Snow socks or chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
I am one of those old codgers who drove thousands of miles in winter in the 60's in a Mini, a Morris Issis and a Jensen Interceptor, I always carried snow chains and didn't bother to take them off in snow clear patches, we never did get stuck and pulled many cars out of ditches. That apart, now I think you would be better buying a set of lower priced winter tyres and I have just seen a tyre called a Petlas Snowmaster W651. They are availbale in most sizes but the one I had a quote for was for a 245 X 45 X 17 and this came up at £79.00 incl. vat and dlivery to UK. The link to this tyre on the mytyres website is,
Petlas SNOWMASTER W651 245/45 R17 99V RF - mytyres.co.uk

If that doesn't work just visit www.mytyres.co.uk

Cheers,

Al.

For just under 100-quid Halfords supply the Michelin Composite snow chains, these are not steel but some form of composite maybe carbon fibre so they are kinder to tyres and alloys, even with winter tyres I'm going to keep a set in the back for those roads in villages like where I live where small roads are not gritted. I've yet to hear from anyone who has used them in the UK in anger but there are video clips of them being used on the Continent where is shows a young lady fitting them on in minutes then removing them in less time.

Al.

You're right there about torque! Today I was driving home and leaving a strange roundabout doing maybe 30-mph in a C270 Diesel estate Tiptronic that I thought was a standard car? I was presented with a situation where I had to get a move on so stabbed my foot down a bit harder than I should have done and got instant wheel spin while still on my summer tyres. Even though there was no load in the car at the time this made me realise that if they are going to spin on dry tarmac then there is no way they are not going to cause problems on snow or ice even with the winter setting selected. I'm now wondering more than ever if someone has tinkered with my engine before I bought it as I don't think I've ever had wheel spin while moving before.

Al

Not at all Al!

My 140 bhp Vivaro Van will easily spin it's wheels in this weather on a dry'ish road so your C class Diesel will do no problems.

last year i changed my tyres to a second hand set of winter tyres at £25 each, i didnt get stuck or struggle at all! well worth it for the cash! snow socks are still a must though, and in very icy conditions neither seem to make any difference, but far better than normal tyres! socks are really only good if you get stuck in deep snow! snow spikes are another option.

Not at all Al!

My 140 bhp Vivaro Van will easily spin it's wheels in this weather on a dry'ish road so your C class Diesel will do no problems.
i had a vivaro, top tip....change the tyres to winter tyres, even when the weather is dry they make the world of difference, and they last so much longer. continental are the best, get them second hand and save a fortune! i get my tyres from a german import tyre company as in germany they change from winter to summer tyres quite regular as its against the law to drive on summer tyres in the winter! i pay £25 each fitted.

I bought socks for my 19" rears last year as I could not get snow tyres (I left it too late) and whilst they were really amazing in snow, when they encountered slush they became waterlogged and just spun off at about 30 mph, meaning I had to stop and run back to retreive them, not ideal in the conditions.

So better than nothing but I'd say stick to 20mph only in mixed conditions.

They will get you out of jail for sure but not recomended for long journeys.

Good luck, Colin.

The snow socks that i was going to buy said max speed was 30mph

i had a vivaro, top tip....change the tyres to winter tyres, even when the weather is dry they make the world of difference, and they last so much longer. continental are the best, get them second hand and save a fortune! i get my tyres from a german import tyre company as in germany they change from winter to summer tyres quite regular as its against the law to drive on summer tyres in the winter! i pay £25 each fitted.

Do you have any contact information for the place you get them from????

im not sure of the name, there in woking, in box me your number and i will txt you details tomorrow if you like! also there are a few companys on ebay selling imported tyres. the good thing about buying from these companys is that most of the tyres have 6-7mm tread just make sure there imported or you will end up buying puncture repaired or damadged tyres from scrap yards there good for normal tyes as well, i got some continental 255 35 18 tyres with 7mm tread for £60 the pair

Last edited:
Remember that winter tyres should be replaced when down to 4mm of tread.

They tend to come with as much as 10mm when new however.

Im not sure I like the idea of second hand tyres...not without a thorough prior inspection inside and out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom