track day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is all about what you are looking to get out of it. I’ve seen some guys absolutely battering their cars, tyres squealing everywhere, coming into the pits with smoke pouring from their brakes. Whatever floats your boat really. I just look for a bit of fun and don’t want to damage my car so drive well within my limits which are well within the cars limit! Good wood does put a lot of load generally on the front left so keep an eye on the tyre pressures as it may build up some heat even with sensible spirited driving. Wheel nuts is a personal thing I suppose. My Peugeot 306 rear wheels nuts would get loose during the event through thermal cycling so I always check now. Not noticed it on other cars but once bitten and all that.

The jury is still out on this one.... appreciate all the replies

I have done goodwood a few times in my E55, great fun, go and do it and enjoy it! as others have said, the brakes do take a pounding, so the pads and brake pad sensors may well need replacing afterwards. Tyres will be fine unless your drifting every corner.

rough track conditions may attract stone chips, goodwood was pretty clear in that aspect.

Goodwood is fabulous. My local circuit. I think I’ve done over a thousand laps.
I live ten minutes from it....I've done less laps on it than I've done on Donnington Park!!

It is all about what you are looking to get out of it. I’ve seen some guys absolutely battering their cars, tyres squealing everywhere, coming into the pits with smoke pouring from their brakes. Whatever floats your boat really. I just look for a bit of fun and don’t want to damage my car so drive well within my limits which are well within the cars limit! Good wood does put a lot of load generally on the front left so keep an eye on the tyre pressures as it may build up some heat even with sensible spirited driving. Wheel nuts is a personal thing I suppose. My Peugeot 306 rear wheels nuts would get loose during the event through thermal cycling so I always check now. Not noticed it on other cars but once bitten and all that.
I live ten minutes from it....I've done less laps on it than I've done on Donnington Park!!
*pedant mode on* Donington. *pedant mode off*

Always get that wrong....the Donnington close to me near Chichester does have the extra N....!

There is the other potentially disastrous aspect to track days, you are not alone and it doesn't have to be your fault.

Reactions: JHS
Sorry, a little late to this one but I have done lots of track days so hopefully can help the OP regarding costs:

Cost of track day itself
Cost of fuel there and back plus at least one whole tank for the day
Cost of Insurance which can be bought easy enough but excess is generally 10% of market value of car
Cost of pads and tyres if worn excessively on day
Cost of other parts at next MOT if worn excessively through use new to them
Cost of oil and filter change before or after day
Cost of helmet, or hire of one if you don't have one
Cost of a tuition session, a must for a novice if offered at the briefing
Cost of further track days once the bug bites

At your first track day do a sound check (if not compulsory) so you know levels for any future days and don't pay for a day where you are too loud.

The benefits are good though. You get to know more about your car and how it handles and behaves at speeds you wouldn't normally achieve on public roads and gain a better understanding of how your car behaves and how you control the car at speed, especially under hard braking.

One thing I do on all tracks I drive for the first time is the "ducks and drakes" drive if offered as it allows you to see the right lines and spot the cones used for apex and exit points on the corners.

Some track days offer groupings (generally novice, intermediate and advanced) so you can get into the novice group and feel comfortable you have no driving gods around you. When in a group session find your own speed and space on the track and let other cars go past (generally pull right and indicate right on the straight whilst lifting a bit) and they will pass you on your left. This will create a nice envelope of space for you to do your own thing but always keep an eye in your mirrors for cars catching you again. Effectively you can run at your own speed as confidence builds. Also, don't feel the need to do all the session. Start with a slow out lap, then a couple of quicker laps and then a slow in lap to cool oil, brakes etc. Sessions are generally long enough for you to do that and go out again and it gives you a break from concentrating on everything going on in your car and around you.

If the day is run in open sessions where all cars can go on the track (subject to track capacity limit at any time) you just need to be more aware of what is happening around you, especially in your mirrors as there is the occasional idiot on a track day who thinks diving down the inside at a corner is not just for the professionals. I have seen a few occasions where this has happened and panel damage occurred.

On a track day with sessions I don't go out in the last one as that is the one where some folks try to push on and get it wrong, generally leading to red flags due to spins and/or gravel trap towing requirements. I also keep an eye on other drivers throughout the day to see if any are not as in control as they should be and try to avoid them, or at least know when they are behind me and let them pass as soon as possible.

Overall I would highly recommend a track day to anyone who owns a performance car as they are a great eye opener to what the car can do compared to what you do the other 99% of the time on public roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom