Top Gear - Merc CL 600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's fine IF you want to get 4 people in a car but if you don't then why bother.;)

The GT-R as I said before is a good car for driving like you nicked it, but about as comfortable as sitting on a 1970's roller skate (the sort you used to strap on your shoes)

The XK is a grand tourer, a comfortable barge to cruise in comfort (I don't know about the RS)

Think thats a bit extreme, granted its not the most refined GT cruiser but defintaly not as uncomfortable as your portraying.

The XK is a barge :D the GT-R is something very special for those in the know ;)

I agree with May's dislike of the Nurburgring being the be all and end all of performance car development. Snoop51 has it right. The whole point of the Jag (and proper GT cars in general) is that one can drive to the Riviera with m'lady and arrive looking forward to the evening, not looking for an osteopath.

I've had the CL55 AMG for eight months now and it has been faultless - It is a nice place to be and play, 100's of miles in comfort and a bit of play in a journey - step out and you're fine! Last real one was 205 miles return journey Lincoln to Harrogate - nothing overtook me there or back and I got 25.3mpg:bannana:
I've had a MK1 MX5 for 3 years and it is virtually a track car - never fails to put a smile on my face, basic raw motoring! But I'd only want three or four hours max in it: I'd be deaf, need an osteopath, need a dentist and a surgeon to take the smile off my face :D
Chalk and cheese methinks :thumb:

Which car do I prefer?
Motorhead coming out of the CL or the 5 always gets strange looks!

Interesting thread considering much of the the GT-R's reputation once applied to the MkII Jaguar in the 1960's! ;) The getaway drivers car of choice!

Russ

Interesting thread considering much of the the GT-R's reputation once applied to the MkII Jaguar in the 1960's! ;) The getaway drivers car of choice!

Russ

But the Mark II Jaguar was beautiful !

You don't need to be "in the know" since the GT-R screams it's credentials to all and sundry. Rapid it may, subtle it ain't.

There are plenty of XKR here in the Midlands, none of them are subtle in sound either. But I guess not many V8 are.

I think it may be an age thing. I've done the shake, rattle n roll, boy racer, chuck em around country lanes type cars (fantastic in North Yorkshire), admittedly nowhere near the same league as the GT-R.

I've also lived in Germany for 7 years driving at the max my car could go on the autobahn running on tax free fuel.

Now I'd prefer to cruise in comfort and relax, knowing that ultimately speed camera's are great levellers for those who drive like loons. Which is what I would drive like if I had a GT-R :devil:, I'll stick with my W212 for now. (Although I have got a hankering for a V8 SL R107 to cruise in and something like a Golf diesel to use for work.):)

You don't need to be "in the know" since the GT-R screams it's credentials to all and sundry. Rapid it may, subtle it ain't.

The vast majority of supercars "scream their credentials" -it's not a problem specific to the GT-R

I have to agree that I would have loved a GTR at 18 but now it has to be a large engined comfy cruiser.
It just looks too fast n furious to be driven by anyone with more than half a brain cell.

CL63 anyday..

GT-R may be 100% fast and furious but the CL63 is hardly a shrinking violet -in fact like most of the AMGs it is rather blingy.
I'm sure an 18yr old would love a CL63 as much as a GT-R
:)

Last edited:
Agreed... As much as i like the C63 it is definatly blinggy!

GT-R may be 100% fast and furious but the CL63 is hardly a shrinking violet -in fact like most of the AMGs it is rather blingy.
I'm sure an 18yr old would love a CL63 as much as a GT-R
:)

Just had a look on google GT-R is much more chavvy and blingtastic. Every Essex boys wet dream.:D

From what I saw of the comparison the point JC was originally trying to make was that the Jaguar's strength was that it originally was affordable [relatively] fast long distance GT type car. In giving it the extra performance/handling it had lost those primary virtues which made it so appealing for the money. To perhaps emphasise this they pitched it against a "no compromise" out and out performance car to show that the cost of the extra performance didn't represent very good value for money either. Having said that not many performance cars would! At the end my impression was that the XKR v GT-R comparison tended to get lost in all the marvelling at the GT-R technology such that the Jaguar was sort of forgotten about.:dk:

I've had the CL55 AMG for eight months now and it has been faultless - It is a nice place to be and play, 100's of miles in comfort and a bit of play in a journey - step out and you're fine! Last real one was 205 miles return journey Lincoln to Harrogate - nothing overtook me there or back and I got 25.3mpg:bannana:
I've had a MK1 MX5 for 3 years and it is virtually a track car - never fails to put a smile on my face, basic raw motoring! But I'd only want three or four hours max in it: I'd be deaf, need an osteopath, need a dentist and a surgeon to take the smile off my face :D
Chalk and cheese methinks :thumb:

Which car do I prefer?
Motorhead coming out of the CL or the 5 always gets strange looks!

Great combination the CL and the MX5, as I have the same pair of cars! last year I swapped my CL55k with the current CL600 biturbo for even more cruising comfort. The MX5 is an original Mk1 BBR Turbo which I have upgraded for track days. Mel.

From what I saw of the comparison the point JC was originally trying to make was that the Jaguar's strength was that it originally was affordable [relatively] fast long distance GT type car. In giving it the extra performance/handling it had lost those primary virtues which made it so appealing for the money. To perhaps emphasise this they pitched it against a "no compromise" out and out performance car to show that the cost of the extra performance didn't represent very good value for money either. Having said that not many performance cars would! At the end my impression was that the XKR v GT-R comparison tended to get lost in all the marvelling at the GT-R technology such that the Jaguar was sort of forgotten about.:dk:

My understanding was that Jaguar had gone all out to create a fast, uncompromising sports car which had lost it's ability as a GT car due to being too firm, so at 90+ grand it represented poor value for money against the much cheaper and better Nissan.

Who has had the opportunity to actually drive a GT-R for a while ?

I've seen a few around Glasgow and must say that they do look 'fit for purpose' and an awful lot bigger than expected.

Not exactly a 370Z on steroids ...

My understanding was that Jaguar had gone all out to create a fast, uncompromising sports car which had lost it's ability as a GT car due to being too firm, so at 90+ grand it represented poor value for money against the much cheaper and better Nissan.

I used to have a top gear video of a supercar showdown on a runway, Porsche 911. Ferrari, Aston, Caterham, Lotus, TVR plus a couple more. All with the exception of the Caterham & TVR were £60k plus cars, they did a drag race for a mile IIRC. TVR was way in front with second being the Porsche I think. Ultimately it's nothing new for large money cars to be shown up by cheaper opposition, although I accept the TVR couldn't match the Nissan in any way especially reliability.

Top Gear Cerbera Drag Race Video by Mad Mark - Myspace Video

:thumb:

and an awful lot bigger than expected.

I remember when I pulled up behind one at traffic lights.

I was amazed at how large the car actually is. Exhausts were pretty large too.

I don't recall the R34 being quite so large but they may have been...

Just had a look on google GT-R is much more chavvy and blingtastic. Every Essex boys wet dream.:D

Essex boys don't do GT-Rs .Fast Fords and Range Rover Sport are their choice i reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom