W205/ S205 Wind Noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
my car went in today, they initially said there was no wind noise and I asked if they had been above 50mph. 2 hours later I get another phone call to say they are changing both the drivers/passengers front door glass so these are on order. To add which is off topic there is a software update if anyone is having issues with the remote boot open/close on the key fob/waving your foot under the bumper and a new drivers side grab handle is being fitted as they can hear the annoying rattle but cannot get rid of it

I can report the same response as Yogib after my car was booked into the local dealership - Acoustic glass ordered for front doors. I will let you know what the improvement is like once its fitted.

Great stuff thanks for reporting back, sounds like it's worth booking in then!
(I'm too used to responses of other brands like "It's a feature of this model" :doh: Shouldn't assume MB would be the same!)

I don't have the wind noise, but would have gone for the acoustic glass if it was an option in the UK. Can you guys post back on the sound insulation at lower speeds where you don't get your wind noise.

Maybe also just jack up your music at full blast and stand outside your car, before and after.

Hope it isolated the wind noise anyway.

Wind noise

I have a 250 saloon and no noise at all pleasure to drive

I have just taken delivery of a new S205 C200 Sport Estate and it definitely has bad wind noise. It appears to be coming from the top of the drivers window and starts to become noticeable at 60mph and gets quite bad at 70. It is as though the window is not totally closed, and appears to be exactly the same as the wind noise reported by multiple W205 C300 owners in the US in 2014 and 2015. I had hoped that the problem had been fixed by now and I believe Mercedes had eventually acknowledged the existence of excessive wind noise and had released a Technical Service Bulletin. My car was built in Bremen in the second half of June 2016 so clearly the problems are not yet over.

Very disappointing,otherwise I am very pleased with the car and particularly enjoy the strong torquey midrange

The car was booked in today to the local MB dealer after I complained about the wind noise from the top of both front windows. I gave the service department guy a copy of the MB Technical Service Bulletin relating to W205 wind noise, but I need'nt have bothered because he was already aware of the fix and had ordered in a set of acoustic glass front windows.
These were fitted this morning along with making the other adjustments to the door and window seals, collected the car this afternoon, and problem solved!
No more excessive wind noise, it may not be as quiet as a Rolls Royce but it is now as good as son's A6 Avant.

Where would I get a copy of the service bulletin, just incase my car develops wind noise?

Out of curiosity whats the difference between the standard glass and the accustic version ?

I believe the acoustic glass is laminated with something in the middle of the sandwich to deaden the noise transmission - someone can correct me if I am wrong! I think the acoustic glass is not as tinted (so I have been told).

After I started the thread I have just taken delivery of a new S205 and I don't have a problem that I would complain about! There is a slight buffeting noise at 70 - 80 but very hard to pick out and nothing I would have an issue with.

Where would I get a copy of the service bulletin, just incase my car develops wind noise?

The Mercedes reference for the TSB is GI72.10-P-061763

Below is an English translation

Official wind noice service bulletin - Page 8 - MBWorld.org Forums

I hope the above link works.

To answer the other points raised:

- the acoustic glass is simply two layers of glass pressed tightly together, there is no central gap as you get with domestic double glazing.
- it is the same colour as the standard windows, not darkened.
- you can clearly see the two layers if you open the window and look down on it
- the TSB only covers replacing the front windows with acoustic ones, the rear windows are not included (although there have been several mentions of wind noise in the rear, but not in my case)

I believe that fitting the acoustic glass does not fix the basic problem, it just makes it less audible. The basic problem is to do with the design of the doors, wing mirrors, windows and their sealing, and there are instructions to the dealer to check these items before fitting the acoustic windows.

Clearly most W205 cars are not affected by the problem, it is only a small minority I would think, but still very annoying if it happens to you. Interestingly enough the loan S205 C220d loan estate that I had yesterday also suffered from the same wind noise at anything above 58mph and was really bad at 75. But being a loan car I suppose that no-one has complained.

My car went in today for various jobs, main issue was the wind noise. Acoustic glass fitted and sounds much better so very happy with that. Next job was the panoramic roof, constant squeaking until tilted which is when it stopped. They lubed it so was quiet on the way back but started squeaking again so it needs a new roof fitted and will fit the new motor required for the boot lid at the same time so need to wait for parts again

My brand new w205 (250d prem plus) is only 2 days old and has this wind noise issue. Driving me insane! My question is - if the glass is replaced it means the doors are stripped out and re-assembled right? My concern is that it may cause rattling and creaking in the future... wonder if it's worth rejecting the car because of this...

This was my concern that they may be creating another problem but so far no issues. I will know more once they solve the panoramic roof seals squeaking

A quick update - I've today returned the car to the dealer after formally rejecting it because of the wind-noise issue. It's been serviced twice with no resolution. Glass replaced and door geometry tweaked, but the wind is still noticeable at motorway speeds.

Great car apart from that, so if they can find me one that is not suffering from this, I'd be happy to lease it again!

A quick update - I've today returned the car to the dealer after formally rejecting it because of the wind-noise issue. It's been serviced twice with no resolution. Glass replaced and door geometry tweaked, but the wind is still noticeable at motorway speeds.

Great car apart from that, so if they can find me one that is not suffering from this, I'd be happy to lease it again!

Wanted to push this thread up in case someone is looking at the new c-class... I've read multiple reports now which suggest that MB might have found a solution! It appears that the acoustic glass, along with new felt insulation makes the car noise-free. I'd be interested to learn if someone in the UK has had this done and their feedback.

If that's the case then I'll be looking at another c250d straight away!

The odd thing is not all W205 have this wind noise at motorway speeds.

Mine went in last year for them to look into this. All they did was replace a door seal which helped slightly (if making the door more difficult to close). Now it seems the wind noise is back - probably as the seal is no longer as fresh.

I'll be booking it in soon for them to sort out. Hopefully with some acoustic glass and new felt.

The noise of passing stationary cars is very noticeable at low speeds.

Been running around in my son's S205 C220 and can't believe how much quieter it is. Definitely putting wind noise on the list for the next service.

Interesting... is it relatively new? I've read some online reports from the US suggesting the 'felt' insulation makes all the difference. I couldn't find a similar TSB for it though. I'm looking at getting another c250d but 4matic this time. I'm hoping it won't be noisy, and if it is I'll be back at the dealers asking for glass and felt replacement.

Interesting... is it relatively new? I've read some online reports from the US suggesting the 'felt' insulation makes all the difference. I couldn't find a similar TSB for it though. I'm looking at getting another c250d but 4matic this time. I'm hoping it won't be noisy, and if it is I'll be back at the dealers asking for glass and felt replacement.
You would think/hope that they would be adding the felt insulation & acoustic glass to all new C-Classes coming off the production line now ! or are the waiting for the Facelift to add this. You would think/hope not as they can still do mid model mini facelifts such as the Ash trim, analog clock, 9 speed auto box etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom