Was my offer to low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had the worst experience ever visiting a Mercedes dealer today as the sales guy turned out to be rude, arrogant with a f***** attitude :mad:.

I drove from London all the up to Reading to go see this car (one posted earlier in Thread), took it for a test drive and immediately thought yep this is the car for me.

During the test drive I specifically asked him what the cost of the Road tax is and he said it could be £450 but he will check.

Went back to the office now to talk numbers and hopefully agree on a deal. We both came to an agreement so for the car, Gap insurance, Road Fund Licence ( after him confirming it's actually £140 and not £450 but then back tracking later) including delivery to London all for £30,235.00 which I was happy with so he proceeded with getting all the paperwork ready.

Half way through this, he went to see his manager to get the deal signed off, it was at this point where all the problems Started.

After the sales guy speaking with his manager to get the deal signed off, he came back and told me the Road Tax is actually £450 and I now have to pay for this.

This is when I disputed the additional £450 and said he will have to honour it as it was part of the deal. It was at this point he started back tracking on his word and disputing the fact he ever agreed to it in the first place :mad:.

After some exchanges he became rude, arrogant and pushy hoping I will just give in and agree to the extra cost, which I didn't.

After a couple minutes of toing and froing, I just thought to myself f**** this, and said to him I don't want to go ahead anymore, he then became argumentative, so I simply stood up and said I'm going and I want my refundable deposit of £500 back which I paid before going up there to minimise a wasted journey if someone decided to buy it. His response was ' see ya later, I don't want to sell the car to you anyway. :mad:

Driving back home, he calls me and tries to explain what a Road Fund License is and how all driver have to pay ( I ****ing know this lol). I said to him after the way you treated me, I wasn't interested.

When I got home I made a complaint to his manager who was apologetic.

Half hour later I get a call from the sales guy apologising for his actions, which I accepted just to move on.

He was still pushing for a sale!. He must of called me back about 3 or 4 times after the apology still trying to sell me the car. After numerous calls, he offered to sell me the car for £30,300, which I turned down because of all this.

I even wrote a review on Facebook and he begged me to take it down as he might lose his job over it.
As I'm a good person and I didn't want him to lose his job over it, I agreed to take my review down after Mercedes Benz UK responded back to my review by saying they will investigate.

I have never ever been spoken to or treated like how I was today especially from a main Mercedes Benz dealer.

Deep down I felt I was getting a good deal and I would of went for it in the end if the guy was polite and didn't turn out to be an arrogant ****er with a chip on his shoulder.

I'll wait a couple more weeks and see what comes up or buy a new car through carwow or drive the deal.

This was my experience at Mercedes Benz Reading.
I think you will get a far better deal now as it’s after the 19 plate. I use the DTD price to negotiate a good discount and you may be pleasantly surprised what you need to pay for a new one, especially if you’ll take one from stock. DTD have a C200D Sport PP for £ 31k

The maximum by law if you settle is a month interest, so not much. Best thing is to Withdraw - you get charged a few days interest - literally a few £.

yip.. . settle within cooling off period with no penalty.
it is easy to get a 2.8% APR unsecured personal loan if you dont fancy the 11.9% rates at a dealer -

But if you have negotiated a deal in which you have agreed to take out finance then the dealer isn't going to be happy with you if you then settle immediately and they lose their commission.

"Tough" you might well say, but not great for you either if you want to maintain an on-going relationship with them for servicing and future purchases.

But if you have negotiated a deal in which you have agreed to take out finance then the dealer isn't going to be happy with you if you then settle immediately and they lose their commission.

"Tough" you might well say, but not great for you either if you want to maintain an on-going relationship with them for servicing and future purchases.

In 35 years of buying new cars for wife and I - and in the last 10 years with buying daughters' cars too, that's meant one most years - I've never experienced this 'relationship' thing you speak of. The nearest to it was the little Honda dealer we used for some years, but Honda canned them and the new dealer is the worst of all the dealers I've dealt with - we only still go there as the car is on a service contract and there's no other dealer within reasonable reach.

I've always found sales and service completely disconnected - the Mercedes dealer I used was particularly bad for that. It was also noteable there that staff turnover seemed high - I rarely dealt with the same person twice.

I think you will get a far better deal now as it’s after the 19 plate. I use the DTD price to negotiate a good discount and you may be pleasantly surprised what you need to pay for a new one, especially if you’ll take one from stock. DTD have a C200D Sport PP for £ 31k

Some staggeringly good deals through these types of brokers, quite often cheaper than buying a 12-18month old car from a main dealer.

I got two really good offers on both the C Class and E Class from Carwow today.

Mercedes C-Class Saloon
C220d 9G-Tronic AMG Line Premium Plus, Automatic, Diesel TOTAL RRP £44,955.00
4 extra options - Leather upholstery, Privacy Screen, 19"AMG Alloys, Grey Oak open pore trim with centre console.

Total Price for £35,682.00 (with discount)subject to PCP.

Mercedes E-Class Saloon
E220d 9G-Tronic AMG Line Premium Plus, Automatic, Diesel
Total RRP £44,955.00

Total Price with Discount £35,778.00 subject to PCP.

Hardly anything init between the two. I Test drove a E-Class today and the ride was something else.
Don't know which deal to go for now, what would you go for?

In terms of financing the car, I was looking to pay £30k cash for the car, and the balance through finance, so to secure the discount shall I take out a PCP deal with a deposit of £30k and then cancel the finance within 14 days and pay it off with a bank loan which is a lot cheaper, 1.89% I'm being offered currently.
This is where I don't know what to do.

Are you sure you want to put £30k cash into a new C220 which will probably depreciate significantly within 3 years?

If I were you I’d be looking at one 3 years old sold by a main dealer with warranty, it’ll have low miles and for the most part be as good as new and have already depreciated significantly. You will then have £10k+ free to spend on other things.

Just my opinion :thumb:

Are you sure you want to put £30k cash into a new C220 which will probably depreciate significantly within 3 years?

If I were you I’d be looking at one 3 years old sold by a main dealer with warranty, it’ll have low miles and for the most part be as good as new and have already depreciated significantly. You will then have £10k+ free to spend on other things.

Thanks for your post. Very Good Point.The trouble is I can only drive a car which is less then 6 years old at work. If I get an older model then I will have to change it in a few years.Even though I do less then 4000 miles a year.

Last edited:
If you do so few miles, why not go for a petrol and avoid any DPF issues?

Thanks for your post. Very Good Point.The trouble is I can only drive a car which is less then 6 years old at work.

Why is that? (Sorry - just being nosey! Wracking my brains trying to think of a job/occupation where you have to supply your own car and your employer cares in this way about what it is...)

Why is that? (Sorry - just being nosey! Wracking my brains trying to think of a job/occupation where you have to supply your own car and your employer cares in this way about what it is...)

+1

I know a few companies with that policy myself and I think @Bobby Dazzler has a similar thing at his work too.

I guess the employer is contributing to a car allowance and deems a car upto 6 years old will be more reliable than an older car.

I guess the employer is contributing to a car allowance and deems a car upto 6 years old will be more reliable than an older car.

Yes, my previous employer had that policy. Either you took a Company car, or you took the allowance, but your car had to be less than six years old. Trying to get them to contribute to my R107 just didn't work!

I got two really good offers on both the C Class and E Class from Carwow today.

Mercedes C-Class Saloon
C220d 9G-Tronic AMG Line Premium Plus, Automatic, Diesel TOTAL RRP £44,955.00
4 extra options - Leather upholstery, Privacy Screen, 19"AMG Alloys, Grey Oak open pore trim with centre console.

Total Price for £35,682.00 (with discount)subject to PCP.

Mercedes E-Class Saloon
E220d 9G-Tronic AMG Line Premium Plus, Automatic, Diesel
Total RRP £44,955.00

Total Price with Discount £35,778.00 subject to PCP.

Hardly anything init between the two. I Test drove a E-Class today and the ride was something else.
Don't know which deal to go for now, what would you go for?

In terms of financing the car, I was looking to pay £30k cash for the car, and the balance through finance, so to secure the discount shall I take out a PCP deal with a deposit of £30k and then cancel the finance within 14 days and pay it off with a bank loan which is a lot cheaper, 1.89% I'm being offered currently.
This is where I don't know what to do.
I came out of a 2015 C class into a new E Class and the E is streets ahead of the C in every way. The main difference in trim between the cars quoted is that the C has leather and the E has vinyl Artico - some people prefer it to leather others don’t. The E comes with the widescreen ‘cockpit’ rather than a stuck on iPad, that alone would seal it for a lot of buyers.
Drive the Deal has the same price so that seems to be the best market price. I suggest you speak to your local dealer, armed with CarWow & DtD and see if there is a stock car with a few more options available. If you can get Driving Assistance it really is worth the cost. If you want standard leather get the SE but you may prefer the AMG bits, particularly the Artico dash.
There is an informative article here about cancelling PCP’s and keeping the discount after paying it off PCP - cancellation rights | Forum | The Car Expert
Good luck - with your mileage I would go with a petrol, an E200 is only 1 second slower 0-60 than a E220 but about the same price.

I know a few companies with that policy myself and I think @Bobby Dazzler has a similar thing at his work too.

It’s not unusual in larger businesses who wish to manage their image, especially in terms of impact on the environment, whereby an emissions cap is placed upon cars used for company business. Howeve

In my particular case the limitations are no convertibles, a maximum of 6 years old, minimum of four seats and four doors, and less that 159 g/km CO2. That’s imposed upon company cars, and those who opt out must follow the same rules on the car they use for company business (must also be insured for business use).

I’m not very good at it.

Oh yes - make sense - and I remember this from a long time ago when I was the lucky beneficiary of the same perk. There were rules for the car you could have, but no rules for how you spent the money. You could spend it on wine, women and song, but as this was a technology research lab, nobody did.

In 35 years of buying new cars for wife and I - and in the last 10 years with buying daughters' cars too, that's meant one most years - I've never experienced this 'relationship' thing you speak of. The nearest to it was the little Honda dealer we used for some years, but Honda canned them and the new dealer is the worst of all the dealers I've dealt with - we only still go there as the car is on a service contract and there's no other dealer within reasonable reach.

I've always found sales and service completely disconnected - the Mercedes dealer I used was particularly bad for that. It was also noteable there that staff turnover seemed high - I rarely dealt with the same person twice.

I think that's the case for a lot of people - myself included.

However, if you have negotiated and agreed a deal with which both you and the dealer are happy and you know that the dealer has agreed to it because of the commission earned on the finance scheme then to settle quickly knowing that they will lose their commission equates to pulling a fast one.

And I know that business is business and dealers have few friends but if you agree to a deal you should stick to it.

With the 19 plates having come out a few weeks ago, the likes of BCA will have large numbers of 16 plate cars going through their sales which will have just come off fleet after three years.

They will each have a fairly detailed mechanical and body condition report and a car with a £65k - £70k list price in 2016 could be had with a sensible mileage for around £30k.

And they will be much better than a new C220 !

I work for a construction company, so I get given a monthly car allowance of around £500 on top of my salary, so the company expect me to drive a decent car for work and not in some old banger. :)

I did consider leasing but I won't own anything in the end.

I went back to the main dealer today and asked him to match carwow price, he is going to talk to his boss when he back in the office tomorrow but he did say he should be able to match the offer.One Same car is available within two weeks, but the one he has in stock and is available within two weeks has the night time edition, whilst the carwow offer doesn't. That's the only difference.

I'll also look into the E220, but mind you the two previous diesels cars I owned, I had no issues with the DPF due to low mileage. If I do end up getting the E-Class I'll make sure I go on long road trips:)

The E Class looks by far superior when I sat in one yesterday :)

Is the servicing costs similar to the C Class?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom