• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

The Mirai tank is made of carbon fibre (the usual figure quoted for its weight is 95kg).

It's 87.5 kg according to Toyota (who should know):

1726239066487.png

Steel tanks can take 350 bar (if the bus had a carbon fibre tank it wouldn't restrict storage pressure to 350 bar). Industrial gas bottles weigh 100kg for every 1kg of contained hydrogen - but I concede that might be at 175 bar - in which case the tare could be a bit lighter at 350 bar. But that would also depend on how much heavier a tank has to be to resist 350 vs 175 bar. The point remains, the tare weight of tanks will always be high and, the limitation on possible shape makes them hard to package. Expect cars to get even bigger and heavier if steel tanks for hydrogen are to be used. Or swallow the (extortionate) cost of carbon fibre tanks.

Nobody is going to fit production road vehicles with off the shelf industrial gas bottles, so the weight of those is academic. As mentioned the main focus for hydrogen fuel cells is larger commercial vehicles, and neither packaging nor weight have been an issue on those so far. With regard to carbon fibre tanks being 'extortionate', Toyota, Hyundai and BMW are all using them now so I'm sure they would be an option for larger (and much more expensive) vehicles too if weight was critical.

The hydrogen fuel cell version of Vauxhall's Vivaro van has a 249 mile range and 3 minute refill time. I don't know what the tanks (mounted under the floor) are made of, but the payload is 1000 kg ... only 400 kg less than the diesel version (and the load volume is only 0.5 cubic metres smaller). Sounds like a reasonably practical proposition if you want/have to be zero emission and your usage pattern isn't a good fit for battery power.

It's 87.5 kg according to Toyota (who should know):

Nobody is going to fit production road vehicles with off the shelf industrial gas bottles, so the weight of those is academic. As mentioned the main focus for hydrogen fuel cells is larger commercial vehicles, and neither packaging nor weight have been an issue on those so far. With regard to carbon fibre tanks being 'extortionate', Toyota, Hyundai and BMW are all using them now so I'm sure they would be an option for larger (and much more expensive) vehicles too if weight was critical.
Autocar quoted 95kg - in the road test of the Mirai. They also said that Toyota were subsidising the already expensive Mirai to the tune of £30,000. Even if they are out as per the tank weight by 8.6%, that still sets the subsidy at £27k.
Given the massive weight savings and incredible strength of carbon fibre, it's about time we asked why it isn't used widely for chassis construction. Might it be cost related?
The hydrogen fuel cell version of Vauxhall's Vivaro van has a 249 mile range and 3 minute refill time. I don't know what the tanks (mounted under the floor) are made of, but the payload is 1000 kg ... only 400 kg less than the diesel version (and the load volume is only 0.5 cubic metres smaller).
30% loss of payload and a range - although refuelling is rapid - that is poor. And will only work if refuelling stations are copious in numbers. Start detouring for fuel and the range gets wasted pretty quickly.
Sounds like a reasonably practical proposition if you want/have to be zero emission and your usage pattern isn't a good fit for battery power.
It might just work around-the-doors but has it got any advantage over electric other than its 3min refuel time (how long to find a refuelling point?)? Can't see it doing serious daily mileages. Or scaling up successfully.

Autocar quoted 95kg - in the road test of the Mirai.

I couldn't see that mentioned in any of the gen 2 Mirai reviews they have online. But they'd hardly have pulled a tank out to weigh - as mentioned I would personally take Toyota's figure, given that they actually make it.

They also said that Toyota were subsidising the already expensive Mirai to the tune of £30,000. Even if they are out as per the tank weight by 8.6%, that still sets the subsidy at £27k.
Given the massive weight savings and incredible strength of carbon fibre, it's about time we asked why it isn't used widely for chassis construction. Might it be cost related?

For sure building in CF can be more expensive than steel, but BMW did manage to make 250,000 i3 EVs (with a carbon tub and body) without going bust so I don't believe making a relatively small and simple structure like a tank would render a car uneconomic to build. As mentioned BMW and Hyundai are also using CF tanks now - I seriously doubt they plan to make a loss on every car.

a range - although refuelling is rapid - that is poor.

Not compared to a BEV, which is the only other zero emission option.

And will only work if refuelling stations are copious in numbers.

Yes if you're following different/unpredictable routes. But TFL have run hydrogen buses in London for many years with a single fuelling point because (AFAIK) they only need filling once a day.

has it got any advantage over electric other than its 3min refuel time

Apart from the longer range you mean? The main one is that the range doesn't drop like a lead balloon when the weather gets a bit nippy. Not only does the fuel cell efficiency remain about the same, but it also produces waste heat that can be used to warm the vehicle up without consuming further power (just like an ICE). In something like a bus this is a big deal in cold weather as you have a huge space to maintain at a comfortable temperature for all the passengers.

Can't see it doing serious daily mileages. Or scaling up successfully.

From a quick Google there are already over 5,600 hydrogen fuel cell buses in service. Early days yet, but companies like Wrightbus (to pick one) seem to be doing OK with them now:

1726250364712.png

1726250447289.png

80% increase in Mercedes EV range anyone?

'Aiming to bring them to the market by the end of the decade', so some way off assuming everything works out.

There have been a few new articles about solid state batteries recently - I read one this week which went into the downsides in more detail ... from memory they need more Lithium to produce, are more prone to degradation with use (particularly if fast charged), and are harder to recycle. I'll try and find it.

There have been a few new articles about solid state batteries recently - I read one this week which went into the downsides in more detail ... from memory they need more Lithium to produce, are more prone to degradation with use (particularly if fast charged), and are harder to recycle. I'll try and find it.

Here you go. MG are claiming they will have solid state batteries in use by next year:

"Toyota signed a manufacturing deal to commercialize its technology by 2028, which could eventually achieve over 900 miles of range. Honda is also working on them in its Tokyo-based lab, with plans to launch a vehicle with a solid-state battery in the latter part of the decade. Nearly all major EV brands are conducting similar research, such as Mercedes, Volkswagen, and China-based Nio."

I couldn't see that mentioned in any of the gen 2 Mirai reviews they have online. But they'd hardly have pulled a tank out to weigh - as mentioned I would personally take Toyota's figure, given that they actually make it.
Autocar too would have been quoting a figure given to them by Toyota. Either, the tank is now made lighter or, the figure supplied to Autocar included the valve.

For sure building in CF can be more expensive than steel, but BMW did manage to make 250,000 i3 EVs (with a carbon tub and body) without going bust so I don't believe making a relatively small and simple structure like a tank would render a car uneconomic to build. As mentioned BMW and Hyundai are also using CF tanks now - I seriously doubt they plan to make a loss on every car.
That's not what the i3 is made of. Only the body is carbon based. The chassis is aluminium. Again, if carbon fibre was affordable, why not for the chassis too?
I suspect you underestimate the task of a ''simple structure like a tank''. 700 bar is 10,290 psi. Like holding back four and a half tons with half of your thumb. The tensile stress in the tank walls is enormous and if any part of the tank is weakened (by accident) than the release of that stress energy backed by the expanding from 700 bar hydrogen is explosive. The explosive risk from that is such that the hydrogen need not ignite for the consequences to be fatal. You might want to consider the storage medium at refuelling stations WRT to materials used, cost, and danger to public re the explosive risk where storage has to be way in excess of that of a single vehicle.

Not compared to a BEV, which is the only other zero emission option.
This predicated by your original assertion that the van operator wants to be emission free. Debatable when the legislation is considered.

Yes if you're following different/unpredictable routes. But TFL have run hydrogen buses in London for many years with a single fuelling point because (AFAIK) they only need filling once a day.
Buses and vans perform very different duties. Buses have been made to work on hydrogen but actual transportation of goods is lagging and is only making inroads at small scale - the ''last mile'' as I've heard it described. As we enter the haulier's world things are very very different regarding fuel usage.

Apart from the longer range you mean? The main one is that the range doesn't drop like a lead balloon when the weather gets a bit nippy. Not only does the fuel cell efficiency remain about the same, but it also produces waste heat that can be used to warm the vehicle up without consuming further power (just like an ICE). In something like a bus this is a big deal in cold weather as you have a huge space to maintain at a comfortable temperature for all the passengers.
There are those advantages, granted. Looking again at the loss of Vivaro payload. That 400kg loss looks a lot like circa 500kg of tankage containing circa 5kg of hydrogen. That inescapable 100:1 tare to content ratio that is the limit for steel.
From a quick Google there are already over 5,600 hydrogen fuel cell buses in service. Early days yet, but companies like Wrightbus (to pick one) seem to be doing OK with them now:
Buses not long distance coaches.
Will hydrogen vehicles be permitted to use the Channel Tunnel? Vehicles with LPG stored at a mere 10 bar aren't. Coach operators will want to know the answer to that.

But here's my question to you BTB500. Describe to me how hydrogen will be stored between generation and finally arriving in a Mirai's carbon fibre tank. What quantities will be held, in what type of vessel(s), at what cost, and located where?

Vehicles with LPG stored at a mere 10 bar aren't.
Really?....caravans with LPG (Propane or Butane) cylinders are at about 13 bar on a warm day.....you can take those through.....as thousands of caravaners do every year. From the Tunnel website: Tanks up to 47kg may be carried, but must be less than 80% full. Caravans cylinders are usually 6 or 7 kg.....never heard of anyone checking how full they are though!!

Really?....caravans with LPG (Propane or Butane) cylinders are at about 13 bar on a warm day....
40C - hardly a typical British day. Nonetheless, a far cry from 700 bar.
.you can take those through.....as thousands of caravaners do every year. From the Tunnel website: Tanks up to 47kg may be carried, but must be less than 80% full. Caravans cylinders are usually 6 or 7 kg.....never heard of anyone checking how full they are though!!
That's as maybe but LPG powered vehicles are not permitted.

That's not what the i3 is made of. Only the body is carbon based. The chassis is aluminium. Again, if carbon fibre was affordable, why not for the chassis too?

I stand corrected - 'only' the safety cell for the occupants and body of the i3 are CRP. The fact remains though that carbon tanks are being used now by Toyota, BMW and Hyundai (and maybe others), so it's clearly not that extortionate to make them.

I suspect you underestimate the task of a ''simple structure like a tank''. 700 bar is 10,290 psi. Like holding back four and a half tons with half of your thumb. The tensile stress in the tank walls is enormous and if any part of the tank is weakened (by accident) than the release of that stress energy backed by the expanding from 700 bar hydrogen is explosive. The explosive risk from that is such that the hydrogen need not ignite for the consequences to be fatal. You might want to consider the storage medium at refuelling stations WRT to materials used, cost, and danger to public re the explosive risk where storage has to be way in excess of that of a single vehicle.

A tank is a relatively simple shape to construct compared to say a car bodyshell or safety tub. Obviously it has to be strong, and obviously having one burst would be a 'bad thing'. Presumably the manufacturers of such vehicles have considered this though, particularly in respect of the US market where product liability is usually taken pretty seriously.

This predicated by your original assertion that the van operator wants to be emission free. Debatable when the legislation is considered.

As mentioned the legislation states that 70% of new van sales must be zero emission by 2030, and 100% by 2035. Hardly any operators want zero emission vans now, as shown by the 2024 registration figures I've already posted. But ones with more range (all year round) and way faster 'refuelling' could change that. Maybe a quantum leap in battery technology will deliver this in the near future, but if not then hydrogen has the potential to.

But here's my question to you BTB500. Describe to me how hydrogen will be stored between generation and finally arriving in a Mirai's carbon fibre tank. What quantities will be held, in what type of vessel(s), at what cost, and located where?

No idea, but as hydrogen vehicles (buses etc. ... not just Toyota Mirais) are already being used successfully in the UK and elsewhere this must be working somehow.

There are only 16 places cars can fill with hydrogen on the whole of the UK.... not exactly cinvenient!...... there are several million places you can charge a car.... like nearly every house! Too much money has gone into EVs and the infrastructure, love them or hate them (I'm in the latter catagory!) there's no going back now.

There are only 16 places cars can fill with hydrogen on the whole of the UK.... not exactly cinvenient!...... there are several million places you can charge a car.... like nearly every house! Too much money has gone into EVs and the infrastructure, love them or hate them (I'm in the latter catagory!) there's no going back now.

The government is investing heavily in UK hydrogen production. Strategy is here:

2024 update here:

So, the Leaf has arrived and I'm now a fully fledged delusional Greenie EV owner, I'm sure it won't change me though .......

1st hour, hmmmm seems strangely alluring......

why_do_you_hate_my_man_bun_psychologytoday.com_.jpg

6 Hours, no need for any more ........

istockphoto-168511353-612x612.jpg

12 Hours, .............

istockphoto-1300089241-640x640.jpg

P.S. The delivery drivers route was 250 miles and the Leafs range is 150 and he wasn't a ogre when he arrived despite no chargers working at his first stop.

😄

It seems EV drivers can’t park, either that or they (think they) own the car park..
View attachment 161254
(Full disclosure - this is a mate’s car, and he’d just reversed there to turn round. Posted just because I couldn’t resist it)
Oh, so it wasn’t actually a woman then?

As a BTW, I’ve just returned an EV that was extraordinarily easy to park in a ridiculously narrow parking space, thanks to its 360 cameras. Nothing to do with is propulsion method, of course, but a good example of new tech changing the world.

thanks to its 360 cameras. Nothing to do with is propulsion method, of course, but a good example of new tech changing the world.
360 cameras are great, reversing cameras too.

A good example of one of those things that are often described as unnecessary or a waste of time until that person samples it. Like many things, best sampled before forming a judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom