Top Gear - Merc CL 600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just watched on iPlayer.

Here's my summary........

GTR, excellent, especially the way it got off the line with launch control.
Rowan Atkinson, excellent.

Roll on next week.

Which ever you prefer out of the Jag or the GTR, how can it be that the Jag was £30k more expensive?

The technology in the Nissan was space-age as opposed to the XK, it was a quicker car in a straight line and also round the track. So unless the interior of the Jag is laced with diamonds and pearls, it's very very overpriced.

Which ever you prefer out of the Jag or the GTR, how can it be that the Jag was £30k more expensive?

The technology in the Nissan was space-age as opposed to the XK, it was a quicker car in a straight line and also round the track. So unless the interior of the Jag is laced with diamonds and pearls, it's very very overpriced.

Whatever way you paint it the Nissan is still perceived by many as being a cheap plasticky Datsun. It doesn't matter that it is a much better drivers car in many eyes. Horses for courses really I still wouldn't want to drive the length of France in the Nissan I'd be 3 inches shorter due to spinal compression on arrival. I'd much rather be in the Jag for a long journey, but on a track or a blatt around some country lanes by myself then the Nissan gets the vote.:D

Whatever way you paint it the Nissan is still perceived by many as being a cheap plasticky Datsun. It doesn't matter that it is a much better drivers car in many eyes. Horses for courses really I still wouldn't want to drive the length of France in the Nissan I'd be 3 inches shorter due to spinal compression on arrival. I'd much rather be in the Jag for a long journey, but on a track or a blatt around some country lanes by myself then the Nissan gets the vote.:D

Not sure about this, Nissan to be percieved to be a cheap plasticky Datsun maybe, But i know everyone I have ever spoken to about the GT-R are aware of the 'Skyline Herritage' and that gets appreciation from all corners.

Not sure about this, Nissan to be percieved to be a cheap plasticky Datsun maybe, But i know everyone I have ever spoken to about the GT-R are aware of the 'Skyline Herritage' and that gets appreciation from all corners.
I think what Snoop is getting at is people can be 'badge snobs'.

If the GTR had a Jaguar badge it would sell for twice as much...

Exactly. Ultimately everyone knows an Audi A3 is a rebadged VW Golf but they are willing to pay a higher price for them. Why? Badge snobbery. The same is true of Jaguar Xk and Aston Martin huge difference in price but pretty much the same car.:D

I doubt Nissan make much (if any) money out of the GTR, and I doubt they ever intended to. It's a halo car to demonstrate what they're capable of and which helps to move their bread and butter where the volume of sales (albeit with smaller margins) is where they make their money.

I doubt Nissan make much (if any) money out of the GTR, and I doubt they ever intended to. It's a halo car to demonstrate what they're capable of and which helps to move their bread and butter where the volume of sales (albeit with smaller margins) is where they make their money.

It is also a test bed for new technology, the Nissan Skyline developed electronic 4WD system was adapted for the X-Trail. On a mud course on a 5th gear test, all the soft roaders (Honda CRV, Toyota Rav etc) failed to climb a muddy slope except for the X Trail which sailed to the top without any drama.

Russ

This my point also, I know from people that I have talked to, they percieve the 'Skyline' brand to be seperate from Nissan even though it is a Nissan. The 'Skyline' brand certainly carries a lot of Kudos and is well known to be the best in japanese performance branding.

I think it depends on your train of thinking, taking the 2 cars in question the GTR and XK-RS, I know as an image/brand I would rate the GTR in a higher regard.

A big part of the GTR/Skyline is that it's a giant killer.

The Jag isn't really a true giant, but it's up a rung or two and hence the price premium.

It would therefore be a disappointment if it didn't put an XK in the shade.

Shame the GTR has gone up in price so much since launch. Good value now, but an absolute bargain at launch.

The Jag is hopelessly overpriced.

The GTR made it look like it had all the technology of an Austin Ambassador with about the same pace.

Plus you can get 4 people in the GTR.

The GTR is rarer and whenever I see one it looks so imposing and menacing! The Jag just doesn't look that special and has extreme old man look about it.

Oh and I meant to add which will be more reliable long term.....of course its the GTR.

Plus you can get 4 people in the GTR.

The GTR is rarer and whenever I see one it looks so imposing and menacing! The Jag just doesn't look that special and has extreme old man look about it.

That's fine IF you want to get 4 people in a car but if you don't then why bother.;)

GTR may be rarer where you're from but I know 3 people who have them, I only know 1 person who has an XK (I don't know anyone who has an XK-RS) so to me it's the other way round.:)

The GT-R as I said before is a good car for driving like you nicked it, but about as comfortable as sitting on a 1970's roller skate (the sort you used to strap on your shoes)

The XK is a grand tourer, a comfortable barge to cruise in comfort (I don't know about the RS)

Looks don't really do it for me, I'd rather drive a wolf in sheeps clothing (anyone remember Fiat Supermirafiori) than something that looks what it actually is. It's so much more fun when you make someone in a "look at me" type car look like a tw@t.:D:D No I'm not saying I could do someone in a GT-R before anyone makes any assumptions.

I have to agree that I would have loved a GTR at 18 but now it has to be a large engined comfy cruiser.
It just looks too fast n furious to be driven by anyone with more than half a brain cell.

CL63 anyday..

Oh and I meant to add which will be more reliable long term.....of course its the GTR.

A lot of technology and innovation, only time will tell what the reliability will be like IMO. Nissan whilst having a reputation for reliability (so did Toyota) have never been massive innovators or users of technology in there mainstream cars. Only he Skylines differ in this respect which are not mainstream, and Toyota / Lexus used to have reliability stamped all over them until 2 years ago.:thumb:

I have to agree that I would have loved a GTR at 18 but now it has to be a large engined comfy cruiser.
It just looks too fast n furious to be driven by anyone with more than half a brain cell.

CL63 anyday..

+1 I'm with you in that sentiment Jay. If I want to "shake, rattle n roll" I'll get on a pushbike.:eek: That by the way is about as likely as me having the wherewithall to buy a new XK-RR & a GT-R cash.:D

hey lets not go that far, I would never buy a jaaag!

Whoops didn't mean to offend I wasn't trying to insinuate you would buy a large cat.:D I've looked at your current stable and it's evident if you were a stick of rock you'd have Mercedes Benz written right through.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom