W124 1991 500E Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im sure stock shocks are ok... you have to remove one section of the bump stop though...

Im sure stock shocks are ok... you have to remove one section of the bump stop though...

Yeah, maybe, will check on condition of stock shocks first and see that they work well. If have to replace then may upgrade to Spax Adjustables as recco'd by talbir with new bump stops.

Jaymanek? Does talbirs ex Silver/Your new 500E have a Brabus back box?

Paddy

yes it does ;) dont ask me for a part number though as i didnt write it down when I had the exhaust redone.... pretty sure its a W210 part number..

yes it does ;) dont ask me for a part number though as i didnt write it down when I had the exhaust redone.... pretty sure its a W210 part number..

A W210 Brabus Exhaust on a 500E?

Is it a genuine Brabus Exhaust?

How does it sound?

Paddy

Yeah thats what I think to, but if you see a pic of the car, its more dragster like set up and I do not think has been lowered that much at the rear.

You can have whatever ride height you want as long as you then set the geometry correct again.
For that you will need special kits to either pull the lower arms inward or push the upper arms outward.

At present the tyre is screwing into a cone shape as you drive which is causing the tread to skid against itself as the tyre rotates.

Yep, i that's a w210 Brabus rear box on the silver E, fitment points are almost identical, but a bit of modification to hanging points depending on how far you want it to poke out the rear !

Sound ? OMFG awesome ! Take the centre box out for full effect !! :bannana:

If your car is pre Aug 92, then take the cats out and fit a freeflow there, both for balancing and maintaining backpressure.

talbir

Brabus Springs have arrived

Brabus Springs have arrived, with accompanying paperwork

This paperwork should be able to tell me spring rate, fully-compressed length and fully-extended length for each corner should it not....its all in German obviously!

I could do with confirmation of genuine parts numbers on the following parts please and approx costs?

Front Dampers ...............................

Front Top Mounts/3 bolts..................................

Shock Bump Stops...............................................

Spring Pads.............................................

2 x Rubber Boots...........................................

Rear Torque Arms......................................

Paddy

I imagine the spring rate will be shown in N/mm. To convert that to lb / in multiply by 5.7

I'd be interested to know what the spring rate is, front & rear

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I imagine the spring rate will be shown in N/mm. To convert that to lb / in multiply by 5.7

I'd be interested to know what the spring rate is, front & rear

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick, I will have to get paperwork translated!!

Does this help?

Brabus%20tech%20Jargon.jpg

Mit Niveau-regulierung is with self-levelling suspension and ohne is without. Schraubenfeder will be spring, Aubendurchmesser will be outside diameter, Drahtdurchmesser is wire diameter and I think Gesamtwindungszahl will the number of turns ("totally turns counted")

So the front springs are 110 mm diameter (4.4"), wire diameter is 16 mm (about 0.6"), free length is 365 mm (14.4") and there are 10.25 turns

Rears are 4" diameter, 14 mm wire, free length is 290 mm (11.4") and there are 9.8 turns

No word on spring rate

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Mit Niveau-regulierung is with self-levelling suspension and ohne is without. Schraubenfeder will be spring, Aubendurchmesser will be outside diameter, Drahtdurchmesser is wire diameter and I think Gesamtwindungszahl will the number of turns ("totally turns counted")

So the front springs are 110 mm diameter (4.4"), wire diameter is 16 mm (about 0.6"), free length is 365 mm (14.4") and there are 10.25 turns

Rears are 4" diameter, 14 mm wire, free length is 290 mm (11.4") and there are 9.8 turns

No word on spring rate

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks, I will see if I can get the spring rate from Brabus...what do you think to these...................

http://www.rdmtek.com/Shock_Towers.html

If you put the physical characteristics of the spring into a calculator the fronts work out to be around 526 lb/ft and the rears 737 lb/ft

On the face of it the rear being stiffer than the front doesn't make any sense because the car allegedly had a 50/50 weight distribution with 2 passengers and 175 lb luggage. On that basis the spring rate should be the same front & rear to make the fundamental frequency the same each end. But, when you take the motion ratio into account, I'd expect the effective spring rate to work out to be about the same

I would think the adjustable top mounts would be overkill for a road car and they'd allow a lot more NVH into the cabin. They're useful for adjusting camber on race cars which run lots of negative camber with sticky tyres but unless you're cornering on the doorhandles with sticky tyres I don't think you'll find a benefit

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
I would think the adjustable top mounts would be overkill for a road car and they'd allow a lot more NVH into the cabin. They useful for adjusting camber on race cars which run lots of negative camber with sticky tyres but unless you're cornering on the doorhandles with sticky tyres I don't think you'll find a benefit

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

This was my reasoning behind not getting a set.

On 500E.com they rave about them, ye when my top mounts had gone hard and were 16 years old the difference between them and new ones was quite obvious. Less NVH in the cabin and expecially on badly cared for roads.

Are your front tyres wearing evenly?

Dave!

This was my reasoning behind not getting a set.

On 500E.com they rave about them, ye when my top mounts had gone hard and were 16 years old the difference between them and new ones was quite obvious. Less NVH in the cabin and expecially on badly cared for roads.

Are your front tyres wearing evenly?

Dave!

Wearing on inners and as per all previous posts etc, gonna get Brabus springs fitted, new dampers, new mounts, new bumps stops with 1 segment removed and new spring pads, see how we go with that

Paddy

Wearing on inners and as per all previous posts etc, gonna get Brabus springs fitted, new dampers, new mounts, new bumps stops with 1 segment removed and new spring pads, see how we go with that

Paddy

Ahh, sorry I had it in my head that only the rears were wearing unevenly.

Dave

I'm still at a loss as to how you are going to bring the camber back into spec without raising the car again.

I previously mentioned someones drop on a 500E causing too much camber so would wear the tyres and was tlold it wasn't. It must do as it pushes the bottom of the wheel out.

If staying with lowered suspension you need to either bring the bottom of the wheels in or push the tops out by about 12mm.

You can get camber correction arms for the back, also there is a fair amount of adjustment in general.

I'm surprised at the amount of wear considering the small difference in camber compared to mine.

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom