• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Terminal Velocity Part Deux

Craig bettered himself to 194 after a head to head with Chris - and went into the shrubbery again. Must practise braking next time! Third fastest on the day so well done Craig :-)

Well done all. Sounds like a great day! I look forward to doing one in the future.

Oops!

You're right about the estate vs saloon aero. You're probably .02 or .03 worse on cd which is pretty significant at "elevated" speeds.

From a quick search the saloon might be 0.23 and the estate 0.31 which is a pretty big difference.

Sounds like a great day. I can't wait for Marty's post-event production experience.

I don't feel so bad about 179mph at TV1 now (which I reckon I could beat slightly)... :bannana:

From a quick search the saloon might be 0.23 and the estate 0.31 which is a pretty big difference.
The saloon W212 is a very low drag design, with 0.24 claimed for the base models. Googling around and picking something with bigger tyres, the closest to the E63 that I can find is the E500 which in saloon form has a quoted cd of 0.28 and in estate 0.31 - which is about what I thought.

The saloon W212 is a very low drag design, with 0.24 claimed for the base models. Googling around and picking something with bigger tyres, the closest to the E63 that I can find is the E500 which in saloon form has a quoted cd of 0.28 and in estate 0.31 - which is about what I thought.

Ah well done for finding that, I was losing the will to live digging that out. 0.3 difference must equal a few mph over 180mph. :wallbash:

*Mental note, make the next E63 a saloon* :D:D

Sounds like a great day. I can't wait for Marty's post-event production experience.

I don't feel so bad about 179mph at TV1 now (which I reckon I could beat slightly)... :bannana:

179mph is a result. As I mentioned in a previous post that climate can have a huge affect and easily nullify any expensive mods. Today we had a 3/4 cross/head wind.

Great day! I'm seriously burnt :)

Can't believe that supra..... It looked so 'standard'

Looking forward to the next one

Great day out guys, really enjoyed it. Over the moon with hitting 194mph, if the runway was truly 1.5 miles I think the 200mph could have been broken.

I still haven't got the hand of the breaking, was into the shrubbery every time. SteMax captured this well when I was racing Chris and his laughter.

Car was amazing, pulled like a train, IATs consistently low so that's a credit to MSL and co.

Bring on VMax with a slightly longer runway hoping that 200 will finally topple.

The boy done good Craig - 194mph on that strip is ace :thumb:,

ps - it's braking :crazy:.

Great day out guys, really enjoyed it. Over the moon with hitting 194mph, if the runway was truly 1.5 miles I think the 200mph could have been broken.

I still haven't got the hand of the breaking, was into the shrubbery every time. SteMax captured this well when I was racing Chris and his laughter.

Car was amazing, pulled like a train, IATs consistently low so that's a credit to MSL and co.

Bring on VMax with a slightly longer runway hoping that 200 will finally topple.

certainly is a rapid beast I went up against it in a standard e55 to see how much difference there would be as I am tempted to get one of these or a tuned e63 bi turbo and there was a massive difference ,I think I was level with it for the first 20 yards lol

Peter DLM said:
Ah well done for finding that, I was losing the will to live digging that out. 0.3 difference must equal a few mph over 180mph. :wallbash: *Mental note, make the next E63 a saloon* :D:D
.03 difference = 10% more power needed over the saloon for the same speed in pure aero terms. That's a lot!

What a great day, this event reminds me of the early vmax days.

I spent some time at the timing beams and I've got to say that the noise your 63's produce at 180mph is rather pleasing to the ear when your stood 6m away:D and I also noticed the runway is not quite long enough for braking :D but even then they still sound nice dropping gears and cracking and popping under hard braking :thumb:

Good to briefly see the regulars and sorry Benjy I got back too late and missed you.

And Acid I followed you all the way to the A14 cross country in my van....the A45 sounds great :thumb: and when you got to the A14 slip road and dropped 2 gears it sounded even better :cool:

A run from inside my car. This wasn't my best launch, I ditched the race start after this and went old school by loading the clutches against the brakes before flooring it as I let the brakes out.

http://youtu.be/Xz3ce1NxZmI

Ha, it got a few comments. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom