Snow socks or chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never seen any proper figures to support the 'below 7 degrees' argument. I.e. a table showing temperature vs. braking distance with the same tyres on the same road surface. As mentioned though that info. is available for tread depth vs wet braking distance at 'normal' temps - more relevant as far as safety is concerned in the UK.

On a positive note, we were in Costco today and they were selling 'composite snow chains' for about £50 a pair, which looked quite handy for sticking in the boot if you are at risk of being stuck in the snow somewhere.

Last winter we had it rough in the North East but I was driving a 5 month old van with new Tyres and never got stuck once, in fact I ended up as a taxi driver to most of the family. My point is what will winter Tyres be like when the tread drops to 3 or 4 mm, any set of new Tyres will make a difference.

We get two remarkably bad winters in a row and suddenly this is assumed to be the norm.:mad:

There are weather cycles, for many years we have been fortunate and had mild winters, recently this trend has reversed. So if it continues like this, then bad winters will be the norm.

Russ

I think you are on to something there.

We've all listened to stories from old codgers about how good their old cars were in snow many years ago.

Russ

I hadn’t actually considered myself as an old codger.
However, years ago we didn’t often get stuck in the snow. I used Michelin XMS on the back of a Ford 100E and then on a Mark 1 Cortina. The Michelin X tyre seemed to get around well enough, as did the Dunlop SP. In the mid seventies I had a Mustang with Pirelli CN 36 tyres fitted. Cannot remember the size but it was used in Alsace during the winters, with no remembered problems in the snow. I first used X M+S 100 on all four wheels after massive under steer from the XAS fronts put the Peugeot 604 through some barbed wire and into a small ditch.

The thing is tyres were much narrower back in the day and so they handled the snow a lot better.

Im in the camp that when the weather is that bad, i wont drive... Id anticipate only 2 or 3 days max in a year like this.

That said, I got some part worn winter tyres for the 300TE from ebay at a bargain price so will try them out!

The thing is tyres were much narrower back in the day and so they handled the snow a lot better.

I think that's only half the story, I've got a Renault Kangoo, FWD & 165 section tyres, yet hopeless in the snow.
The tyre tread bears no resemblence to the tyres from years ago, not one sipe in the tread for a start , so narrower tyres can't be the complete answer. Tread pattern sipes & compounds must make as much difference.

Russ

Cars didnt have the torque of todays cars either... a diesel today has so much low down power that the wheels dont have a chance to grip..

I think that's only half the story, I've got a Renault Kangoo, FWD & 165 section tyres, yet hopeless in the snow.

Weight is also an issue I suspect.

Family car such as a Cortina was well under a tonne back in the 60s.

Cars didnt have the torque of todays cars either... a diesel today has so much low down power that the wheels dont have a chance to grip..

We were surprised by the manual diesel FWD cars that got stuck last December.

I think it's very hard to put down the power gently enough with a modern diesel saloon -- combined with the amount of mass to get moving.

All good points, torque & weight all play a part too.

Russ

Our Audi A4 estate (diesel, FWD) was OK in the snow ... it's an automatic though, which may help.

Weight is also an issue I suspect.

Family car such as a Cortina was well under a tonne back in the 60s.

I remember my dad putting 2 x 56lb in his boot to aid traction in a Mk3 Cortina when he was a sales rep covering the North of England. He always took a shovel and a flask of tea as well. As for me I'm self employed, if I don't turn up at work I don't get paid, it seems a great incentive to make it in. Whereas those who are employed seem to just think of it as a freebie day off, I'm on the side of snow tyres, a shovel and a sleeping bag as a minimum with rear wheel drive.

I do think car manufacturers should sell cars with all season tyres in this country as standard though.

I remember my dad putting 2 x 56lb in his boot to aid traction in a Mk3 Cortina when he was a sales rep covering the North of England.

I remember doing the same in an old company Sierra. Not because of snow just that the back end was so light, even a little bit of summer rain was enough to have the back end out (these were the days before ABS and traction control)

I remember doing the same in an old company Sierra. Not because of snow just that the back end was so light, even a little bit of summer rain was enough to have the back end out (these were the days before ABS and traction control)

My dad only did this during wintry conditions ie. snow / ice that was as well as the boot being full of samples etc.:)

Also keep a full tank of fuel.......a full 80 litre petrol tank adds 57kg and for diesel 67kg to the rear end weight.

David

Also keep a full tank of fuel.......a full 80 litre petrol tank adds 57kg and for diesel 67kg to the rear end weight.

My wife was a bit miffed when we went out last winter and I asked her to sit in the back at one point.:devil:

In the car or in the boot?

I'm still alive - so it was the rear seat.

The issue was being treated as ballast and the inference regarding weight.

I'm still alive - so it was the rear seat.

The issue was being treated as ballast and the inference regarding weight.

I knew that....I was being whimsical. :eek:

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom