• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Tell me about owning a Range Rover..

Rory said:
There's an infamous youtube clip of one being pulled off the muddy car park by a tractor at Silverstone the year it rained a bit.

A lot is down to the tyre choice.

(Hey, that sounds like F1)

My ML on road tyres was completely outclassed by a friend's LR defender on chunky M&S rubber. But on those tyres, his is absolutely awful on the motorway!

It must have had winter tyres on as there are plenty of Youtube video's showing how useless the RR is on ice and snow on regular tyres even on a flat surface.
Any 4x4 is only as good as it's tyres. Take any 4x4 off road or in ice and snow on standard road tyres and you'll get the same result, its all about tyres. Technique comes into play once you can put the power down.

camerafodder said:
Any 4x4 is only as good as it's tyres. Take any 4x4 off road or in ice and snow on standard road tyres and you'll get the same result, its all about tyres. Technique comes into play once you can put the power down.

Pretty much. I had 22" wheels on mine and I hated them. Took them straight off with the silly little tyres. Get a set with 20 or upgrade to the new 21" with 275/45/21 which has a nice side wall and get m+s contis. Best all rounder.

Did someone really just compare a tractors capability to a Range Rover? :doh:

I have yearned for a RR for about forty years but it was never the right time for one reason or another. The ONLY thing holding me back is concerns over reliability. I would hope that a three/four year old L322, being at the end of it's model life, would be pretty much sorted but it is difficult to sort true life experiences from 'Chinese whisper' apocryphal tales. My abiding memory of Land Rover products (I owned a defender for nine years and followed the marque closely) is of poor build quality, hit and miss reliability and questionable customer service.

It is a huge step commitment wise to buy something like a S/C RR (FFRR), hence why my slight hesitation. Members on hear have been very helpful with their experiences and it is a matter of overcoming my worries relating to reliability….having made such a financial commitment, I would really prefer to be able to keep my dream car for several years.

I/we will take a trip out to a dealer very soon and have a look….I really hope the overall dimensions don't put my wife off (pauses for a snigger) because I have told her a blatant man maths white lie…I know the RR is slightly larger than a Toyota Land Cruiser V8 (which she thinks is too big) but I have convinced her the RR is only slightly longer than her old Saab estate and shorter than my old Saab estate (9-3 & 9-5).:o :D

If your wife is going to drive it too, you are going to have a hard time justifying it's size. Unfortunately, with the L322 onwards the footprint increased substantially, without much additional benefit with the interior. Good for sales in US, China etc. But not ideal for day to day driving in UK, especially if you venture into car parks and narrow streets.

Also it size intimidates other drivers and being the same distance off the rear bumper in the city or motorway as you would be in a normal car appears to incite aggressive braking to full blown road rage.

Personally, I really like RR's and I have had 4 from new, but stopped at the 2nd gen L322 when McGovern started to really chintz them up and they became the de facto purchase for footballers and their WAG's. No idea how they hold their prices now, but for me they no longer delivered on the premium of burning through £40K in a few years of driving them. Moved to a 4x4 estate when we still needed the occasional off road and towing, now to an eclass estate as we still need the space. We moved into the city 5 years ago, which influences this, and living here there's no benefit from the lofty driving position on country lanes and wading through the floods that used to be a benefit. ;)

If you need to get very the RR itch, get a classic in really good condition, when you have the space. Obviously won't fit the daily driver requirement, but equally you won't lose a wad of cash if you decide it's not for you. :)

cheers, Steve

...MB or their dealers will not get another penny from us.

I am sorry to say this at all and sorry to have to say it, in this place of all places but it is how we feel.

Don't know why you would be sorry about it. Your opinion is by no means unique on here from what I've read on here previously - many times!

It must have had winter tyres on as there are plenty of Youtube video's showing how useless the RR is on ice and snow on regular tyres even on a flat surface.

May well have done - he does own a farm so it does get off-roaded as well.

If your wife is going to drive it too, you are going to have a hard time justifying it's size. Unfortunately, with the L322 onwards the footprint increased substantially, without much additional benefit with the interior. Good for sales in US, China etc. But not ideal for day to day driving in UK, especially if you venture into car parks and narrow streets.

Also it size intimidates other drivers and being the same distance off the rear bumper in the city or motorway as you would be in a normal car appears to incite aggressive braking to full blown road rage.

Personally, I really like RR's and I have had 4 from new, but stopped at the 2nd gen L322 when McGovern started to really chintz them up and they became the de facto purchase for footballers and their WAG's. No idea how they hold their prices now, but for me they no longer delivered on the premium of burning through £40K in a few years of driving them. Moved to a 4x4 estate when we still needed the occasional off road and towing, now to an eclass estate as we still need the space. We moved into the city 5 years ago, which influences this, and living here there's no benefit from the lofty driving position on country lanes and wading through the floods that used to be a benefit. ;)

If you need to get very the RR itch, get a classic in really good condition, when you have the space. Obviously won't fit the daily driver requirement, but equally you won't lose a wad of cash if you decide it's not for you. :)

cheers, Steve

You make a lots of sense there, Steve. I have tried hard to find (justify) a way to have a Classic but I would always be concerned about reliability; the benefit of the modern car is that you can pretty much get in and drive as far or as often as you want. I carried lots of tools and spares when I had the Defender and I just know I would have to to do the same with a Classic.

We'll see about the size thing (snigger). We are going to visit a dealer soon so my wife can test drive one….this could be a dream realised. Or not.

Last edited:
You make a lots of sense there, Steve. I have tried hard to find (justify) a way to have a Classic

I saw a mint classic on Saturday, guy driving it looked far from skint, something to be said for old RRs, and there's a massive knowledge base and spares base for them, would have to be a V8 though.

I saw a mint classic on Saturday, guy driving it looked far from skint, something to be said for old RRs, and there's a massive knowledge base and spares base for them, would have to be a V8 though.

The exact same thought has been running though my head for a while now.

I love the original RR and in ideal circumstances I would go for one of them in a heartbeat. They were pretty much sorted by the end of the production run (1996) but even then they didn't enjoy reputation for build quality or reliability and having a Sunday and fun day car is not me.

I have to be able to get in drive wherever and whenever it takes my fancy without carting lots of tools and spare parts or wondering what might go wrong next which is the price of using a twenty something year old BLMC/LMC/BA product.

I only just fit in a standard RR Classic headroom wise and anything with a sunroof is a definite no go. When I sell the Vito and the SL, I will re-assess.

It just seems logical to buy as new and as warrantied as I could…I did the 'running old made-in-the-UK cars thing' for many years and it is okay if they are a second vehicle (from my point of view) but I also want to go down to one vehicle for everything rather than a vehicle per purpose, if that makes sense.

My perfect three car garage would be a pristine but modernised Classic RR, a brand new FFRR and a modernised Jensen Interceptor….the trend for modernity is obvious, I think and I blame the years with an old Defender for that!

Sorry, I don't understand. Rated better or worse?

You'll get all the usual reports that you would when asking for opinion on MB dealers. Some are good, some are bad. Some indies are good, others awful. All par for the course stuff and as always a good owners website will deliver a balanced view. I can recommend fullfatrr.com - Index.

We have a late td6. This means we get the touchscreen radio, but not the redesigned centre console. Have a yearning for a TDv8.

Had it for 20 months or so, and touch wood only 2 bills - one a fuel pump that I expected and the other after my wife fed it Petrol... (not a good thing).

As others have said, handling rewards smooth driving (you can still push on, just do it smoothly). With the TD6 pushing your right foot down increases engine speed and thirst, with minimal effect on speed.

We've seen no proper snow since getting ours, but it's handled what little off-road stuff I've chucked at it well. We deliberately hunted a non-chaved Vogue (not even tinted windows) and in my view it looks better for it.

I'll find it difficult to buy anything else to replace it.

Thanks for the recommend. I joined up last night and am perusing the site for, well, insight. I should be easy to spot on there :D

That's not you is it? The new member who posted a picture of himself in a gimpsuit?? :eek:

:D

I keep looking at FFRR at the moment, trying to decide on a 2007 3.6 TDV8 model for £12k with 90k miles on it and pay for it, or get into a 4.4 TDV8 2011 model for £26k and finance it.

There simply isn't anything from Mercedes that I want at the moment, I will keep the C320 estate, but want a second car that feels special.

That's not you is it? The new member who posted a picture of himself in a gimpsuit?? :eek:

:D

I keep looking at FFRR at the moment, trying to decide on a 2007 3.6 TDV8 model for £12k with 90k miles on it and pay for it, or get into a 4.4 TDV8 2011 model for £26k and finance it.

There simply isn't anything from Mercedes that I want at the moment, I will keep the C320 estate, but want a second car that feels special.

No gimpsuits were harmed in the making of that picture.

Only guessing but I would imagine the 2007 will not lose much money so you could run it for a year and it not depreciate much compared to the 2011. I don't know if the 2011 model is intrinsically better than the 2007…I am aiming for a late L322, so 2012 model but supercharged…I want to feel REALLY special!;)

Interesting that you went with a N/A petrol SL and going with a supercharged RR. I would do the exact opposite. Our next family bus is very likely to be another RR but definitely with a petrol engine this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom