w202 C43 vs C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it was difficult to find a really nice 202 ten years ago, the gulf between clean cars and poor ones will definitely have widened by now and the years have accelerated the rust issue from cosmetic blistering to structural issues now.

If you’re after a really nice one it’s got to be worth considering a Japanese import? :cool:

I concur with the above posts about corrosion. The minters are being kept hold of, what few there are.
Japanese import is likely the way to go, I'm not a fan of the gawpy boot lid on the Asia 202's but easy enough to fit an EU lid if it bothered you.
Even if you were hung up on the wood vs faux carbon, a full set of preloved carbon can be found quite easily as it's shared with the respective Sport model

I concur with the above posts about corrosion. The minters are being kept hold of, what few there are.
Japanese import is likely the way to go, I'm not a fan of the gawpy boot lid on the Asia 202's but easy enough to fit an EU lid if it bothered you.
Even if you were hung up on the wood vs faux carbon, a full set of preloved carbon can be found quite easily as it's shared with the respective Sport model

That is a good point about the boot lid. The 1995 Japanese car I put link up for does have a different looking boot lid resulting in a square rather than rectangular number plate. I hadn't realised until you have just mentioned it why it didn't look quite right. Actually the 1997 one has a different looking lid too, but in a different way. It looks to have an additional swage line along the bottom edge, which now I'm looking properly is the same as the c43 boot lid. Other c36's seem not to have that and are nice and clean.
https://uploads.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/mercedes/11694866.jpg
Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz AMG | For Sale in Isleworth | XJ Cars

Unfortunately the 1997 car in London sold last week, as I was hoping to arrange to see that one last Friday. Looks a nice car from the pics.

Just keep the good one then, you know you want to. :)

This Simon! As much as I have a sot spot for the W202 and having owned a CLS 55, I wouldn't replace the 55 with either a 36 or 43! Especially something as nice as your wagon. Having a 36/43 along side your wagon I understand, as the W202 will always need some attention IMO, but replacing it i think you may live to regret it.

Just my 2p worth.

This Simon! As much as I have a sot spot for the W202 and having owned a CLS 55, I wouldn't replace the 55 with either a 36 or 43! Especially something as nice as your wagon. Having a 36/43 along side your wagon I understand, as the W202 will always need some attention IMO, but replacing it i think you may live to regret it.

Just my 2p worth.

Maybe you're right Abb. You have experienced both so know the score well. The thing is I get these ideas and seems just about everyone else thinks I'm doing a wrong'un!! Bloody Hell!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Just my 2p worth.
I’d agree with all of that ^^

If you’re going to buy one, keep it alongside the E55 then I think you’d be able to appreciate both in their own right.

If I could only have one, I’d have the E55K.

Maybe you're right Abb. You have experienced both so know the score well. The thing is I get these ideas and seems just about everyone else thinks I'm doing a wrong'un!! Bloody Hell!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I understand where you are coming from pal. On more than one occasion when I had ideas about my 43, I do think I should have listened to the voices that were outside my head :wallbash:

As it is due for completion any day now (folk may have heard that once or twice before :oops:) I may have a different view. Really is a shame the metal quality was so poor and led to the demise of such vehicles.

Really my car has become an occasional weekend use car. Even after over 9 years of ownership I love every moment I'm in it and even just looking at it, as sad as that sounds.
I do not really need the functionality of an estate now though as I've got my new Vito 119 crew van for everyday stuff. So I thought I could maybe get something older and classic as my mileage is really quite limited now. I know that is the complete opposite to what most are doing when they move on from a 55K, but nothing newer really appeals at all! Ok I've always fancied a CL65, but that's about it. Also ideally I'd like to come out with a few £K in my pocket for a few little things planned in my house. So I can't have both and I can't get a 500e that I'd really love. I've always liked the c43 (and now the c36) so thought that would be a good way to go and I'd still have a car that felt a little special to me but......:dk::doh: I've also thought about W124's besides the 500e, but other engine variants are probably lacking a bit for me.

You lot are a bit of a nightmare whenever I've had the slightest thought of selling my car. All much appreciated though.

What about a CL55K if you’re looking for something that little bit special?

They really are wonderful to drive..

It was having a drive with Alx in his CL55K a few back at vmax that really made me appreciate the CL. Ok his one was modified under the bonnet, but besides that it was the interior that really impressed me. The quality of materials is top class and the leather was gorgeous. A CL has such presence and feels special, but.... as much as I love a 55K I wouldn't have another car with that same engine as I've already had one and mine is a good one with my carefully selected mods. There is always that thing too for me knowing there is a better variant available and by that I mean a 65 with a CL. So if I got a CL I'd want a V12 and can't afford one of those.

What about a CL55K if you’re looking for something that little bit special?

I must agree. The best looking MB Coupe ever made, stunning.:D A joy to drive, especially when the ABC is working :rolleyes:

I must agree. The best looking MB Coupe ever made, stunning.:D A joy to drive, especially when the ABC is working :rolleyes:

One of I reckon Peter, always loved the CL's, but...... I'd still have a 560sec amg as the ultimate first choice followed by a w124 E36 amg coupe then the w215 CL65. I also love the standard 560sec as long as it has the right wheels:thumb:

That is a good point about the boot lid. The 1995 Japanese car I put link up for does have a different looking boot lid resulting in a square rather than rectangular number plate. I hadn't realised until you have just mentioned it why it didn't look quite right. Actually the 1997 one has a different looking lid too, but in a different way. It looks to have an additional swage line along the bottom edge, which now I'm looking properly is the same as the c43 boot lid. Other c36's seem not to have that and are nice and clean.

Pre-facelift was a simpler pressing with no swage line. The facelift brought the swage line and a very subtle lip on the rear edge of the boot lid.

I also love the standard 560sec as long as it has the right wheels

Anna has never forgiven me :mad: for selling her 560SEC and it had the correct wheels. I changed it for the C43 :)

Regarding wiring loom issues on the C36. Does anyone know costs to get it replaced? I'm sure I read somewhere its roughly £1K from MB, but is that just the loom or does that include installation? Or is it an easy DIY to just get the loom and fit yourself?

There's no way there are any cars left with the original loom that had the issue after 23 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom