Towing on a Motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I Believe its also a legal requirement for the towed vehicle to display an "ON TOW" notice on the back

I was driving down the M3 one night (years ago) and was overtaken by two cars very close together. I assumed it was a road rage/tailgating thing ... was only when they got a couple of hundred yards past me and the lights started going round and round that I realised the rear car was being towed. They both spun around several times (still connected), with one of them clipping the central reservation in the process. I managed to avoid hitting either, luckily it was late at night and traffic was very light.

Ok, so I'm going there later today... the plan is to take a 3.3l petrol car as the "tower" just in case...

but to try to drive it home, depending on how much it's leaking... planned stops are my office (20 miles), friends house (14 miles), petrol station (somewhere) then home... intention is to stop, let the engine cool, topup water and continue.
OK, this may not be within the spirit of how things should work, but it's certainly not illegal.

If you're a member of the AA (or any other recovery organisation who cover the member, rather than the car), drive the new purchase until you "become worrried about the leak", then call out the breakdown provider of your choice. Depending upon the cover you have they will then drag you home.

A friend used this technique when he drag raced in the street class many years ago. After a slight incident at York Raceway, I dragged his car out onto the public road about a mile away and he then called out the recovery firm. Convincing the call centre that sending a patrol "to fix it at the roadside" was totally futile due to the rod poking through the side of the block was the only difficult bit :D

OK, this may not be within the spirit of how things should work, but it's certainly not illegal.

If you're a member of the AA (or any other recovery organisation who cover the member, rather than the car), drive the new purchase until you "become worrried about the leak", then call out the breakdown provider of your choice. Depending upon the cover you have they will then drag you home.

A friend used this technique when he drag raced in the street class many years ago. After a slight incident at York Raceway, I dragged his car out onto the public road about a mile away and he then called out the recovery firm. Convincing the call centre that sending a patrol "to fix it at the roadside" was totally futile due to the rod poking through the side of the block was the only difficult bit :D

I did consider that... but after shafting me for a £200 bill a few years ago for a tow as I was a mile or so too far I haven't had AA/RAC cover... and relied on maintaining my cars instead...

Did ask a few friends, but couldn't find one with cover... the general answer I get is "I rely on you you" (something about having 7-8 cars... sigh...)

M

Since you'll need to fix it anyway , why not buy a new water pump and fit it before driving back - not a huge job on the 190 : remove radiator and all is easily accessible - I did mine in 2-3 hours in the dark on a freezing cold winter night . Haynes manual will keep you right . Pump was about £70 for genuine item from the dealer ( had to pay a refundable surcharge as I didn't take the old pump in when collecting the new one , but got it back OK ) . ECP had a cheaper pump but the guy on the counter told me I'd still have to go to Merc for the gasket which they didn't do , plus another bolt or pipe ( can't remember ) which they didn't have either , nor did they have their pump in stock anyway . Merc did have the pump in stock , discounted it to almost the ECP price , and everything required was in the box .

Re towing , I was about to suggest the AA and to drive until you broke down .

Nothing illegal about towing on motorways , I have done it many times , if the towed car has any of its wheels on the ground it must be insured ; you can generally get away without tax or MOT under tow ; as others have said DO NOT use hazard lights whilst in motion : this is an offence since you cannot signal ; I normally just put my trailer board with my number plate on the back of the towed vehicle , placed in such a way as to cover the other vehicles number plate , I have a long enough cable to reach from the back of my car and tape the cable along the tow rope or pole .

Keep speeds moderate and steady , giving plenty of warning to the towed driver before slowing down , towed driver should keep light pressure on brakes at all times so as to keep rope tight and avoid running over it ; towcar should accelerate smoothly and gently .

Easy stuff really .

Otherwise , if leak not too bad , you could put some Radweld or similar in to stem the leak , then flush system out thoroughly on return with Halfords two part flush or similar , before fixing properly with new pump .

Since you'll need to fix it anyway , why not buy a new water pump and fit it before driving back - not a huge job on the 190 : remove radiator and all is easily accessible - I did mine in 2-3 hours in the dark on a freezing cold winter night . Haynes manual will keep you right . Pump was about £70 for genuine item from the dealer ( had to pay a refundable surcharge as I didn't take the old pump in when collecting the new one , but got it back OK ) . ECP had a cheaper pump but the guy on the counter told me I'd still have to go to Merc for the gasket which they didn't do , plus another bolt or pipe ( can't remember ) which they didn't have either , nor did they have their pump in stock anyway . Merc did have the pump in stock , discounted it to almost the ECP price , and everything required was in the box .

It's not a 190... ;)

Re use of hazard warning lights while in motion, there is one concession within the Highway Code:
Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

It is a manual... 2WD...

not a merc I'm afraid to say... I did want, and was looking for, a diesel 190... (and may have found one) but this one is an offer to good to miss on...

The 190 is something that a family friend has had in a garage for the last decade or so... low miles, FSH until it was garaged... still starts and runs... but it does have a problem I'm told, which is when you turn off the key the engine doesn't turn off... but thats a different project for the moment ;)

M.

Sorry , this post was what made me mistakenly think it was a 190.

The fault with the 190 D not stopping will most likely be the vacuum engine stop switch in the ignition switch - or one of the pipes having come off it !

It's not a 190... ;)

Sorry , misread as above - even so , is getting a pump and fixing it , since you'd have to do this anyway at some point , not an option ?

It would be if I had more time... no way to get a pump by this evening unfortunately...

From what I can see, I would need 2-3 hours to change it, not too tough. Accesory belt off, a few hoses, 4 bolts & a gasket...

So the plan is to see how bad the leak is, if it's not too bad I'll drive & top-up... if it's bad it's being parked in Luton's car park for a day or two, then towed this weekend with the solid bar from hellfrauds...

M.

What car is it?

If you are considering parking it up until the weekend, why not get a water pump and do it then?

It would be if I had more time... no way to get a pump by this evening unfortunately...

From what I can see, I would need 2-3 hours to change it, not too tough. Accesory belt off, a few hoses, 4 bolts & a gasket...

So the plan is to see how bad the leak is, if it's not too bad I'll drive & top-up... if it's bad it's being parked in Luton's car park for a day or two, then towed this weekend with the solid bar from hellfrauds...

M.

Why not take it straight to Hellfrauds and let them fit a new pump, service it, change the brake fluid, fit new wipers and all the other things they offer when you go in for a replacement bulb!

Why not take it straight to Hellfrauds and let them fit a new pump, service it, change the brake fluid, fit new wipers and all the other things they offer when you go in for a replacement bulb!

I tried getting them to do an oil change on the probe... (See my other post)... they wanted to use the wrong specification oil, and change an extra £22 for the right viscosity fully synth oil...

What car is it?

If you are considering parking it up until the weekend, why not get a water pump and do it then?
It's another probe (ducks for cover)

Motorway towing is a very grey area with regards to the law. Towing on a bar or A frame is only meant to be done to get a stricken vehicle from its breakdown point to a place of safety. Towing with a rope really is frowned upon on a motorway.
Saying that, you see people towing on A frames all the time, motorhome owners being the case in point. This is only legal if the car being towed has permanent towing points attached to it( ie welded or bolted) allowing it to be hooked up to an A frame, technically classing it as a trailer rather than a towed car.
As i say, all this really is a grey area and the average traffic cop is likely to not bother you if you appear to be taking all precautions to stay safe. VOSA on the other hand may take an interest.

You can only tow a vehicle with a rope to get you out of trouble, at all other times a towing bar or an a frame must be used.

The only way to legaly tow on the motorway is with a "towing dolly" like the aa use, the vehicle is then classed as a trailer.

You must also display the registration plate of the lead vehicle, along with its lights. (ie with a light board) Hazzards must not be used.

Where exactly are you coming from, and going to? (uxbridge I guess?)

Tow ropes on a motorway is a no no IIRC.

The tow bar from halfords is better but also a no on the motorway IIRC. It has to be an A frame.

As for the halfords tow bar, it may not work for you anyway as the tow ring on the back of your car needs to be on the same side as the tow ring on the front of the towed car. If the two are on different sides, the tow bar shouldnt be used and you have to use a rope.

You can only tow a vehicle with a rope to get you out of trouble, at all other times a towing bar or an a frame must be used.
Tow ropes on a motorway is a no no IIRC.
I'm not saying you're not right (and I'm not saying that towing with a rope on a motorway is a great idea either), but can either of you point me to a statute that supports either the first or the second statement?

The Highway Code only notes that "In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous." I can find nothing that suggests that there is any offence commited purely by the act of towing using a rope whether on or off a motorway
Vehicle towing and loading. As a driver

•you MUST NOT tow more than your licence permits. If you passed a car test after 1 Jan 1997 you are restricted on the weight of trailer you can tow
•you MUST NOT overload your vehicle or trailer. You should not tow a weight greater than that recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle
•you MUST secure your load and it MUST NOT stick out dangerously. Make sure any heavy or sharp objects and any animals are secured safely. If there is a collision, they might hit someone inside the vehicle and cause serious injury
•you should properly distribute the weight in your caravan or trailer with heavy items mainly over the axle(s) and ensure a downward load on the tow ball. Manufacturer’s recommended weight and tow ball load should not be exceeded. This should avoid the possibility of swerving or snaking and going out of control. If this does happen, ease off the accelerator and reduce speed gently to regain control
•carrying a load or pulling a trailer may require you to adjust the headlights

In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery.

[Laws CUR reg 100 & MV(DL)R reg 43]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom