Tailpipe Chrome Cleaner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlewimp

Car
2005 E55 AMG
Just trying to clean the tailpipes on my E 55 amg and I'm not having much success, so I'm just wandering what comes recommended, there's no signs of any rust but I cant seem to get through the tarnish and tbh they look far better on the underside.

Loads of previous threads on this, some very recent. Do a quick search and you'll find lots of advice.

I used one of those small wire attachments on a drill to clean off the worst of the carbon buildup when I first got my MB.

Then I got to work using A̶n̶u̶s̶o̶l̶ Autosol with wet and dry paper and they came up well.
Keep them clean every time you wash the car and you'll only need to do that once.

Last edited:
I cleaned mine just last week. I used an oven cleaner (the one you leave in a bag for 4 to 6 hours) from Poundland. I left it overnight because I don't think it had been cleaned in it's 5 year lifespan.
That cleaned the majority of the hard to move stuff and then finished off with a metal polish and 0000 grade wire wool. No hard graft involved.
That was for a stainless steel tail pipe and it came up as new [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Initially I used a chisel to remove the baked on stuff. Now with a prepared smooth surface, I only use R222 metal polishing soap to clean and FK1000P to protect.

Last edited:
Brillo pad! Best for cleaning chrome or failing that wire wool but the Brillo has some soap to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom