Sl60

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear, this is not looking good :(

DVLA can make mistakes - I recently looked at a BMW M5 that was registered new in the UK in August 1995 (N plate), it went to Ireland for a few years and when it came back into the UK was registered by the DVLA as July 1998, which should be an R plate, but they gave it a P plate! Double error :eek:

Certainly the codes not showing up looks worrying, I'd suggest you give this a couple weeks max to try get 100% confirmation it's an SL60, if not then the seller has to take it back - ignorance of the issue isn't an excuse - then up to him how he proceeds... Of course, fingers crossed for you and BEST OF LUCK WITH IT!

BTW very interesting seeing how to tell a real one, some very knowledgeable guys here!

Just spoke to MB again to get the location of the engine number as I really nee to confirm this before I go further. They have said it is around the back of the engine just opposite the location of the VIN/Chassis number when viewed from the front offset slight to the left. I can see a stamped number in the block with a mirror but it just says HWA 119 08 if my mirror reading is correct! There is also an HWA part code on the
Well surely if the engine block is stamped HWA 119 09 that means it is an AMG proper. ie HWA = AMG and 119 the engine.....no?

Still doesn't explain the performance tho...

Come up here and I'll show you what a proper one does.

Last edited:
Still unsure...was hoping to find either the original SL500 number of 11998222010202 or the reported current engine number of 11998222990175.

Anyone have any idea where it is and if it indeed should be there? Anyone have an SL60 and has found and seen their engine number and it is the full engine number as per the docs?

Thanks all for your help.

Tell me where to look and I'll have a look tomorrow.

I have had another good look and can't see any other numbers. All I can see is a bit of worn yellow paint and the numbers HWA 119 08 with an odd 20 just an inch or so over.

I popped a little mirror down the back left side of the engine when viewed from the front just below what seems like the cam/rocker cover for the left 'V' of the engine again when viewed from the front. That is where MB CAC told me to look and that is where I found these numbers. He also said it was opposite the location of the VIN/chassis number that I can see and near where I found this number.

I have taken a few other pics as well and uploaded them again to www.sl60amg.com

The airbox/engine cover had the numbers HWA 119 090 07 01 & HWA 119 584 01 38

I have just uploaded the images to the site and the HWA Engine Number - Back of Block.jpg is the key one.

Hi if remove the black cover in front of the air box you will find the engine number between the two cylinder heads on a ledge facing straight up. Hope this helps.

top coupe.....thanks so much for this little nugget of info...can't believe I never saw this before! I have just taken the cover off and lo and behold the engine number is there. The engine number is 119 982 22 990 175 as I thought and hoped. The V5 log book is wrong and always has been. At least this confirms it is definately and AMG engine. Either AMG have got their records wrong, actually know nothing about this engine and car for whatever reason or the car was converted to SL60 AMG spec through abnormal channels.

I feel a bit happier now but it is still booked in for the dyno session in the morning so that should tell a story as well.

Good luck with the car, been following progress its probably an SL60AMG anyways!!

Enjoy the ride and show me some photos soon!!

I feel a bit happier now but it is still booked in for the dyno session in the morning so that should tell a story as well.

Let us know please mate :thumb:

Based on the facts so far above, it sounds like :

- car began as SL500
- AMG did the bodykit/wheels
- 6.0 m119 was added as an afterthought by one of the owners, not AMG
- Relevant modules, LH and EZL were not added

Sounds like you have an early 6.0 m119 with HWA 119 casting on the rear. That casting would confirm AMG involvement.You can probably give that number to AMG office and they can confirm what production number engine it was and what car it went to ?

So, if the above is correct, all you need to extract the 400bhp is the HWA LH module. You can achieve the same result much cheaper through usage of a RRFPR tuned up with a wideband O2 sensor.

One other important item to confirm if you do want to maximise power - the inlet manifold.How much air you can get into the engine is going to determine power output and to allow the 6.0 big bore to get the air it needs. Usually this was ported/flowed by AMG, I think the original was even HWA part numbered. Would be good to know if previous owner transferred engine with ancillaries or block alone.

Those AMG air filter housings are not cheap at all, so one would expect the engine to be the real deal underneath.Only without the right modules feeding the right fuel(LH)/air(inlet manifold)/timing(EZL), the 6.0 block is no gain on the 5.0 base item.

Talbir

This thread reminds me of a car that KLP_92 and Mark both went to see a few years ago... it turned out not to be an SL60 and so neither of them bought it..

I have been watching this thread with interest.

It just occured to me that if it is not an AMG factory car and the engine was added at a later date it stands to reason that the brakes may be stock SL500 and therefore not up to the extra power of the SL60.

If it has got the correct engine but not the right module it would be prudent to get the brakes checked to see if they can handle the extra power before the module is changed.

If the block number is cast, it should be ok, of course confirmation from AMG would be more ideal.

If it's a sticker...well, those mean nothing at all.

talbir

Good point on brakes, the SL60 ideally should carry the larger SL600 version brake discs/calipers. Not sure if the SL60 left the factory with SL600 brakes or AMG version calipers.

talbir

Right....drum role please.... I have finally had official confirmation from Mercedes that the car is indeed a known and genuine SL60 AMG...hooray!

I also have just come back from a dyno session and the car outputs 376.0 BHP/381.2 PS which is bang on what the original documentation suggests. I still think there is more to come as the car needs a new set of plugs, a coil pack and some petrol/injector additive coupled with a good run for a few weeks. This may bring it closer to some other cars and unofficial reports of cars with over 400 PS.

It is at last nice to have some good news as I have spent tons of hours on this over the last week and my stress levels were far too high. The dyno guy couldn't get any accurate readings on the torque figures as he claims it is very difficult to do this on their dyno with an auto box. He said a manual is easy and fairly accurate but auto's are always innaccurate by miles on auto's.

The main issue seems to be the wrong engine number was given to the DVLA 13 years ago and has never been spotted up until I spotted it last week. I still want AMG to confirm this as well and am awaiting confirmation from them. Mercedes are sending me an e-mail to confirm the authenicity of the vehicle and also an official signed letter to state it as well.

At least we all have some closure now it seems other than a few minor admin errors. I want to see if they can amend the Data Card to reflect the 957 code for the AMG Technology Package as well.

Last edited:
That is good news indeed - well done for being so persistant and tracking it all back like that. :bannana:

Indeed...thanks all. I can change over the insurance now and go for my first official drive this weekend! Been a rough week but this is a nice finish to it all. Had to be very dogged and persistent with this but it paid off in the end.

Makes you wonder how many other mistakes and anomalies MB have made with other vehicles though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom