Variable Speed Limit Cameras - M1 Nottingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if someone said they had nine points on their licence... would you lend them your car?
:D

I usually give my Vectra to my cousin, and he doesnt even have a licence anymore. :D

But i know he's still a hell of a good driver though ;)

A similar analogy is overtaking a police car. It's going 70mph. Would you try and pass it?
On a motorway, certainly.

If you are doing 75 and driving well/nicely in a taxed/insured/not stolen vehicle there is no way they are going to be bothered. The main problem is the tailback of morons who won't go past when the police vehicle is doing under 70 (which is the case, most of the time). And more often it's a Highways Agency "Traffic Officer" vehicle anyway :rolleyes:

Been through them at warp 9 most weekends over the past year. But not when they are illuminated to show variable limit in force.

No NIPS..

I think you will find that - right or wrong - speeding and parking offences are generally treated as socially acceptable offences.

The test is simple: if someone late to a meeting with you says - sorry but I was stopped by police for speeding on the way here, or sorry but my car was clamped, would it stop you from doing business with them?

I don't think Insurance companies treat speeding as socially acceptable.
A nice little earner for upping the premiums :dk::)

The main problem is the tailback of morons who won't go past when the police vehicle is doing under 70 (which is the case, most of the time). And more often it's a Highways Agency "Traffic Officer" vehicle anyway :rolleyes:

Too true. This is one of my greatest bug-bears of motorway driving (apart from the SFBs in the middle lane). From my observations, these morons will even brake for motorway maintenance Astra vans parked on the hard shoulder; in fact, anything with reflective stripes on the back. :wallbash:

I'm sure if you put a hi-viz jacket on a stick at the side of a motorway, they would brake for that too. :crazy:

Last edited:
Yup they're the same people who slam on the brakes for any Gatso, even though they were doing less than the speed limit in the first place!

I think you will find that - right or wrong - speeding and parking offences are generally treated as socially acceptable offences.

The test is simple: if someone late to a meeting with you says - sorry but I was stopped by police for speeding on the way here, or sorry but my car was clamped, would it stop you from doing business with them?

Probably - if they can't organise their life well enough not to park correctly or get to a meeting without speeding then they are probably not the type of person I need working in my team.

Needless to say, I'm not perfect and have had points, tickets, etc, but I've never missed a business meeting due to comething under my control.

I usually give my Vectra to my cousin, and he doesnt even have a licence anymore. :D

But i know he's still a hell of a good driver though ;)

I assume that you are joking.

If not, you risk being prosecuted for allowing an unlicenced driver to drive your car with no insurance.

I'll be honest, I didn't ask the question to prompt a load of you to take the moral high ground with regards speeding on Britains roads. Believe it or not, I knew before posting that exceeding the NSL was breaking the law, this I did not require clarification on!

What I actually wanted to know was if by triggering the flash unit in the camera can my friend expect to receive 3 penalty points and a fixed penalty fine? I was unsure because the variable speed limit was not activated.

That was all , no lessons on morality or the ins and outs of what is allowed by law on British roads.

Thanks

I think I read somewhere (on t'internet, so it must be true) that where there are a series of average speed cameras only two are actually active, but of course you don't know which two. Apparently it reduces the amount of data which needs crunching while still reducing speeds.

I must admit to travelling over 70mph between junctions 25 & 26.
I only do this when there are no speed restriction warnings flashing.
So far I have yet to get a letter.
I do find though the usual reason for me breaking the limit is to get around traffic hogging the 2nd & 3rd lanes.
It's a real pain as if they all kept to the left traffic would flow more freely.

I've certainly once seen one of the M25 units flash back in the late 90s (99 I think) as someone went through it going in the opposite direction in the outside lane.

I'm sure I've seen another SPECS flash once since.

Never known of anyone getting done by them.

I found this on another forum. It seems to be directly related to the stretch of motorway in question. It's taken from some transcripts from the House of Commons.

22 Nov 2010 : Column 30W—continued

Speed Limits: Cameras Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 11W, on M1: speed limits, whether fixed speed cameras will be used to detect offences of speeding over 70 miles per hour. [25203]

Mike Penning: Speed enforcement cameras to be installed as part of the controlled motorway system on the M1 motorway between junctions 25 and 28 are not being introduced to enforce the national speed limit.

When no restrictions are in place, the signals will not show any speed limits, and will therefore indicate that normal motorway regulations and enforcement regimes apply.

Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 20W, on speed limits: cameras, whether the fixed speed cameras are in operation between M1 junctions 6a to 10. [25204]

Mike Penning: The speed enforcement cameras on the M1 between junctions 6a to 10 are not currently in operation.

Based on the current timescales, they are expected to come into operation during March 2011.

Mr Knight: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport pursuant to the answer of 5 July 2010, Official Report, column 20W, on speed limits: cameras, whether fixed speed cameras will used to detect offences of speeding over 70 miles per hour. [25205]

Mike Penning: Fixed speed enforcement cameras will not be introduced to enforce the national speed limit, they will only enforce the use of mandatory variable speed limits used to manage traffic flows. When no restrictions are in place, the signals will not show any speed limits, and will therefore indicate that normal motorway regulations and enforcement regimes will apply.

Mr E said:
Probably - if they can't organise their life well enough not to park correctly or get to a meeting without speeding then they are probably not the type of person I need working in my team.

Needless to say, I'm not perfect and have had points, tickets, etc, but I've never missed a business meeting due to comething under my control.

I know this is OT and I hope you don't take this as being rude but I do differ with that view point. Cars breakdown, trains are late people speed habitually just because that's how they drive. I'd maybe avoid someone who is late for they have a hangover and a drink problem but getting tugged for speeding, in my view doesn't alter the integrity of the person you are dealing with

Who post such an obviously pious and antagonistic statement? It's not as if exceeding the motorway speed limit is the same as drink driving.
Wow David, as I don't know you i will treat your reply with the contempt it deserves. Have you seen the damage a speeding car can do to a human being first hand I have and it is not a pretty sight. I agree with you that it is not the same as drink driving although comparing the two his quite laughable, and frankly if you are stone cold sober then it makes a decision to speed more calculated. I have lost friends to speeding motorists and perhaps that it why I feel the way I do. Perhaps now you might make a more informed opinion on my statement.

Wow David, as I don't know you i will treat your reply with the contempt it deserves. Have you seen the damage a speeding car can do to a human being first hand I have and it is not a pretty sight. I agree with you that it is not the same as drink driving although comparing the two his quite laughable, and frankly if you are stone cold sober then it makes a decision to speed more calculated. I have lost friends to speeding motorists and perhaps that it why I feel the way I do. Perhaps now you might make a more informed opinion on my statement.

I am sorry for your loss Timmy.

However, your judgement will be clouded on this one.

I'll rephrase the question, people speed every day, of those that speed, how many actually die because of that. A tiny tiny proportion.

If a car crashes at 70mph its game over for those inside it, why then does it matter if its going 100mph, the net result is the same?

I know this is OT and I hope you don't take this as being rude but I do differ with that view point. Cars breakdown, trains are late people speed habitually just because that's how they drive. I'd maybe avoid someone who is late for they have a hangover and a drink problem but getting tugged for speeding, in my view doesn't alter the integrity of the person you are dealing with

No offense taken :)

Cars breaking down, trains late, etc, are OK - they're not under the person's control. same with being held up in traffic becasue of an accident - no their fault. However, driving in a manner that attracts the attention of the police when going to a business meeting shows, IMO, a lack of due regard for the business that you're doing.

Nothing to do with a person's integrity, but if they can't get to an important meeting on time because of their own behaviour then it tells me a lot about their attitude toward the business. At the very least it tells me they are inept in controlling their own actions behind the wheel and/or cannot manage their own time properly.

If a car crashes at 70mph its game over for those inside it, why then does it matter if its going 100mph, the net result is the same?

Well for a start you are far more likely to have a fatal accident at 100mph. Other road users won't anticipate your speed and a car is far less forgiving of any tiny error of judgment at 100mph than it would be at 70mph.

Often it's the consequences for those not in the speeding vehicle. The kinetic energy of an object increases proportionally to the square of the speed. Therefore a vehicle travelling at 100 mph has twice the kinetic energy of one travelling at 70 mph. That can have a devastating effect on innocent people and object s caught up in any incident.

If we have a desire to explore what the law deems as excessive speed, then the appropriate place to do that is the controlled environment of the track - less roadside furniture, everyone (hopefully) travelling in the same direction, mandatory safety gear, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom