So, AMG owners, how’s your Fuel Consumption?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You got it!

A bit annoying but you get used to it.
As Will suggests, you get used to it. If I hit the £99 limit then I take a view on whether it’s worth a second transaction based upon how empty the tank was before refueling.

My wife and I have each had an ML 63 AMG for the last 10 years - and they’re our every purpose cars - so I got used to the £99 limit pretty quickly!

Typically refillling from the warning light is around £120-140 (for Shell VPower), but exceeded £150 when fuel prices were at their peak a few years ago.

If I remember right the most expensive tank of fuel was in Riva del Garda, and cost more than €200 ‼️😳 My choices for super unleaded were somewhat limited.

My personal best MPG in an AMG was 30.X MPG in an a C 32 AMG. It was a one one-off record attempt over several hundred miles, and never repeated.

My personal worst MPG in an AMG was 6.X MPG in the same C 32 AMG. It was a 12 mile journey in very heavy snow, which made for very slow progress.

I’ve had all sorts of body styles, engines and generations, and all seem to manage 13-15 on short journeys, 17-19 in mixed driving, and 19-21 on the motorway.

I mentioned in another thread how the Data Card for my car says that I’ve got the extended 80 litre petrol tank.

It’s not true though.

Petrol light comes on with just under a quarter to go. The most I’ve ever managed to fill, once the petrol light has come on, is 57 litres.

I mentioned in another thread how the Data Card for my car says that I’ve got the extended 80 litre petrol tank.

It’s not true though.

Petrol light comes on with just under a quarter to go. The most I’ve ever managed to fill, once the petrol light has come on, is 57 litres.
That sounds about right for an 80 litre tank to me. A quarter of a tank would be 20 litres, so just under quarter of a tank would be say 15 litres still in the tank

With just under a quarter in the tank (15 litres) and filling with 57 litres takes you to 72 litres, or 80 litres when you account for you gauge being pessimistic by design.

I pay at the till in Shell garages and they do not have a £99 limit. A £125 or so fill up is no problem
The £99 limit is for pre-approved payments using pay at pump or an app. I’m not aware of a limit when paying at the kiosk.

That sounds about right for an 80 litre tank to me. A quarter of a tank would be 20 litres, so just under quarter of a tank would be say 15 litres still in the tank

With just under a quarter in the tank (15 litres) and filling with 57 litres takes you to 72 litres, or 80 litres when you account for you gauge being pessimistic by design.
I think he's got abit mixed up the c63 has a 66ltr tank ,he did well to get 57ltrs in it from 1/4 of a tank ,mine also comes on at just below 1/4 😀

I think he's got abit mixed up the c63 has a 66ltr tank ,he did well to get 57ltrs in it from 1/4 of a tank ,mine also comes on at just below 1/4 😀
Yeah, it seems like a 66 litre tank. Not 80 litres as specified on the Data Card.

I’ve probably averaged 30mpg over 34k miles, seems to be a little worse in winter, high 20s, than when it’s a little warmer. Record is 39mpg on a very sedate run to the coast and back - in danger of arriving at an appointment far too early so backed right off along the motorways

I’ve probably averaged 30mpg over 34k miles, seems to be a little worse in winter, high 20s, than when it’s a little warmer. Record is 39mpg on a very sedate run to the coast and back - in danger of arriving at an appointment far too early so backed right off along the motorways
That's impressively high! What model/ engine... can't see in your signature?

That's impressively high! What model/ engine... can't see in your signature?
Does say in my profile though - CLA45SB 😎

to be fair, I don’t drive everywhere like I’m on a qualifying lap, but neither do I hold up traffic outside of urban limits

Does say in my profile though - CLA45SB 😎

to be fair, I don’t drive everywhere like I’m on a qualifying lap, but neither do I hold up traffic outside of urban limits
I obviously don't know how to look properly 🙄

Apologies, I only log in though an iPad, profile information is visible. Didn’t occur to be it wouldn’t be on other platforms

why even bother??
life is too short to drive an AMG but think about MPG??
Because its actually pretty handy on a long journey to work out where you might need to fill up so you don't get caught out, also I find it useful to know what I spend on fuel.

No idea why some people have this ridiculous notion that when you buy an AMG/any serious performance car, you suddenly develop a 'couldn't care less' attitude about money.......not how it works.

Its not a couldn't care less situation at all you don't buy 1 of these type of car then ask what mpg it does ,common sence tells you a v8 isn't going to do 50mpg🤔

Getting around 19/20 mpg average at minute on my e63. I don't give it a second thought. My other car is a 4.2 daimler so I'm used to it plus I've got a van for work.

I wouldn't say my e63s warns me at a quarter, but certainly earlier than other cars. I was surprised before that given it has an 80L tank, that I only fit like 65 or 70 liters in when the warning popped up.

But to be honest, having a 4L Bi-Turbo I wouldn't want to get warned 'short notice' - especially not if you run at 13mpg ... I drove to Germany once and in the Netherlands I struggled to find an open petrol station in the middle of the night so I was glad I had a long range (wasn't my AMG). After that I always took a 5L reserve with me.

Now with the AMG - I'd be quite anxious if I were to get a warning because there is a good chance you won't make it :)

Especially at some driving styles around 2am lol .. ..

Which makes me wonder - maybe the petrol gauge is more dynamic ? Based on driving style and remaining distance ? Dunno ...
I find with gas guzzlers you end up knowing and trusting your fuel gauge much more than in smaller cars. I remember leaving Reading once and seeing the reserve light come on and travelled down to London on it because I knew I would have enough capacity to get to my destination. I'm a bit surprised at some of the MPG figures here though, because even driving me S212 really hard in Germany on the autobahn, like over 120mph constantly and having to brake for restrictions and road works, i still managed around 19mpg, when traffic slowed it went up to 28mpg. I always fill up with 98 octane, I don't know if it gets better economy? :rolleyes:

Edit: i forgot to add, i don't think the gauge is deliberately dynamic, but I find it takes a while to move off from 100% but then it it's more constant after that.

I find the c63 w204 is roughly the same as the E92 M3,also the same as the ST 500

Its not a couldn't care less situation at all you don't buy 1 of these type of car then ask what mpg it does ,common sence tells you a v8 isn't going to do 50mpg🤔
I knew what I was getting into when buying a V8, but i'm still interested in what mpg i'll get out of it. As I said, its pretty useful to know how far your car will go and what you can eek out of it if necessary.

My point was that a lot of people who don't (or apparently do) own performance cars, think you're on acid when you mention the fact you're interested in fuel economy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom