shift knob removal on W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kevinE200

Can anyone tell me how to removal/install the shift knob on my W210 please?

kevinE200 said:
The collar at the bottom turns anti-clockwise 90 degrees. The knob then pulls off. (I'm assuming automatic)

S.

Thanks S.
Do you mean the bottom part of the knob? Mine is stuck! Do I need any special tool for removing it?

kevinE200 said:
Thanks S.
Do you mean the bottom part of the knob? Mine is stuck! Do I need any special tool for removing it?
It can be quite stiff. you might need something to grip it with - mole wrench or something, but be careful not to damage the plastic . . . use something in between tool & shifter.

S.

sym said:
It can be quite stiff. you might need something to grip it with - mole wrench or something, but be careful not to damage the plastic . . . use something in between tool & shifter.

S.
Perhaps you should do a 'HOW TO' sym :p Actually I thought mine was quite easy to get off :eek: I think mole wrench might be a bit OTT. How about gripping the collar with a tea towel instead of bare fingers? I find that usually improves my grip sufficiently. Sad but I usually remove the gear knob to clean/polish it when I am detailing the interior of my car.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I think mole wrench might be a bit OTT.
S.
Nah - sometimes needs a little extra help. If the mole wrench fails, just hit it with a LARGE hammer *

Steve_Perry said:
Sad but I usually remove the gear knob to clean/polish it when I am detailing the interior of my car.
:eek:

* Disclaimer: NOT REALLY !!!

Last edited:
i can now remove

does any body know the part numbers for a oem w210 avantgarde gear knob, the leather one i have is worn out and would like to replace with same or better design maybe an after market one help would begrateful.

does any body know the part numbers for a oem w210 avantgarde gear knob, the leather one i have is worn out and would like to replace with same or better design maybe an after market one help would begrateful.

What colour is your leather?

I think I may have the one I took out of the E55 when I put the AMG alloy one in.
I'll check in a bit.

the alloy 1

I think I may have the one I took out of the E55 when I put the AMG alloy one in.
I'll check in a bit.
have you any pics sounds ok is that an oem part and how much. not sure iff to stick with like for like or go for an alloy what do you think grav.:confused:

I've found it.
It looks a lot better in real life as the flash on the camera makes everything reflect.

Attachments

• SSL10730 Resized.JPG
    SSL10730 Resized.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 124
have you any pics sounds ok is that an oem part and how much. not sure iff to stick with like for like or go for an alloy what do you think grav.:confused:

The alloy one I have was exbenzive.
Better off to stick to the original one or get a complete leather topped one.
I also have one of those;)

Sad but I usually remove the gear knob to clean/polish it when I am detailing the interior of my car.

S.

I remove the central console from time to time to hover up all the crumbs - I guess that makes me sadder! :eek:

Here's my old facelift W210 Anthracite Avantgarde knob

Merc5.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously need to 'up spec' then..

He must only have the standard worktop then;)

Mine is the Avantgarde worktop:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom