Speed signal connection for retro fitting Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkBeattie

Almost completed this project (Replacing Audio 10 with Comand & adding CD changer to our 2003 ML270).

Just a quick question on moving the speed signal from the original A Connector to the new C2 Connector for Comand. Does the signal still need to be connected to pin 1 on A, or can I snip the wire (blue) & move it to C2 pin 6 ??

Thanks, Mark.

What unit are you putting in there ?

If you are using a ML unit (starts A163 540 xx xx) then you don't need to change anything - ML units expect speed signal on A1
If you are using an E class unit (A210 540 xx xx), then unless its the earliest can free unit you need a Canbus simulator, and depending on the part number of the comand you may not need to connect the C2 pin 6 at all - so try it and see
If you are using a CLK unit (A208 540 xx xx) then use a scotchlock to extend the signal to C2 pin 6 and have the dealer code the unit up for a W163 and ensure MY01 update is on it - then you may avoid buying the canbus simulator

Richard

The A163 unit should just plug straight into your car and work with no changes required to wiring unless you have a Cd changer. You really are best off with an A163 unit for the ML.

The speed signal only needs to go to C2 pin 6 if you are using an A210 or A208 unit.

Thanks, but now I am more confused. I have an ML Comand part No. A163....... But all the info I have seen, and the excellent article on http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+Retrofit-article-1.html seems to indicate the speed signal needs to be on plug C2, even for an ML unit ?. Thanks, Mark.

Yup , Alfie is right, i'll clarify my article slightly there - I reworded part of that section a couple of weeks ago and its actually now a bit confusing.

- Thanks for your kind comments about my article ! -

Richard

Almost complete, installed & working (almost)

Well, its all installed and works perfectly except.................

On the SYS screen it insists on saying the country is GERMANY ??

The route guidance, maps, info & everything works perfectly, except for this SYS screen which says GERMANY ??. I did buy the Comand unit from a German seller on ebay. Any ideas how to get the country to UK on the SYS screen ??

Thanks, Mark.

Well, its all installed and works perfectly except.................

On the SYS screen it insists on saying the country is GERMANY ??

The route guidance, maps, info & everything works perfectly, except for this SYS screen which says GERMANY ??. I did buy the Comand unit from a German seller on ebay. Any ideas how to get the country to UK on the SYS screen ??

Thanks, Mark.

Yes. Press SYS the set time. At the bottom you can set the country time. Select UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom