Sat Nav / Command Firmware Update Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CosaRossa

Car
2003 Mercedes E Class W211 Estate
Hello everyone! I am a new member here.

My name is Andy and I have been a Mercedes fan from afar for a while now. Not anymore!

I have looked at quite a few threads about sat nav issues but none of them quite seem to address my problem. Here we go then.......

I collected my 2003 W211 e320cdi last week. Over the weekend I did some updates and ran into some issues. Before I began the updates everything was working fine including; Sat Nav, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, Audio etc. After the update I lost all Sat Nav functionality. I would like to get that back. Here is what I did.

I downloaded a copy of the latest firmware for the command unit and installed it. It was downloaded from here so it came from the correct place.

Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

At the end of the update I got a message saying version 30/2006 (V21.090) had installed correctly. I followed the instructions to the letter but at the end the Sat Nav had stopped working. Whenever I press the nav or map button I get a blue screen. At the top of the screen there is a black bar containing a screen icon and a speaker icon that are both crossed out. There is no message in the display saying that there is an error or that the drive cannot be read. I have attached a picture showing the blue screen. I loaded the firmware again just to be sure it was not a bad read. The update loaded again. I attach a shot of what it looked like after the second update completed. The sat nav still did not work.

I spoke to Mercedes who said that a new map disc would be needed so I purchased the latest APS 2015/2016 update disc at some considerable cost. I followed the update instructions but I still have exactly the same blue screen. I attach a picture of the 2016 box.

The sat nav DVD that 2016 replaced was APS Version 5.1. I am wondering if there is some new firmware between 5.1 and 2016 that needs to be installed before the latest DVD will work.

The sat nav drive in the boot is definitely spinning up to speed and attempting to read the disc. I was assured by the parts guy at Mercedes that the disc would work but it does not.

Is the necessary firmware update for the nav drive (if one is required) contained on the 2015-2016 disc? If not then where could I get it?

I find it hard to believe that the sat nav drive would fail at exactly the same time that I updated my Command firmware.

I also tried disconnecting the sat nav drive and leaving it without power for a while, hoping that it may reset itself. That did not work either.

I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible to help resolve this issue.

Can anyone throw any light on what the problem might be and how I can get the sat nav going again?

If you need any further information then just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Attachments

• update.JPG
    update.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 48
  • blue screen.JPG
    blue screen.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 2016 sat nav disc.JPG
    2016 sat nav disc.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 48
?Very technical and I would say critical you get correct advice

First stop should be the guys at Command on line

Look them up and talk it through with them

Good luck (ps they will need your VIN so have that too hand)

Hello everyone! I am a new member here.

My name is Andy and I have been a Mercedes fan from afar for a while now. Not anymore!

I have looked at quite a few threads about sat nav issues but none of them quite seem to address my problem. Here we go then.......

I collected my 2003 W211 e320cdi last week. Over the weekend I did some updates and ran into some issues. Before I began the updates everything was working fine including; Sat Nav, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, Audio etc. After the update I lost all Sat Nav functionality. I would like to get that back. Here is what I did.

I downloaded a copy of the latest firmware for the command unit and installed it. It was downloaded from here so it came from the correct place.

Daimler AG - Service & Parts net

At the end of the update I got a message saying version 30/2006 (V21.090) had installed correctly. I followed the instructions to the letter but at the end the Sat Nav had stopped working. Whenever I press the nav or map button I get a blue screen. At the top of the screen there is a black bar containing a screen icon and a speaker icon that are both crossed out. There is no message in the display saying that there is an error or that the drive cannot be read. I have attached a picture showing the blue screen. I loaded the firmware again just to be sure it was not a bad read. The update loaded again. I attach a shot of what it looked like after the second update completed. The sat nav still did not work.

I spoke to Mercedes who said that a new map disc would be needed so I purchased the latest APS 2015/2016 update disc at some considerable cost. I followed the update instructions but I still have exactly the same blue screen. I attach a picture of the 2016 box.

The sat nav DVD that 2016 replaced was APS Version 5.1. I am wondering if there is some new firmware between 5.1 and 2016 that needs to be installed before the latest DVD will work.

The sat nav drive in the boot is definitely spinning up to speed and attempting to read the disc. I was assured by the parts guy at Mercedes that the disc would work but it does not.

Is the necessary firmware update for the nav drive (if one is required) contained on the 2015-2016 disc? If not then where could I get it?

I find it hard to believe that the sat nav drive would fail at exactly the same time that I updated my Command firmware.

I also tried disconnecting the sat nav drive and leaving it without power for a while, hoping that it may reset itself. That did not work either.

I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible to help resolve this issue.

Can anyone throw any light on what the problem might be and how I can get the sat nav going again?

If you need any further information then just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Hi,

Yes weve seen this before. We can fix it. Call us on 01276 474900 for an appointment.

Follow up report

Hello chaps,

A quick update on the inoperative sat nav on my W211.

I ran the car up to the local Merc dealership. They did a diagnostic and told me that the firmware update I did on the head unit had wiped everything! They reinstalled the correct firmware on the command head unit and the sat nav reader/player. The sat nav system now works! The cost was £144.00 including VAT. An expensive lesson learnt but they did do a free valet!

I think it is safe to say that if you have a 2003 W211 then don't update your firmware via the Mercedes website ink. If you do it will bugger up your sat nav. I asked the chap at the Merc dealership why Mercedes put out firmware updates but DON'T make it clear that in some situations it will screw the sat nav. Unsurprisingly he had no answer. Does anyone on the forum have any similar experiences of this issue?

I would also like to thank Richard & Alfie at Command Online for their expert telephone advice. Had they not been so far away I would have visited them for certain. However, the cost of diesel and time for a 500 mile round trip made it prohibitive for this particular problem.

Finally I attach a picture of the car.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Attachments

• Mercedes E Class.jpg
    Mercedes E Class.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Glad you are sorted, and your Merc dealer has done a good job of sorting this out at a reasonable price given many would take hours and hours to work out how to sort this.

I hope you continue to enjoy your Merc !

Cheers
Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom