The worst song ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
What is the worst song you have ever heard?

I'll start the ball rolling with these two.

For instant depression, try this. :crazy:

[YOUTUBE]cd_Fdly3rX8[/YOUTUBE]

NO! :doh:

[YOUTUBE]J09IeN-ONbk[/YOUTUBE]

I have to confess to liking the first one,more perhaps because it's a memory from my childhood. To be fair we used to sing different words to it:devil::bannana:

It's a three way draw for me with the 60s, 70s, and 80s each producing exceptionally awful songs that make Billy Bragg look good.

• Long haired Lover from Liverpool by the Osmond brat
  • Cinderella Rockefella by Esther and Abi Ofarim
  • Love Missile F1-11 by Sigue Sigue Sputnik

I have to confess to liking the first one,more perhaps because it's a memory from my childhood. To be fair we used to sing different words to it:devil::bannana:

I played this without realising that I had Sergio Morricone's Death Rattle playing simultaneously as if it were part of it (the harmonica theme from Once Upon a Time in the West). It actually improves it a lot.
devil.gif

Depends whether we're looking for the worst song, or the worst (professional) performance of a song.

There's not much I won't listen to, but there are a few singers whose performances I tend to avoid simply because their voices grate one me, including Ethel Merman (no surprise there) and Frank Sinatra.

As for worst song, I could nominate any number of so-called novelty records, such as this one:

[YOUTUBE]zZ1jekKgZqo[/YOUTUBE]

Then there are the insipid efforts that tend to be turned out by the Eurovision and X-Factor pop machines. Too many examples to mention, but here's one of each:

[YOUTUBE]C4Lq1DEJn0w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]WhHY3sA8G-0[/YOUTUBE]

Forced lyrics can often be the downfall of a decent tune. I reserve a pet hatred for any song whose lyrics include a lazy rhyme. Examples include "forget"/"regret" and "sunshine...rain"/"pleasure...pain", but the one that I really can't stand is the invariably contrived pairing of "change" and "rearrange", especially when they find their way into a song that I otherwise rather like. I have so far counted well over 50 examples of this pairing alone, some from accomplished artists who really should know better (Yes [at least twice!], Prince, Supertramp, The Seekers, etc). Again, I offer a couple of examples:

[YOUTUBE]UG6rDc4XQOQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]-St3Eg27WTE[/YOUTUBE]

But the tin hat surely has to go to this excruciating version of the otherwise likeable Downtown: (If you stick with it until the whistling starts you're truly a masochist.)

[YOUTUBE]GbCOavjktgk[/YOUTUBE]

"You'll never walk alone", "Blue moon", "Marching on together" and "Goodnight Irene" are right at the bottom of my play list.

I'll start the ball rolling with these two.

For instant depression, try this. :crazy:

[jacks]

NO! :doh:

[zavaroni]

Quite like the Terry Jacks one. Much better than the sequel, which is also a McKuen translation of a Jacques Brel original:

[YOUTUBE]aazaieIk-4M[/YOUTUBE]

Zavaroni was a tragedy - remarkable voice, but dead at 35 from complications of anorexia.

Black Lace - Agadoo or the Tweets with the Birdie Song.

Both should have been taken outside and shot like a rabid dog

Imagine - John Lennon, can't stand it, don't know why.

Likewise - for me it's the grave offence of the line '...and no religion too...'. 'No religion either'. Or 'also no religion'. Or perhaps 'nor any religion'. But never 'no religion too' :mad:

The worst 'song' I've heard yet I think was on a 1976 TOTP about the 'Boston Tea Party'.

Songs rarely offend me but that one does. Utter shyte.

Ah. SAHB

Not one of their best, I admit, however 'The Faith Healer' was brilliant

I'm surprised. So far, nobody's even mentioned "Orville's song".

keith-harris-and-orville-431x300.jpg

In kindness, I've only posted a picture. If you really want to hear it, I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.....

Amarillo - Tony Christie - YouTube

Tony Christie -Amarillo enough said !!!!!

I saw Tony Christie live a few years ago. What a sensational voice. A superb show that packed every seat in the theatre.

I met the man himself the following day and had to congratulate him - he's very shy in person - and I think he was as surprised as anyone else when "Amarillo" got back into the charts.

I still think that "I did what I did for Maria" was his best..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom