rear access for adults and general all round sportier outlook? (I had a Birds modified, Quaiffe 335i as my daily driver before I eased back into my SL500)

Which might sound like a criticism of the 335i, which it isn't. The 335i is probably the best E90. It's just that it's just a different offering.

In other news I got just over 29mpg on the display on the trip to Oxforshire which is pretty good condisering the stop statrt London bits, a jam on the M40 and some....err...enthusiastic acceleration when I was driving solo.

I've got some long mway drives coming up so it'll be interesting to see how high I can nudge it. I'm guessing maybe 32/33 at an indicated 75?

Also the ambient cabin lighting was a big hit all round.

Found the blind spot warning v useful on the A40/M40.

Luggage nets in boot v handy.

Missed my coin tray/sunglass holder thing.

Thule Wing bars now ordered........

They are supposed to be quieter.

And I can now have one key for all 8 locks as I have 591 carriers - handy.

It seems the answer is "29 mpg" . Withouthe either really pushing it or hypermiling it seems to get to around that figure and stay there. Happy with that as it's only 5mpg off a 350 CGI. O

Doing the maths.. How much extra a year?

So how much is that extra 16% a year to you?

Couple of hundred quid? Fifteen quid a month?

That's what I've always reckoned the cost of a V8 to be.....

(Pretty insignificant to the depreciation cost of running a 5 year old car)

In other news I got just over 29mpg on the display on the trip to Oxforshire which is pretty good condisering the stop statrt London bits, a jam on the M40 and some....err...enthusiastic acceleration when I was driving solo.

I've got some long mway drives coming up so it'll be interesting to see how high I can nudge it. I'm guessing maybe 32/33 at an indicated 75?

Now that's what you don't see in an E55! Best I can do is 25 on a long motorway run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom