W124 1991 500E Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another Pic

Paddy, in post 29 you show a pic of your car....it already has the facelift lenses. Yes, they are not the UK version, but the only difference between the UK lense and the lense on your headlight at the moment is the pattern on the glass. That has nothing to do with the physical fitment.

So not sure why tech feels anything needs to change.

BE careful with removal of old lense....the plastic clip tabs can snap if prised up too far.....they only need to be lifted ever so slightly to allow the lense to move free. If he snaps those clips you will need a new unit !:eek:

talbir

talbir

Yes those pics are what has been recently fitted, here is another pic, I have just gone out to car and taken. So if they are the correct lenses but not the correct pattern, then is that an MOT failure. Can the 3 adjusting knobs not bring them in line then?

Paddy

Attachments

• DSC04072.JPG
    DSC04072.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC04073.JPG
    DSC04073.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 89
Yes those pics are what has been recently fitted, here is another pic, I have just gone out to car and taken. So if they are the correct lenses but not the correct pattern, then is that an MOT failure. Can the 3 adjusting knobs not bring them in line then?

Paddy

Yes they are correct lenses, so the UK version will snap straight into place of the ones currently fitted.

No the adjusting knobs won't compensate for the lense pattern - it's totally different on the UK lense and you will not pass MOT without the UK lenses. The knobs adjust for height and angle, but the correct beam pattern is only achieved via the lense.

The tech will have to remove the complete units from the car to fit the lenses, but it should not take more than 30 mins the complete job. He'll have to remove the under-headlamp trims etc, but all he needs is an 8mm spanner. 2 bolts up top, one behind the indicator lense and one accessed from the radiator side (trickier), per lamp.

talbir

Has all the work killed the original bargain purchase price ?

I don't think so, I was originally going to spend circa 40-50,000 on an Audi RS4 or M3, but whats the point in losing all that money as soon as you drive it out of the forecourt. Being a Merc Lover, I think money was best spent on my 500E. 326BHP and circe 350 torque from a pre 1995 super saloon, built by hand and solid as they come.......who wouldn't if they had the cash.

You have top expect to spend money to keep them on form and in good condition and I think that costs you less overall!

Paddy

Yes they are correct lenses, so the UK version will snap straight into place of the ones currently fitted.

No the adjusting knobs won't compensate for the lense pattern - it's totally different on the UK lense and you will not pass MOT without the UK lenses. The knobs adjust for height and angle, but the correct beam pattern is only achieved via the lense.

The tech will have to remove the complete units from the car to fit the lenses, but it should not take more than 30 mins the complete job. He'll have to remove the under-headlamp trims etc, but all he needs is an 8mm spanner. 2 bolts up top, one behind the indicator lense and one accessed from the radiator side (trickier), per lamp.

talbir

Right so I have the correct lenses which is fine but not the UK spec ones! So I have paid Auto Elite to fit me UK Spec Lenses and they have not, they have fitted...what European ones again?

Paddy

talbir

Do you have a picture of E500 or 500E face lift bonnet with correct UK Lenses?

Paddy

Right so I have the correct lenses which is fine but not the UK spec ones! So I have paid Auto Elite to fit me UK Spec Lenses and they have not, they have fitted...what European ones again?

Paddy

I can't tell from looking at the pics whether the lenses are UK or European - you'll have to verify the part number on the lense against the ones shown in the link by Dieselman. If they have fitted new ones, they should have the box the lenses came in, part number will be on there.

I hadn't appreciated that your pics above were after fitment of new lenses.

cheers
talbir

I can't tell from looking at the pics whether the lenses are UK or European - you'll have to verify the part number on the lense against the ones shown in the link by Dieselman. If they have fitted new ones, they should have the box the lenses came in, part number will be on there.

I hadn't appreciated that your pics above were after fitment of new lenses.

cheers
talbir

OK the lenses they fitted are Bosh Lenses and Not Hella lenses, so probably not the right ones hey, Box is yellow printed in Red Bosch, 6 000 770 475, see pic

Paddy

Attachments

• DSC04074.JPG
    DSC04074.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 114
OK the lenses they fitted are Bosh Lenses and Not Hella lenses, so probably not the right ones hey, Box is yellow printed in Red Bosch, 6 000 770 475, see pic

Paddy

Bosch packet says it all....500E / E500 lenses are all Hella AFAIK !

talbir

I don't think so, I was originally going to spend circa 40-50,000 on an Audi RS4 or M3, but whats the point in losing all that money as soon as you drive it out of the forecourt. Being a Merc Lover, I think money was best spent on my 500E. 326BHP and circe 350 torque from a pre 1995 super saloon, built by hand and solid as they come.......who wouldn't if they had the cash.

You have top expect to spend money to keep them on form and in good condition and I think that costs you less overall!

Paddy

So as you still have 35k(?) to play with...........Turbo/Supercharger conversion next on the list ? :)

So as you still have 35k(?) to play with...........Turbo/Supercharger conversion next on the list ? :)

Theres a few things I have considered but do not want to go over board!

Theres not a lot of room under the bonnet to do that much really, need to get all basic working parts and electrical systems fully functional first. Not that there is anything to do really to be honest.

There may be an ASR Light problem looming however:confused:

Thought so mate....right see if I can get hold of some now.............

Where are you based by the way?

Paddy

2 miles from Heathrow Airport (terms 1,2,3).

Pop in for tea next time you're passing by, you are welcome anytime. 500E owners are soul friends !

cheers
talbir

2 miles from Heathrow Airport (terms 1,2,3).

Pop in for tea next time you're passing by, you are welcome anytime. 500E owners are soul friends !

cheers
talbir

Car chat, general blokey talk knowing there is the Mecca of 500E parts just inches away, it's like a kind of torture.

Dave!

Those lenses look fine as far as an MOT test is concerned because the high beam light isn't a testable item other than actually working iirc, and the low beam appears to have the correct cut out for sending the angled beam upwards towards the left (n/s).

They look like standard W124 lenses, not 500E ones, as correctly pointed out as different by talbir.

The numbers I posted up were for a pre facelift car as you said it was a 1990 car.
I think you will need the items for code 840 as that is for later build cars, so I suspect this means facelifted ones. Worth checking against a facelift car VIN. See the notes at the bottom of the detaili page for the break point.

A1248205966 Left, left side traffic Price: £69.68
A1248206066 Right, left side traffic. Price: £69.68

Talbir - I have a single brand new Ceginus Evo II wheel 17x8.25ET35 here - any good to you?

Couldn't Resist - Bought the Brabus!!!

OK so thought about it and thought about it some more and thought sod it and clicked buy me now !!!!
crazy.gif

Have bought some genuine brabus springs for my 500E

Fitting these will take the height up a bit at the front and when fitted with new shocks (if required) and shock bumps stops and possibly strut mounts....hopefully we will be sorted

If the stock shocks are knackered or not working 100%, what would be the best shocks to fit/work with the brabus springs?

will update

Paddy

Attachments

• c83a_1.jpg
    c83a_1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom