Vito 111 CDI Uneven tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had uneven tyre wear on the Viano from new. With some experimenting it turned out to be pressures. MB recommend 33psi normal and 44psi full load. Both pressure gave adverse wear and now run front and back at 38psi which seems to be a good compromise and got 30,000 out of the front pair.

Hi, my first post here.

I have a Vito 111 CDI that was purchased new about 2 years ago.

At about 10000 miles I need to replace the front tyres due to uneven tyre wear. I took it to a dealer and had the alignment/geometry checked. This was done with the van loaded as I normally drive it. They made some adjustments and charged me £100+VAT for the adjustments. I replaced the tyres on the front with same make of tyres (Bridgestone Duravis).

Now at 22000 miles the tyres have uneven tyre wear again.

Left hand side is the worst with outer edge wearing excessively.

Whilst the Van was in for a recall a few weeks ago, I noticed a lot of the Vitos that in the yard at the dealer were showing signs of uneven tyre wear.

Is this normal for a Vito - 10K-13K miles for a set of tyres?

Anybody experienced this and are their any fixes.

Thanks
got about 30,000 on the first contis then replaced them with new contis and had the front dialled in correctly now contis on 55,000 and showing only 50% ware.

i've had two Vitos and a Viano all of them suffered to some degree with wearing outer edges, the earlier sport and the Viano were notably worse, they had the 17" wheels fitted and hey scrub terribly on tight lock as did my old C Class C230k 202 model and it appears to be the castor angles that cause this, i'm just about to put new tyres on the front of the Viano, tracking is spot on, so as i'm paying for these (not a company van) i'm going to increase the tyre pressures which may take some of the load off the front edges, the set on have only done 14000 miles and they have been swapped front to back once, the rears now have about 3.5mm left as have the fronts but the edges of the fronts (originally on the back) are disappearing quickly, the inside edges are also wearing, but also they are cheap Nexen tyres and i had these on another vehicle and they wore quite quickly and also cracked.

Thinking back a while we had Vito service vans at work and these never wore the edges like mine, the only difference is they were always fully loaded, makes some sense, also the viano sits a little high and of course stays that way even when fully loaded, i may check the ride height as this could help.

Mine Vito is 12 months old, runs around empty with just me and a few hand tools in it 99% of the time. It's got the standard 18 inch Merc alloys and front tyres are wore out after 14'000 miles. I'm a steady driver and it's never hit the kerb. Very disappointed at this and local tyre shop tells me it's the same with all later vito's. He also said the tyre size is odd so replacements are £240 each!!! As not much choice. I'm going to change the alloys to something with a more normal van tyre size. Sounds like design fault to me, same way as cruise control stalk is right on top of the key slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom