• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tell me about owning a Range Rover..

It's a pretty thing. Interior totally impractical for the likes of me. I like the dark walnut.
Typical car salesman - does a walkaround, keeps mentioning it needs valeting whilst completely ignoring the gouged nsr arch !!!
I'll be driving past there two or three times tomorrow as it happens.

Stornaway Grey with Ivory for me.

I don't mind the Epsom Green, and quite like the Buckingham Blue as well with a light interior.

The only colour I wouldn't want is black leather interior, apart from that quite like them all.

Might have been wrong about the Stornaway Grey being the gentlemens choice ^^

Also keep in mind that, obviously dependant on how long you keep it, the Epsom green isn't the most desirable of Range Rover colours but it is a personal thing.

I think it looks rather good in that green. If I were to buy one, I certainly wouldn't want a black or white one.

The colours are definitely a generational thing; my dad thinks an Aston Martin should only be in green or silver, I prefer black.

From my time on the RRS forum, the gentlemens choice seems to be Stornaway Grey.

It's a pretty thing. Interior totally impractical for the likes of me. I like the dark walnut.

Stornaway Grey with Ivory for me.

I don't mind the Epsom Green, and quite like the Buckingham Blue as well with a light interior.

The only colour I wouldn't want is black leather interior, apart from that quite like them all.

@SPX I hear what you are saying regarding popularity of paint colour. Many, many years before it became popular, I always bought white cars and took the hit come sale time. Now, I refuse to buy a white car new because I can't bring myself to pay the premium that some ask for just because it is white! :wallbash:

The colour options are limited to what is available, unfortunately.
There are currently only three SC FFRR L322s for sale in the dealer network. Out of preference, I would prefer a darker interior but it's not a game changer. Neither is the exterior colour for that matter; as long as it is a pleasing combination.

It won't be ready for viewing until next week but if it doesn't grip my knickers or I am unhappy with the condition/whatever, I am prepared to walk away.

EDIT: I mentioned the same damage you guys noted and he was impressed that I had noticed it :eek: I hope that isn't an omen indicative of their general standards otherwise I may as well say with MB.

Last edited:
@SPX I hear what you are saying regarding popularity of paint colour. Many, many years before it became popular, I always bought white cars and took the hit come sale time. Now, I refuse to buy a white car new because I can't bring myself to pay the premium that some ask for just because it is white! :wallbash:

The colour options are limited to what is available, unfortunately.
There are currently only three SC FFRR L322s for sale in the dealer network. Out of preference, I would prefer a darker interior but it's not a game changer. Neither is the exterior colour for that matter; as long as it is a pleasing combination.

It won't be ready for viewing until next week but if it doesn't grip my knickers or I am unhappy with the condition/whatever, I am prepared to walk away.

EDIT: I mentioned the same damage you guys noted and he was impressed that I had noticed it :eek: I hope that isn't an omen indicative of their general standards otherwise I may as well say with MB.

I rest my case......
And there's me worried about the presentation of a £2k Jeep !!!!

I've always been baffled as to why car traders, especially high end main dealers, would show a potential customer a vehicle without any prep; I think it takes the shine off of the purchase somewhat.

My experience of LR dealers is that they're used to dealing with demanding, high net-worth individuals so don't be afraid to tell them what you're thinking if there's something (you think) amiss.

Funny that. If you had been trading it in, I imagine he'd have spotted it straight away.

:rolleyes:

Make sure you get a good discount on that one, as SPX already mentioned green is not easiest of colours to shift come resale time.

Range Rovers are a proper love affair. What I mean by that is when they work they are brilliant when they don't you will end up cursing them constantly!

To be fair having had a P38 and L322 I can confirm this. If you are handy with a spanner then they are cheap to fix really as there are so many places you can buy parts from. For example rear discs and pads on our L322 cost lest then £80 in parts. Although they are complex in terms of electronics they are really simple cars to work on I found although my neighbours used to laugh as the bonnet was generally up on most weekends when owning the L322.

We used our FFRR (L322) to tow the horse go off roading and the occasional kerb mounting it was the mrs car and she loved it. In town it is useless turning circle of the QE2 and not the easiest thing to navigate around narrow streets or car parks but the fact you can see all 4 corners does make it easier then it could be. I found whenever driving it you get that sense of get out of my way peasant feel about it but I do believe it was painted in invisible paint as the amount of people that would cut you up or try and run you off the road was quite funny.

In terms of running costs fuel is by far the worst we were getting 11-12mpg out of ours around town and up to 22mpg on a run. But it was a V8 petrol and weighing in at over 2.5 tonnes they are rubbish on the go go juice.

Offroad wise the L322 is brilliant used to love taking it into the muddy stuff and was very impressive on road tyres. The nice thing about offroading in a RR is that it is comfortable.

In terms of what goes wrong with them its easier to say what works really hahahahaha.

They leak coolant, they rust from the inside out particularly tailgates and rear arches, they leak water into the interior at the front screen and into the rear quarter where all the electrics are, Gearboxes/front diff are known weak areas just change the oil regularly. Suspension knocking is common, electrical gremlins are constant its well worth investing £100 in a diagnostic bit of software to shut things up. There are some brilliant L322 guides but essentially you need to be mega picky!

It doesn't matter if it has the most glowing history in the world it will go wrong its a Land Rover that's what they do and steer clear from Land Rover for any work as they are rip off merchants. Think of job add a few hundred ££££ on top and you may get close to the LR quoted price. Our Land Rover needed to have the valley pan gasket replaced to stop a coolant leak quoted price at Land Rover was £2800 for the work I did it for £400 in parts and a weekend.

Would I own another one is the question? Absolutely in a heart beat, despite being massively flawed, over priced in terms of general build quality. When it works they are the best cars going.

The other thing to consider is no matter whether you have an X5, ML, Q7, Cayenne etc.....

None of them have that name or the badge Range Rover.

Last edited:
^ Very nicely summed up. Thank you.

I love that green and ivory combo , Always wanted a FFRR , nearest I ever got was a DiscoveryTDI in Niagra grey which was rather a tank .
Hope you get what your after GVM. :thumb:

^ That is beautiful. Bet was a wrench letting it go. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

Now, I'm off for another search session…may even consider a TDV8 now but won't compromise on the Autobiography bit, unless some punter bought a Vogue and ticked all the option boxes.

…or do you have another large 4x4 recommendation? Dependant on cost, it could be new or second hand but I will buy as new as I can afford…nothing older than say four or five years old.

In a nutshell, a Range Rover has been my Top Trump number one vehicle for about forty years but have always shied away because of either the purchase price (at the time) or serving costs or reliability issues. Has anything changed with the later (up to 2013 model) Range Rovers reliability wise? Are they still hideously expensive to service and parts wise? I have seen 2012/2012 Autobiography versions going for a lot less than £50k from LR Dealerships.

I'm not worried about the purchase price or fuel economy but reliability woes and parts/servicing prices are making me a little wary…I would prefer not to have to do servicing or repairs myself.

Other 4x4s I have considered is the V8 Landcruiser (discounted because the wife thinks it is physically too big), the Discovery 4 HSE (seems promising except for the same LR reliability and cost woes), Shogun (seems a little old hat and cramped inside), the Landcruiser (four cylinder- really don't like the front end looks).

I/we aren't interested in a soft roader and it has to have an automatic gearbox which discounts the Defender unless I convert one…the other issue with the Defender is that as much as I adore them, I don't think they are worth the money, same as the G-Wagen.

Should a late model ML be on my list? What are they like for reliability and running costs (servicing and parts)?

Any and all driving and owning experiences will be welcomed gratefully received; as always, the problem is separating what is in effect rumours (or oft repeated lore about a friend of a friend) from actual real life experience when trying to research these things.

I've had one FFRR V8, and two S/C's. I'd say if fuel economy is really not an issue, without a shadow of doubt, the Supercharged, all day long. It makes me pine just to think of it. Every car I've owned ever since, has been 'just a car'. The Full Fat Supercharged is really something else.

It's amazingly practical too, parking is amazingly easy, incredible turning circle, and the standard of interior, and specification is fantastic. Surprisingly little legroom for adults though, if you're a tall driver!

If it's always topped your list, then just go for it man! Forget about the rest, I'm sure they're all nice cars, but you won't feel that the Range Rover is another 'nice car' it goes beyond that.

Personally apart from the first V8 I bought, which was a real lemon which I was stupid to buy, I had no problems apart from the previously mentioned gearbox issue. To avoid it, just get the megaflush done. I think it's fairly typical 'sealed for life' means the life of the warranty!

To summarise: even if the Range Rover was as unreliable as some people say, it would still be fantastic. Reality is it's no worse, possibly better than a lot of Mercs, reliability wise. Also, at a few years old, it's incredibly good value, primarily because so many people are afraid of it!

P.s. I suspect the difference between Autobiography and Supercharged spec is minimal, on the basis that I can't think of much that you could add to the S/C spec, unless there was another reason for wanting the Autobiography?

^
I posted some questions on the FFRR site and following his replies, I had a look at his website and those cars and was impressed with the presentation of the cars.

Out of preference though, I would prefer a 2011 or 2012 5.0 s/c AB but could be tempted by a TDV8 AB but as I understand it, if I buy from a LR main dealer, it would come with a two year warranty if less than five years old.

When I first started buying MBs, I couldn't contemplate buying without a warranty. Now I could but the same applies to a FFRR; until I am comfortable, I would want the safety blanket. Thanks for the shout though.

^^^ That is the correct approach. I would try to buy from the main dealer as our 1 year LR warranty has covered some of the wear and tear items too. It was more of a goodwill gesture but it was nice (e.g. broken dashboard side vents). There was a couple of things that showed themselves only in the winter (driver's wing mirror not defrosting, seat pad not heating), a tiny rear diff leak, two injectors, one EGR valve and a few days worth of trying to ID the vibration in the engine/gearbox I mentioned earlier.

After much soul searching, sanity has prevailed and I have told the dealer that I am not interested in this https://video.citnow.com/vt1hkwyXtRT . Although it has full dealer history and two owners (the first was LR and it was a demo vehicle), I have too many concerns.

That and the fact it doesn't stand comparison to a one owner, lesser mileage example of the same age price wise. All I have to do is weigh up whether I should make the trip up to Pickering (near Scarborough) or wait for something to come up at a more local dealer.

I wish I hadent started following this post GVM, have found myself searching for a FFRR and falling in love with the cars all over again. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom