SPECS speed cameras and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Whilst reading the 'maniac biker' thread, I was reminded of something which I have contemplated on a few occasions when crawling through SPECS-controlled stretches of road/motorway.

Why do bikes bother to obey the speed limits in these areas?

The SPECS camera system is designed purely to catch cars - bikes are completely immune.

Whilst I do not advocate excessive speed - I always wonder why bikes always seem to adhere to the limits like most of the other traffic in these situations. I hasten to add that I am not anti-bike in any way - quite the opposite in fact.

Anyone care to comment?

I didn't know that. I guess they don't either.

Also, the attitude towards speed has totally changed over the last few years.

The situation described in the maniac biker thread is an example of this. Years ago, that style of riding was seen by very many people as fun or at least funny but very seldom now.

You'll find that biker's aren't all "criminals" (which by definition is someone who breaks the law)...

Additionally,you'll find that even though the camera's take the picture of the front, the police are willing to spend time tracing down people who take the mick and fine them....

M.

Where did I even allude to regarding any bikers as criminals? :dk: To recap:

I hasten to add that I am not anti-bike in any way - quite the opposite in fact.

Actually I was in praise of bikers obeying speed limits in circumstances where they could speed with complete impunity. It was the SPECS system I was having a go at.

If an area is under say 30mph control, and you go through at 45 in a car, you will get a letter in the post. In a bike's case the system has no capability to even register that something was speeding through. How can it? The OCR lists number plates going through, and if the same registration appears at the next checkpoint before x seconds have elapsed, the letter is in the post. As a bonus, the photograph will probably get a good mug-shot of the driver as well.

If someone is going through at 145, then yes, that is a different kettle of fish altogether, and likely to instigate further enquiries.

Hope this clears things up...

Where did I even allude to regarding any bikers as criminals? :dk: To recap:

Why do bikes bother to obey the speed limits in these areas?

My misunderstanding, I thought that by "bother" you implied that speed limits were trivial and not worth obeying...

What I meant was "you'll find that biker's actually follow the law (at times :p)"

M.

While I'm happy for bikers that they have this little 'loophole' , and give respect to the majority who do not abuse it , I have to wonder why the cameras are set up to read front numberplates , when I presume they could just as easily face the other way and read rear ones , like Gatso's etc ?

I have to wonder why the cameras are set up to read front numberplates
To include the driver in the picture, avoiding the 'I wasn't driving the car at the time' arguments.

Derek - I believe this is possibly the reasoning behind front-facing SPECS against the GATSO. Have they been stung for too many 'was it me driving or my missus?' dodge claims? The GATSO photos the rear, which doesn't show who the driver is. A shot from the front usually does, but at the expense of identifying bikes becuase no number plate will show in their case.

Spinal - don't mention it. Glad we're friends again!

I thought the law was that you must disclose who was driving at the time ..

Just saying that you don't know wouldn't have been enough for them to say ' Oh ok , forget it then ' would it ?

I was always under the impression that if you didn't tell them , the registered keeper got the ticket ?

I expect i'm wrong ...

It is an offence not to disclose who the driver was . Even if you genuinely don't know , the registered keeper is prosecuted .

Was it not decided by some Human Rights court somewhere that it was a no-no that they sent you a picture of yourself taken through the windscreen since a couple of cases where the girlfriend had been pictured instead of the wife. :doh:

I know of several couples who have persuaded each other's halves to 'take one for the team' to prevent an outright disqualification or at least an unwelcome accumulation of points.

I believe that practise is widespread - but again only in GATSO-type equipment cases.

I know of several couples who have persuaded each other's halves to 'take one for the team' to prevent an outright disqualification or at least an unwelcome accumulation of points.

I believe that practise is widespread - but again only in GATSO-type equipment cases.

That is a very good way to end up inside. Is it really worth it for £60?

Is it really worth it for £60?
Of course not. But to avoid a ban (under totting up), for some people it's going to be worth the risk. Especially if they rely on a licence for job etc.

The easier way to avoid a ban is.................dare I say it..................don't speed in the first place...............

Is it really worth it for £60?

If you're staring at a job loss or ban then it'll be a damn sight more than £60, and probably well worth the risk!

But in my view, the answer is 'no - it is not worth it'. However it is easy for me to say because I have no points on my licence.

And neither am I part of one of the couples mentioned - before someone puts 2 and 2 together to make 5!

It is an offence not to disclose who the driver was . Even if you genuinely don't know , the registered keeper is prosecuted .
If Swiss Toni was around he would say cue glojo :)

I have NOTHING BUT CONTEMPT for the Hamilton's they treat the law with utter contempt, always have always will.

I am not for a change going to mention Gerald Nabarro

Instead I will mention his secretary..... :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Read the first article and then read the second and then tell me about justice and the fairness of our courts.

Money buys innocence

If you in traffic with Specs camera's a on a bike, it likely you'll be the only one speeding - bit of a give away isnt it. ;-)

Courts of law always give bikers harsher sentences as well.

Take Lord Ahmed vs the Pratt who had his son on the back doing 120 in the wet.

Guess who's sewing mailbags...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom