• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

Variable VED was much much easier to implement than variable duty at point of sale.

Fuel duty is in effect variable anyway.

Big thirsty car ... more duty paid.

Lots of miles ... more duty paid.

Several passengers ... less duty paid per occupant.

OTOH the issue with VED is that is 'variable' according to price and category of vehicle with no relationship to how much it is actually used.

Reactions: 190
Fuel duty is in effect variable anyway.

Big thirsty car ... more duty paid.

Lots of miles ... more duty paid.

Several passengers ... less duty paid per occupant.

OTOH the issue with VED is that is 'variable' according to price and category of vehicle with no relationship to how much it is actually used.

So just like how I pay from my taxes for the NHS, the police, the fire service, and many other public services? Those who consume these services more do not seem to pay more than others. In fact, many are actually exempt...

So just like how I pay from my taxes for the NHS, the police, the fire service, and many other public services? Those who consume these services more do not seem to pay more than others. In fact, many are actually exempt...

Car use is different. The pursuit of net zero is behind the transition to EV's so anything that taxes an EV's use by the mile would be consistent with that aim of reducing total emissions from cars at least until all electricity generation is carbon neutral. And even when that happens EV's will still be producing pollution from tyres and bigger ones will be more polluting. So there would be something missing from pay per mile at a flat rate.
A 3 tonne private car is an obscenity in ecological terms regardless of it's motive power source. How can that be reflected in tax per mile so that it pays more than a Fiat 500. As has been pointed out above, Fuel duty currently does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom