w202 C43 vs C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had mine redone at SiLeck about 3 years ago. Was around £350.
Genuine was available at around £1200.

Cheers Gareth - is that for the loom including installation? If so that's not as bad as I feared. Well the £350 I mean not £1200!

Did you do it as a precaution or did things start playing up?

There's no way there are any cars left with the original loom that had the issue after 23 years...

Maybe Karl, but a dealer I spoke to was unaware of the issue and couldn't find anything in service docs saying it had been done. That was a Japanese import car though so maybe it's all in Japanese!!:D:D

Did you do it as a precaution or did things start playing up?
Slight misfire one day, it was degrading by the coil packs. Rest if the loom looked ok, but decided to get it done properly. I removed it and sent it to SiLeck.

Slight misfire one day, it was degrading by the coil packs. Rest if the loom looked ok, but decided to get it done properly. I removed it and sent it to SiLeck.

:thumb: was it a reasonable job to remove and refit then or bit of a nightmare?

Mostly, straight forward, I just took loads of pictures. Some of the connectors are a pig to get to though.

Great description lol. I think I prefer non Designo in this case... Strong money and not particularly low mileage...

I like look of that one and think that is the best exterior colour. I like the designo interior too. Seems over priced though.
I still need to get a go in a c36. The more I have thought about it, the more I think I like the idea of a c36 over a c43. I'm hoping to see my first c36 tomorrow, so that will give me a chance to compare.
Trouble is I go away on holiday for a week this coming Thursday. On my return I will be putting my e55K wagon up for sale and I will take things from there.
Been driving my old wagon a bit over past few days. F*** me it's such a great car. Just so much character to a sorted 55K engine, I still do not think there is much new machinery that will come close to the sensation.

I'm hoping a w202 will bring something else in another way.

Difficult to gauge w202 amg prices. Some stuff just seems way too optimistically priced. Seems excellent cars have sold for 7-8K, while there are some advertised far higher and they look nothing special including the c43 I viewed the other week. I wouldn't have paid 7K for tha car and it was up for 13K.

Difficult to gauge w202 amg prices. Some stuff just seems way too optimistically priced. Seems excellent cars have sold for 7-8K, while there are some advertised far higher and they look nothing special including the c43 I viewed the other week. I wouldn't have paid 7K for tha car and it was up for 13K.

You are not wrong pal, they really are all over the place. For those that are in the know on what to look for, will know what the car is worth and what it will cost to put right. Others will fall for the shiney paintwork the car my have just been sprayed over, coupled with the hard wearing interior (which I always think wears its mileage well) they do come up well.

I would expect anything the other side of £10k to be pretty much excellent condition needing no work doing to it, the £15k mark as the link above I would have expected it to have had some decent resto work undertaken.

W202 AMG prices have been all over the place for a while.
They seemed to bottom out around 5 years ago, they started creeping a little, but presentable looking examples were still around £4k.
Then some bright spark put a C36 up at £13k, it looked reasonably presentable, though the staggered wheels were fitted wrong.
After that sellers jumped on thinking if that's £13k, my POS has to be worth £8k.
Project cars were being touted for £4k.

At the moment very little is selling, the whole classic market looks deflated.
There are the odd ones selling; I was reliably informed a few months ago that Amari Supercars sold a nice C43 for £20k.
Fair play to them, looking at Mr Amari's stock list though, £20k is likely chump change for some of his clients.

Seeing the asking prices creeping, made me pull the trigger and look for a C43 earlier this year.
I very nearly bought a C43 Estate, seller wanted £5k (a bit of a project), I saw it at £3-£3.5k, he decided to keep it until the prices went up further. As far as I know it is still with him.

There is a very nice looking C43 estate up at £14k, been up for a long time.
Jay's red C43 estate is worth every penny, stunning and priced on the nose.
An early C36 on eBait, in Silver at £9k, looks reasonably honest, high miles, but nothing scary in the MOT history. But why oh why would you not spend
£25 on a new bonnet star! It's been for sale for a while, likely a £7k car in all honesty.

just my 0.02

edited to add; Abb beat me to it, teach me to be so wordy...

W202 AMG prices have been all over the place for a while.
They seemed to bottom out around 5 years ago, they started creeping a little, but presentable looking examples were still around £4k.
Then some bright spark put a C36 up at £13k, it looked reasonably presentable, though the staggered wheels were fitted wrong.
After that sellers jumped on thinking if that's £13k, my POS has to be worth £8k.
Project cars were being touted for £4k.

At the moment very little is selling, the whole classic market looks deflated.
There are the odd ones selling; I was reliably informed a few months ago that Amari Supercars sold a nice C43 for £20k.
Fair play to them, looking at Mr Amari's stock list though, £20k is likely chump change for some of his clients.

Seeing the asking prices creeping, made me pull the trigger and look for a C43 earlier this year.
I very nearly bought a C43 Estate, seller wanted £5k (a bit of a project), I saw it at £3-£3.5k, he decided to keep it until the prices went up further. As far as I know it is still with him.

There is a very nice looking C43 estate up at £14k, been up for a long time.
Jay's red C43 estate is worth every penny, stunning and priced on the nose.
An early C36 on eBait, in Silver at £9k, looks reasonably honest, high miles, but nothing scary in the MOT history. But why oh why would you not spend
£25 on a new bonnet star! It's been for sale for a while, likely a £7k car in all honesty.

just my 0.02

edited to add; Abb beat me to it, teach me to be so wordy...

Was the c43 estate a white one? If so that one sold some weeks ago I think. Not sure what it went for. Looked a nice car, other than it was white which I fo not think really suits the car.

I saw the Ebay one advertised. Looks pretty tired for that sort of money. As you say having no bonnet star is a bit if a sign to me that it isn't cared for.

Was the c43 estate a white one? If so that one sold some weeks ago I think. Not sure what it went for. Looked a nice car, other than it was white which I do not think really suits the car.
White is a bit too poverty spec looking in that period (he says, having ordered a new company car in white..). There is a local guy to me with a white C36, he has had it from new. He enjoys telling the story that when he ordered it, MB refused to process the order unless a sizable deposit was left, they were convinced he would reject it when he saw it.

I saw the Ebay one advertised. Looks pretty tired for that sort of money. As you say having no bonnet star is a bit if a sign to me that it isn't cared for.
That's how I see it. Likely only one key (though I believe MB have reintroduced the flip key recently), MOT history has advisories and failings for worn tyres too.
Though there is a certain honesty about that car, still has a period Blaukpunt stereo, the under bonnet not been pressure washed to death and it retains the rare early AMG boot badge.
I would hazard the dealer saw it at auction cheap, or took as p/x and does not know what to do with it.

I am contemplating on selling mine - This picture taken on Saturday

IMG_0395.jpg

I am contemplating on selling mine - This picture taken on Saturday

IMG_0395.jpg
Lovely. Best colour in 202 too imo. As much as I love quick wagons I still think I prefer the look of a 202 in saloon form for some reason. But......... that is a nice one and may change my mind on that:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom